Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Raked pics ?

chopper tom

Any of you fellas [and girls] got any pics of raked hard T's?
Like the early 60's styles.
I have always wanted to build one and so i am finally doing it .I just chaneld the front 4'' and none in the back and i want the frame in a hard rake too .with pot [or suicide] steering.
Any advice or help would be great .
I want this look ,a friend on another forum posted this pic and i fell in love with it amediatly![not for sure bu i think it was donsrods?]
I would love to see more pics of this car too!
t20I20want20to20build20002.jpg

Yep Tom, that was me. I've loved that car ever since I saw it in that magazine back in 1959. I have tried to find more pictures of it but haven't had any luck. Sure is wicked looking though. :ciao::)

Don

donsrods said:
Yep Tom, that was me. I've loved that car ever since I saw it in that magazine back in 1959. I have tried to find more pictures of it but haven't had any luck. Sure is wicked looking though. :ciao::)

Don
i was thinking that you was going to build one like it too ?have you started yet?

I was going to use a flathead and the rest of the running gear I scored from a '46 Ford, but my Son Dan bought a new Brookville 30-31 rpu body and he gave me his old one, so that sort of changed the direction of the build a little. Free bodies are hard to pass up. :ciao:

Here is the body he gave me and what I plan to do with it, except using all the '46 running gear. This will be a true lowbuck modified.:lol:

Don

wow! thats cool of him . but will you please rake the cab like the one in the pic ,i love that picture !seems like no one ever builds em like that anymore.
I thought that you was going to rake it anyways ,and i see that the one in the pic has pot steering too ,are you going that rout.
I wonder how well the rear spring works at that angle too ,but it sure looks'' bad!''

As I remember it, the front wheels on that car are the ones they used on the miget dirt cars. Something like 12" rims. The back ones are the Halibrand 16"ers that were popular on dragsters at that time. Talk about a rubber rake!!!

Ron

That's what became Mickey Himsl's Moonshiner from the Bay Area. Originally built by Larry Selmer.
From the cover of Car Craft, June, 1960, with 12" front wheels
(below Tweedy Pie's rear wheel)
1891_1.jpg

And later with spoked front wheels and gold/purple paint: Rod & Custom, June 1963
a1f3_1.jpg

Tom: That Rod and Custom shown there has a cut-away drawing of The Moonshiner "T" inside. If someone can scan it to you ,you would almost have plans for it. I'm awful on putting up pics.

Wow, that panel painting, tall windshield, and spoked mags sure ruined a cool car IMO. I know that was the fad back then, but the original version sure looked more old timey. You guys are right about the 12 inch wheels, I do remember reading that somewhere.

Don

Look at Tweetie Pie on the Car Craft cover. My thought at the time was That's a perfect T rod. A couple of years later, the car took a chrome bath and was in every show for Detroit to San Diego. Norm Grabowski's T was another one that went the way of the show circuit. All of these cars were big draws at shows and promoters would pay good tow money just to have them there.

Ron

i believe that i like the black and white pic better ,but it is one wild little ride .
I'll bet don is loveing these pics ,he seemed so crazy over it before .
Thanks guys for the input .

Hea guys ,i was just checkin the net for some more pics of the moonshiner t and seen that some one has restoed it to its original configuration [but put holibrans on it ]!but i was unable to save the pic ?
Can some of you try to find an uptodate pic of it for me ?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back