Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rat rods

LarryH

Here's a good article about the Shifters CC explaining how the term "rat rod" originated and what it has evolved (unelvolved?) into.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5305

"JJ: It’s fashionable these days to look down at “Rat Rods.” By your own admission, you guys invented the term. Did the definition of “rat rod” change over the years or did you guys?

Anthony: I think it was a little of both, but yes it definitely changed over the years. The term “rat rod” was just my way of trying to describe our cars to an outsider who had some knowledge of hot rods and motorcycles. Most people back then knew of “rat bikes” and i associated our cars more with them rather than the 1990’s billet Street Rod scene of the time. I always thought of our cars as just unfinished traditional hot rods… which they were. So it wasn’t a name we were really serious about, but it stuck after several magazine articles used the term when featuring our stuff. It was kind of cool at first because it gave the old guys a way of identifying us at car shows and swap meets, but after a while and as the scene grew, everything that wasn’t finished or in primer became a “rat rod” by the media. It was lame and not something we really wanted to be associated with anymore.

Then a few years later came the real junk rods. Rolling piles of crap that are purposely built to look like shit - something we’ve never liked or understood. Things like 1950 fenderless trucks with suicide suspensions 50 feet in front of the grill and stock 305 Chevy engines with a two barrel carb and zoomie headers - stuff like that just make us scratch our heads. We think a lot of people just got the wrong idea somewhere and we hope most of these cars will just go away someday. Of course, they probably won’t. I think it’s good that they are looked down upon in some ways because they really don’t belong with the rest of us who are working hard to to build quality traditional cars. Obviously, people have a right to build what ever they want but it’s just gotten out of hand.

A real “rat rod” to us is a raw, unfinished, traditional hot rod with all the right ingredients! Now in today’s world we have magazines (will go unamed) catering to nonsense cars, switchblades, iron crosses, women with tattoo’s on their foreheads, diesel truck big rig wheels & tires, and they think its old school? We just don’t get it. Hate to say it but the word “rat rod” is ruined now and should probably go away."

Now it seems any primered car is a rat rod. A few weeks ago i decided to redo the exhaust on my '56 Chevy more door, and since nothin' sounds much cooler than a stovebolt runnin' dual glass packs, i decided to put a Fenton header on it and dual glass packs with 2" pencil tips. I'm explaining to the muffler guy my plans for the '56, "It's gonna be gray primer with a candy blue top with gold 'flake and blue and white tuck n' roll." "Oh. You're building it rat rod style? I just smiled and explained "No. I'm building it in an early sixties style".

Way back in the day they were just Hot rods.

Yep, the language changes over time. As for me, I'm not going to build a T-bucket or a Rat Rod. I'm going to build a 27 Roadster. When someone asks if it's a T-bucket I'll tell them "No, its a 1927 Ford Model T Roadster Hot Rod". Not a rat-rod, not a T-bucket. I just don't think the term Hot Rod will ever be confusing or out-of-style. Sure, it will be different than the original. It will be my own rendition. It will look good without being outragious. It will sound good but not so loud as to draw law enforcement attention. It won't be black. Most important.......my wife knows she'll look cool riding in it. Guess that's what it's really all about.

My T Bucket is what some would call "a rat rod" at the moment. The chassis,opps frame for our yankee friends,is completed with a 2pack brite black paint,the engine and transmission is finished with pearl over gold basecoat,and the diff has been blasted and powercoated brite black.Add the complete chrome covered front end,only the steering box is painted,and the engine polished aluminium parts,triple 2s with stainless steel stacks,and the bit I like best,8.8 brite yellow heavy duty racing spark plug leads the car is finished. BUT,then the body was placed on and that is where the RAT comes in. The body is satin black with the doors removed,and the early 1980s upholstery has been replaced with second, no maybe third or forth hand plain foam for seating and back support.Hell, I love it and so do have fun driving it hard, but also intend to complete it totally with leather upholstery and doors and the 6 millon question,shiny paint to complete my vission of an early 1960's Hot Rod Bucket.

I guess I can tell the story one more time...

Dad built cars back in the late '50s through the '60s (while he was in high school) out of whatever they could find in the junkyard.

They weren't very pretty but they could outrun anything that wanted to challenge them... most of the time.

Ratty old hot rods and ratty old motorcycles, he'd paint a caricature of a skinny drunk rat dragging a bottle of hooch, XXs in his eyes (and flipping you off) on most of them. I've seen one old picture from the early '60s but it was a tad bit out of focus, still could tell what it was.

The term "ratty rod" or "Rat Trap" was used as far back as dad could remember.

I seriously don't think anyone can claim they actually invented the term.

My hot rod is constantly referred to as a "rat rod" because it doesn't have fancy paint (like all my street rod buddies' rides).

a quote from Hot rod magazine a few months ago hit the nail square IMHO.

"Rat Rods are what Gen Xer's think the 50's and 60's were like, none of us drove around in cars that outlandish, these kids are more concerned with looking like they are into cars then actually being into them. For us building a car was about speed, for them it's tacking as much rusted crap on a car as possible"

Russ

"Rat Rods are what Gen Xer's think the 50's and 60's were like, none of us drove around in cars that outlandish, these kids are more concerned with looking like they are into cars then actually being into them. For us building a car was about speed, for them it's tacking as much rusted crap on a car as possible"

Russ

That syas it very well. Guys are throwing together these things for shock value and to fit into something that they are actually dishonoring. And I don't care what era you're from, no selfrespecting car guy would want to be seen in a rusted out heap. Hell, wanting a nice car is what kept me out of hot rods for so long. I couldn't afford to build a nice one, so I didn't bother building one at all.

Russ

Yep thats it, more of a trash rod than a ratrod. A well eneineered rod should atract more attention than a rusted POS.

My rusty POS attracts a LOT of attention...

544673872_a75e9b7a62_o.jpg

but then again, it is well-engineered.

Agreed T-Odd your car is great, but then again, you didn't use a mailbox for a hood scoop. You look like you spent a lot of time on fitting her together to build a very nice ride. Its not a "....let see what kinda garbage can I bolt to my car?" type of build.

My car doesn't have paint or interior, but I wouldn't classify it as a ratrod either, its just unfinished. I don't know if I'll ever finish her. Shes still pretty much the way my dad left her in his passing.

TJstruck016.jpg

My rusty POS attracts a LOT of attention...

but then again, it is well-engineered.

And just how does fiberglass rust? Ask ole T-odd, he has a secret for rusting fiberglass. :)

Cool roadster. It's what we would have called a beater back in the day. Well engineered, dependable, but a little rough around the edges. Something most of us would have driven in high school. Something Gray Baskerville would have drove.

TJstruck016.jpg

[/quote]

I'ld drive the wheels off that thing.

Agreed T-Odd your car is great, but then again, you didn't use a mailbox for a hood scoop. You look like you spent a lot of time on fitting her together to build a very nice ride. Its not a "....let see what kinda garbage can I bolt to my car?" type of build.

My car doesn't have paint or interior, but I wouldn't classify it as a ratrod either, its just unfinished. I don't know if I'll ever finish her. Shes still pretty much the way my dad left her in his passing.

TJstruck016.jpg
And I think your buckets proportions are kool,so is the wheel choice...I wouldnt mind cruising in that myself... :thumb:

Cool roadster. It's what we would have called a beater back in the day. Well engineered, dependable, but a little rough around the edges. Something most of us would have driven in high school. Something Gray Baskerville would have drove.

Thanks

And I think your buckets proportions are kool,so is the wheel choice...I wouldnt mind cruising in that myself... :thumb:

Thanks

I can remember when it was hard to get an unfinished car into most Hot Rod magazines unless it was part of a tech article,Same for car shows !I can remember seeing beautiful Rod or Customs with the windows covered in foil or something to block the view of unfinished interiors nothing in any show was in primer at least out here in the 60s.Clubs would even restrict how long your car could be in primer!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back