Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Real cheap bodies.

Actually they aren't so bad. The guy making these was making them (and all the other fiberglass parts) for MAS in St. Paul MN before they went under. He figured since he owned the molds and there was still a demand, he'd try selling them himself. We bought 3 of them and some grill shells and beds. Yes, they are not quite the same quality as some of the others, but for a low budget T, they aren't so bad. The guy making these manufactures fiberglass parts like electrical manholes and such. These are chopper gun bodies, but are decently thick and are not warped like others I've seen. There was a thread about them on this site a year or two ago.

Here is a shot of one of them as we were doing a bit of notching. You can see some of the other bodies and beds in the rafters.

PurplePowder35.jpg

Edit: Just so you devout T-Bucketeers know, Neither of these fine gents are me. The guy doing the cutting is my Uncle Dennis who the T is being built for and his "supervisor" in the OSHA-approved footwear is my Pops.

Actually they aren't so bad. The guy making these was making them (and all the other fiberglass parts) for MAS in St. Paul MN before they went under. He figured since he owned the molds and there was still a demand, he'd try selling them himself. We bought 3 of them and some grill shells and beds. Yes, they are not quite the same quality as some of the others, but for a low budget T, they aren't so bad. The guy making these manufactures fiberglass parts like electrical manholes and such. These are chopper gun bodies, but are decently thick and are not warped like others I've seen. There was a thread about them on this site a year or two ago.

Here is a shot of one of them as we were doing a bit of notching. You can see some of the other bodies and beds in the rafters.

PurplePowder35.jpg

Edit: Just so you devout T-Bucketeers know, Neither of these fine gents are me. The guy doing the cutting is my Uncle Dennis who the T is being built for and his "supervisor" in the OSHA-approved footwear is my Pops.
I bought an M.A.S body about 5 years ago and it was warped out of shape by about an inch.The bottom lip would not sit level on the floor.

I've used several of these. The ones being made now are much better than they used to be. You will need to add wood to it but most need that anyway. Not hard to do.

Ron

I bought an M.A.S body about 5 years ago and it was warped out of shape by about an inch.The bottom lip would not sit level on the floor.

I'm not sure how long this guy was making them for MAS. He did say it was only a few years before they went under. He told me that MAS gave him their mold and it was a piece of crap and he didn't use it, so he built a new one. I do know that the interior inserts MAS was selling just before they went under was from the previous maker and they didn't fit these bodies very well. I'm not saying they are top quality like CCR, but the three we bought were not warped like that --they all sit level and they are level at the top of the cowl. We went to his shop at his house and inspected them before purchase.

Here is a shot at the cowl on the frame:
PurplePowder40.jpg

The last three bodies I got wre from MAS. Good enough for me after wooding.

I'm not sure how long this guy was making them for MAS. He did say it was only a few years before they went under. He told me that MAS gave him their mold and it was a piece of crap and he didn't use it, so he built a new one. I do know that the interior inserts MAS was selling just before they went under was from the previous maker and they didn't fit these bodies very well. I'm not saying they are top quality like CCR, but the three we bought were not warped like that --they all sit level and they are level at the top of the cowl. We went to his shop at his house and inspected them before purchase.

Here is a shot at the cowl on the frame:
PurplePowder40.jpg
That looks ok to me except the rear on the drivers side is about 3/4 of an inch lower than the other side. i know the one i had either wasn't stored right after it came out of the mold or it was flat messed up from the start.From what you say it looks like the bad mold is long gone.

wish i lived closer. i bet the shipping would be a pain to get one down here to mississippi. i would not know where to start with that. might just be easy to save up and drive to rpm's or go stay with my kin folks in AR one night and go to sprints.

wish i lived closer. i bet the shipping would be a pain to get one down here to mississippi. i would not know where to start with that. might just be easy to save up and drive to rpm's or go stay with my kin folks in AR one night and go to sprints.
Those would be a better option.imho

That looks ok to me except the rear on the drivers side is about 3/4 of an inch lower than the other side. i know the one i had either wasn't stored right after it came out of the mold or it was flat messed up from the start.From what you say it looks like the bad mold is long gone.

Rick: It may or may not be un-level in the back. In this pic, there is no floor yet and the back of the body is just propped up. Dennis is sitting on a crate I think. I'll check it out next time I'm at the shop.

Rick: It may or may not be un-level in the back. In this pic, there is no floor yet and the back of the body is just propped up. Dennis is sitting on a crate I think. I'll check it out next time I'm at the shop.
That would probably explain it than.

I really like a good chopper part, as when they are done correctly, they are strong and even though they are heaver than hand layed bodies, I find they need no wood at all... One can also get a lot more detail with a chopper gun... IMHO :)

I just bought a brand new t-bucket body from Trader's Village in Grand Prairie, Tx for $250.00. It was made in Mexico. I thought it looked pretty good (but not perfect). Just because it doesn't cost alot, doesn't mean it has to look bad.

I just bought a brand new t-bucket body from Trader's Village in Grand Prairie, Tx for $250.00. It was made in Mexico. I thought it looked pretty good (but not perfect). Just because it doesn't cost alot, doesn't mean it has to look bad.
Damn hen will the outsoursing stop?

I am about halfway through one of these builds, any idea what windshield will fit it?

This is where it gets difficult. When you don't buy your body from a quality manufacturer then you have no idea what posts are going to work. You need to buy the posts from the same people that built the body so they are designed to work together. If you source them from different companies good luck with them matching up.

Most bodies will accept a stock width windshield. if for some reason you need an odd width both Speedway and Wintec will make custom frames.

It's not uncommon to find gaps in even the best of bodies. In that case assemble your lower frame to the posts, line the inside of the posts with aluminum foil, spread some body filler on the foil and set the frame/posts in place. After it cures, remove the posts and foil and blend the filler into the cowl.

Ron

For my weird body I had on my bucket I had no sides to my windshield posts. I actually had two studs running down through the top of body with nuts and washers behind dash. I bought a set of regular posts they weren't even close. Also added support rods.Maybe Ron has pics.

At $250.00, who cares if it's not perfect. Inspect it before you buy it. I thought it looked ok. If you get it home and find something wrong with it, resell it on Craig's list or Ebay for $251.00.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back