Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear axle height?

Terry

Theoretically, assuming a 31 inch dia. rear tire, the axle centerline would be at 15.5 inches from the ground. However, could some provide some real numbers.

I want to build a cradle to hold my Vette rearend while I design the frame, and I'd like it to be at the real ride height.

thats what i would do...

you could acount for the tire sqautting from the weight, but no need really..

i'm usually doing solid axles though,not jag or vette rears

Brucer is right, that is all there is to it. I still like to have the actual final tires and wheels on hand during the build though for lots of reasons, this being just one of them.

Don

For setting up a Corvette rear, I convert it temporarily to a solid axle with a pair of dummy half shafts. When the installation is complete, you want the half shafts to set level in the vertical plane with the normal load on it and the shafts to be colinear in the horizontal plane. The dummy shafts establish that relationship. Of course, this is with the spring disconnected. If you are using the original spring, the ride height can be achieved with the bolts that connect the spring to the hub carriers.

DSCN1701.jpg

"you want the half shafts to set level in the vertical plane with the normal load on it and the shafts to be colinear in the horizontal plane..."

:eek: Oh my brain! That hurt! :eek: :welcome:

Geoge's suggestion is a good one. When I set up a solid axle with coil overs, I make a pair of struts in place of the shocks. It makes the whole process much easier. I will do the same with the Jag rear I'm working on now. You could do the same with the 'vette rear. Just leave the connecting bolts off at the ends of the spring.

Ron

Photoman,

Sorry about that.:eek: I couldn't think of any other way to describe it. Colinear is a command used in CAD for making two or more line segments to be on a common axis or line.

No problem George. I was having high school geometry flashbacks... :eek: I was always good to go in physics but geometry was a killer. :D

I went an found a box that a washing machine came in. Cut it open and drew out the whole rear end of the car in full size demensions. It was a lot easier to erase a line on that box than waste expensive steel.

or do like I do. Draw it in Cadd.

Just go with 1/2 the tire diameter. Thats close enough. This ain't rocket science.

blownt said:
Just go with 1/2 the tire diameter. Thats close enough. This ain't rocket science.

You're correct. Habit I guess.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back