Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear bounce and body wobble

Tyus

Just bought a 23' T and finally got it registered and insured and took it out for a ride in our beautiful 30 degree weather. Anyway, the rear has wicked bounce and it seems to be between 35-40 mph and when slowing down to stop. I released some air in the tires and it helped a little. Just don't know how much more i can take out. The rear setup is ladder bars and a watts link with coil springs on top of the axle and shocks. I was looking to replace the shocks to see if that helps. Any suggestions on what to get and what size? The shocks right now are 16" on center at ride height. Don't know how much travel they need. Also, the body has a serious wobble while driving. I don't know if this is caused by the front setup. I don't really know too much about caster/camber and toe in,-toe out. I would like to replace the front shocks too to see if this helps. Any help would be appreciated and if you need pics of anything let me know. Thanks

How much pressure do you have in the rear tires and what size are they? A for the body wobble how thick is the body? Dose it have a bed on the back and if so dose it have a floor in it? Swapping out the shocks might help. If you do, don't get heavy duty replacements. Might check the tires for balance too. In cold weather they need to be as close to perfect as you can get them.

Oh by the way welcome to the site. Gotta warn ya tho ... these guys are picture whores ... just a heads up there.

Ron

Just bought a 23' T and finally got it registered and insured and took it out for a ride in our beautiful 30 degree weather. Anyway, the rear has wicked bounce and it seems to be between 35-40 mph and when slowing down to stop. I released some air in the tires and it helped a little. Just don't know how much more i can take out. The rear setup is ladder bars and a watts link with coil springs on top of the axle and shocks. I was looking to replace the shocks to see if that helps. Any suggestions on what to get and what size? The shocks right now are 16" on center at ride height. Don't know how much travel they need. Also, the body has a serious wobble while driving. I don't know if this is caused by the front setup. I don't really know too much about caster/camber and toe in,-toe out. I would like to replace the front shocks too to see if this helps. Any help would be appreciated and if you need pics of anything let me know. Thanks
i threw a lot of money at my car trying to fix that turned out it was my rear tires out of balance they are 18.50 x31s and bias so when it is cold they bounce untill you get tham warmed up

How much pressure do you have in the rear tires and what size are they? A for the body wobble how thick is the body? Dose it have a bed on the back and if so dose it have a floor in it? Swapping out the shocks might help. If you do, don't get heavy duty replacements. Might check the tires for balance too. In cold weather they need to be as close to perfect as you can get them.

Oh by the way welcome to the site. Gotta warn ya tho ... these guys are picture whores ... just a heads up there.

Ron

Thanks for the info...I forgot to add that its a fiberglass body...Went and checked , and no where on the tires does it say the size. They are Pos-A-Traction Torque Twister II's and say max load 2090 lbs @ 32 psi. I figured they would say size somewhere. Maybe I'll try getting them rebalanced.

I have pics but just don't have a host site for them.

i threw a lot of money at my car trying to fix that turned out it was my rear tires out of balance they are 18.50 x31s and bias so when it is cold they bounce untill you get tham warmed up

Thanks for the info.

A lot of quick replies on this site, i like it.

here is a pic of what i'm working with
0217011645.jpg

I believe the rear tires are bias ply mixing those with radial fronts are not the best setup.I would jack the rear up put on stands and spin them up see if the shake is in the tires.Welcome nice looking bucket.
Where are you located at.

I believe the rear tires are bias ply mixing those with radial fronts are not the best setup.I would jack the rear up put on stands and spin them up see if the shake is in the tires.Welcome nice looking bucket.
Where are you located at.

Ok, I'll have to give it a try. I'm located in Massachusetts.

Be carefull spinning those big tires while on jack stands. If the rear axle is hanging, jacked on the frame, it only takes about half speed to detect imbalance, ie 55 mph shake would show up at about 30 mph. If you jack up on the axle, it will take more to shake the wheels and risker, in my opinion. I would consider doing it outside with room to drive if it fell off the jack stands. I would not bother balancing, until runout has been corrected. Out of round can usually be felt right after take-off and prior to coming to a stop.

good luck,

Be carefull spinning those big tires while on jack stands. If the rear axle is hanging, jacked on the frame, it only takes about half speed to detect imbalance, ie 55 mph shake would show up at about 30 mph. If you jack up on the axle, it will take more to shake the wheels and risker, in my opinion. I would consider doing it outside with room to drive if it fell off the jack stands. I would not bother balancing, until runout has been corrected. Out of round can usually be felt right after take-off and prior to coming to a stop.

good luck,

The bounce is the worst when i'm slowing down and at about 35 mph...after 40 mph it stops....the body wobble seems like it happens randomly

You need to use the process of elimination on this. If you jack the car up, you can spin the tires slowly to check for out of round. I think 1/8th inch is the border line on this. Maybe someone with more info can confirm. If you have a warped wheel or a bunch of run out, you need to address this before proceeding. If you have disc brakes a warped rotor can cause shake while braking and at speed. Usually rotors will feed back through the brake pedal and sometimes the steering wheel on the front ones. I think you will easily find and correct your problems with the rear tires. If the wallowing of the car at speed persist, you may have to address some front end issues. Something you can quickly do, is to check if the axles are square with each other. Measure from center to center on each tire or between the 2 tires may be close enough to see if it needs delving into. Let us know what you find. I know this may be a problem for you, but helping solve problems seem to be a lot of the glue that keeps us active.

good luck,
railroad

It just seems like the suspension is very stiff. I can push all my weight on the back and also the front and they both barely move down. I don't know if this is normal or has anything to do it with. Thanks again

It just seems like the suspension is very stiff. I can push all my weight on the back and also the front and they both barely move down. I don't know if this is normal or has anything to do it with. Thanks again
That front radius rod just doesn't look right. I might be wrong though. Lar

I don't think a stiff suspension will create a shake. It may magnify it. If you have balance problem a stiff suspension will surely let you know.

My Toploino has a solid rear end. I know Im running low pressure in the rear slicks but it bounces like a trampoline on slowing down and stopping. Just though it might be a help.
Also as said front R Rods look like they are upside down. If you have very little suspension movement, disconnect the shocks/springs and see what its like then.If it binds up there is a problem with the pivots/geometry of the set up somewhere. With no spring and shocks attached it should all move with no effort at all
Gerry

My Toploino has a solid rear end. I know Im running low pressure in the rear slicks but it bounces like a trampoline on slowing down and stopping. Just though it might be a help.
Also as said front R Rods look like they are upside down. If you have very little suspension movement, disconnect the shocks/springs and see what its like then.If it binds up there is a problem with the pivots/geometry of the set up somewhere. With no spring and shocks attached it should all move with no effort at all
Gerry

Thanks for the info... here is a pic of the front setup
0302011339.jpg

Wow your ackerman is way out, but I dont think that would account for your problems. I can see from the shinny bits on your shocks that you have less than 1'' of travel on your front end. Shackles look OK but you need some opinions on your front spring from the guys here that know them better than me. I would say it look a little heavy for a T.
C'mon guys you know these things better than I do. (opposed coils are my bag)

Also are you having trouble with bump steer? Your drag link is twice the length of you front R Rods?
Gerry

PS Why a rag over the spring mount? Are you worried about it?

Looks like you are getting about 1/2 inch of travel in the front suspension from the shiney on the shocks. Have we jumped from fixing the hula to the stiff suspension? If I wanted to soften the front end, I would take a leaf out of the front spring and go from there. You could take the shocks off before working on the spring. I lowered the rear tire pressure on my T and noticed a shake at about 50+. I am talking about 15 to 20 psi. It could have been pushing a wrinkle ahead of the contact patch. Anyway I went back to 28psi.

He must be covering his front license plate??

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back