Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear of Total Performance body

tfeverfred

A question for those that have a TP body. Before I call them and ask, does anyone know why the lower rear portion of the TP body is NOT attached to the floor board? Does it just hang loose like it appears to in the pics?

0603kc_shop_15_z.jpg

23T_floor.jpg

tfeverfred said:
A question for those that have a TP body. Before I call them and ask, does anyone know why the lower rear portion of the TP body is NOT attached to the floor board? Does it just hang loose like it appears to in the pics?

0603kc_shop_15_z.jpg

23T_floor.jpg

Ok Fred the Total bodies are made with i think 4 pieces and glassed together.Now look at the bottom pic in the right hand side you'll see Two different colors thats the seam.Now to your question Brian told me that if you glass in it would crack.Hmm don't sound right to me.But i flipped mine over and glassed it in and it didn't crack YET .I'll take my chances.I'll call you later and explain more.

Fred and Rick,

My spirit body has been glassed completely all around the floor. I have a pretty over all solid body.

thomas:)

I'll try to post a picture later on today. I'm going to try and get a hold of Rick today, so he can show me. Are you going to be home today Rick?

thomas said:
Fred and Rick,

My spirit body has been glassed completely all around the floor. I have a pretty over all solid body.

thomas:)

I'll try to post a picture later on today. I'm going to try and get a hold of Rick today, so he can show me. Are you going to be home today Rick?

I'll be in and out of the Garage after 12 noon.Gotta wait for the heat wave first.Come on over

Thanks, Rick. A while back, I think I remember a NTBA member attaching plastic to the gap to keep water out!? I'm not sure how it would crack and I've never seen another pic of a body with the floor not sealed all the way around.

You can call if you like. I'll be in and out bar-b-queing, searching the net and watching football.:lol:

I'll PM you my number in case you don't have it.

I'd be interested in hearing the '' why for's '' on that one.

Youngster said:
I'd be interested in hearing the '' why for's '' on that one.

Well, I had heard the "will crack because of stress" on the Total website too. It kinda makes sence, but I wondered why no one else seems to do it.:confused: But then, the rear back of a Total body is different from all others I have seen, due to their Watts linkage setup. The idea that their body is made in pieces makes a lot of sence as far as stress goes.

I assume they've been doing them like this for over 35 years, must be something to it or maybe it's an old way that they just never corrected. I will call them tomorrow and I'm sure Brian will make me feel stupid with the explanation.:eek:

im about to cut my floor for the battery box and the e brake clearance i was going to glass in the rear lower on my body but now im unsure any advice ????

both of these cuts will be close to where the
rear wall meets the floor
i think glassing it will make it stronger
am i wrong ??

I just got off the phone with Brian at Total and he will be posting more info on the "BODY FLAP ISSUE"today.He also said he will be at the Bucket Bash this year good i finally get to meet that youngster.

OK, let's try this again... I just typed it, and my computer crashed on me... figures....

The reasoning for the back panel to be left open is for suspension movement under more extreme conditions. If a "harder-than-usual" bump in the road happens, the suspension would be compressed greater than normal useage would require. In some cases, this could cause the watts linkage to hit the back of the body. If that panel is left "loose", it will simply move out of the way sort of speak. If it is solid to the floor, it will most certainly crack. This would also be the case if, say, you set your suspension up for yourself either alone or with, say, someone under 200 lbs but then you take your 350 lb. buddy for a ride. It would certainly take less of a bump to compress the suspension more at that point.. Please guys, no fat *ss jokes needed here.. LOL

No fat jokes Brian and thanks for clearing things up.

So then I guess you wouldn't be out of line putting a
"NO FAT CHICKS" sticker on the dash:dance:
WAKA WAKA WAKA, sorry couldn't resist:eek:

My wife is a plus size and if you can get in sit down shut up and hang on.:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back