Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

rear shocks

butch27

I'm not getting full shock travel on the rear
My shock mounting distance is 11-1/2 " what length shock should I be running. to have 60% on downward travel an 40%s on rebound.?? Thanks

OK . . . is that 11-1/2 " the distance when the car is at ride height? At 'curb weight'? o_O And what is the total travel for your shocks, from fully compressed to fully extended?

We go thru this often on the Clubman sports cars we build. The suspension travel is limited to the stroke on the shock, (same as on your street car)but the springs will limit the travel within this distance. The longer shocks we use are 14"-9.5" or 15"-10" open and closed. You should set up for 2/3 bump,1/3 droop for the working distance of the shock of your choice.
Regards,
Mike.

I found one for a '49 Plymouth that is 17.85 ext. and 11.25 closed. . Oh I'm running buggy spring rear.

I used the QA1 TS505 single adjustable shock on the rear. It was extremely nice to have
the adjustability. They are expensive thou at $188 each, they were only $146 in 2015.

Compressed Height -
TD505: 9.25"
TS505: 9.25"
TR505: 9.25"
TN505: 9"

Extended Height -
TD505: 13.5"
TS505: 13.5"
TR505: 13.5"
TN505: 13.38"

505 Aluminum Stocker Star Shock
QA1-TS505-Rear-Shock.jpg

Mine mount at 11-1/2" at ride height. am I going to have to change my mounts to a closer distance to allow for 2/3 bump ???

What kind of ends are you setup for? [This would help others that want to help searching.]

How far will you suspension compress before something becomes are problem?

If your ride height is 11.5 inches and your setup will handle 3 inches in bump, then you
need to find a shock that is 8.5 inches compressed. The extended length needed would be
11.5 + (3*.33) = 12.5"

Armed with the ends that you need, then it's a matter of searching thru the different websites
to see if you can find something that works. If your setup is only tack welded, then changes
maybe easy and you might want to increase the ride height for the shock. Just depends on
what you can find.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back