Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear Tire Size Help

Cole Luke

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello! I just received our family's heirloom ('23 t-bucket) and it needs new rear tires. The tires on it are McCreary 31/13/15. I haven't been able to locate a tire of this size. The closest I've come to is the Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r 9000000227 which is 31/16/15. The look is sweet, but how will I know if it's too wide? I got a sizing template off of Summit's website, but not sure it's going to help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello! I just received our family's heirloom ('23 t-bucket) and it needs new rear tires. The tires on it are McCreary 31/13/15. I haven't been able to locate a tire of this size. The closest I've come to is the Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r 9000000227 which is 31/16/15. The look is sweet, but how will I know if it's too wide? I got a sizing template off of Summit's website, but not sure it's going to help. Any suggestions? Thanks!
The tire should have rim width requirements posted in their specs.

I'd say first thing you need to know is the width of your wheel. The tire company should give suggested wheel width. I'm using the M/T 29 X 15 SR15 on a 10" wheel. Max is a 12 I think? I chose the 10 because I like more of a sidewall bulge.

If you measure the rim width, then buy a tire that is + or (-) one inch for the tread width (not the
overall width or sidewall) you will be very close to the manufactures recommendation.

Tire width for a wheel/rim size chart
  • Charts
    arrow.png
  • Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

Rim width and tire width are two closely related sizes. Flexible tire sidewalls alow a single tire size to be mounted on a rim of various widths. There is a rim width range for every tire size, but on the other side, there is a tire width range for every single rim size.

When replacing a rim or tire with a wider one you could put a question in two different ways:

What rim widths fit to my tire? (e.g.195/65 R15)
The answer is: "Rim widths corresponding to tire 195/65 R15 are: 5.5", 6.0", 6.5" and 7.0" ". The information related to all other tire dimensions can be found in Wheel/Rim Size Calculator.

If you want to mount a wider or narrower tire on an existing rim you could ask a question in another way:

What tire widths fit to my wheel/rim?
When replacing OEM tire with a wider aftermarket tire, width of the rim should be taken into account because each rim width corresponds to only a few tire widths.

For example, appropriate tire widths for 6.0" rim are: 175 mm, 185 mm, 195 mm and 205 mm. The minimum tire width 175 mm designates the safe tire width, 185mm and 195 mm are ideal tire widths and 205 mm is the maximum tire width. The maximum tire width is not ideal because the tire tread is wider than the inside rim bead. Equivalency table presented below may help you to make a rational decision about tire dimension you need for a given wheel/rim dimension.

Tire widths for a wheel/rim size chart - Equivalency table
Tire widths for a wheel/rim size chart shows what tire widths fit displayed wheel/rim sizes - shows tire width range for a given rim width: minimum, ideal and maximum tire widths (e.g. for an 7" wheel/rim, following tire widths can be fitted: 195, 205, 215 or 225).

For more rim dimensions and adequate tire dimensions (not just recommended tire widths) try out our Tire size for rim size/width calculator which tells you what tire sizes to pick - for any rim size.

Rim
width
(inch)
Min.
tire
width
(mm)
Ideal
tire
width
(mm)
Max.
tire
width
(mm)

5,0 155 165 or 175 185
5,5 165 175 or 185 195
6,0 175 185 or 195 205
6,5 185 195 or 205 215
7,0 195 205 or 215 225
7,5 205 215 or 225 235
8,0 215 225 or 235 245
8,5 225 235 or 245 255
9,0 235 245 or 255 265
9,5 245 255 or 265 275
10,0 255 265 or 275 285
10,5 265 275 or 285 295
11,0 275 285 or 295 305
11,5 285 295 or 305 315
12,0 295 305 or 315 325
12,5 305 315 or 325 335
Mounting wider or narrower tires outside of min/max values presented in this chart is not recommended.

Just for the sake of discussion , I went to summit racing catalog , for a BFG radial 275-60r-15 , they list minimum rim width at 7.5" and maximum rim width at 9.5" , this doesn't agree with the above chart , so check with more than one source ,( preferably someone you trust or can verify ,) before you make a decision......

Reactions: Guy
Just for the sake of discussion , I went to summit racing catalog , for a BFG radial 275-60r-15 , they list minimum rim width at 7.5" and maximum rim width at 9.5" , this doesn't agree with the above chart , so check with more than one source ,( preferably someone you trust or can verify ,) before you make a decision......

Everyone has an opinion but I prefer to use what has been proven to be SAFE and Reliable and no ONE source will always be right.

Who can be trusted or verified any more than a tire company or wheel company that deals with these every day? I hope not a HOT RODDER who SAYS it will be OK.

Disclaimer:
The results should be verified with the tyre manufacturer. This is for informative purposes only.

Just got through reading BFG tire/ rim spec , a 275-60r15 is measured on an 8" rim , the suggested rim widths are 7.5 -9.5" , the chart you posted comes from Europe so there may ay be a problem there ,I'm not trying to start a fight , just trying to assure accurate info .
The reason the chart caught my eye was for the 275-60-15 , I've been running that size on 8.5" rims for 20 years and I remember looking at the chart at the tire shop and picking out the tires for the rims I have .
Dave

Like I said, everyone has an opinion and go with what is safe. It makes no difference what the manufactures say foreign or Domestic but you know you can't put a 15 inch wide tire on a 6 inch rim and be safe or visa versa. So Original poster can figure it out as to what HE wants. He has enough information to do so.

If you don't trust the manufacturers info ,( who are held accountable for info they provide) who do you get your information from ??

And who said anything about a 15" tire on a 6" rim ??

Dave

15 x 10" wheels, 11" tread width radials (305-50 x 15). . .

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    878 KB · Views: 20
woulda--coulda--shoulda. Let the man do as he wishes and if you or I don't like it, well I will sure not be close to him for my safety's sake.

I would think that before it got to the dangerous stage that someone would raise the red flag. I don't think there is many of us that mount our own tires so I would have to think or hope the tire sales person or the one doing the tire mounting would tell the customer the combination of wheel vs. tire width will not work or may not be safe as the example from Dave. 6" wheel with a 15" tire!
Hope is the key word!!!

Lots of feedback, thanks guys. I'm not able to get accurate measurements on my wheel without taking the tire off. Compound that with the fact that I then would need to find a tire to fit the wheel and then take both back to the tire shop for mounting. Everything I see right now points to the fact that the tire on the current wheel is too large according to charts I've seen and there just aren't many options to replace in kind. I'm either decreasing tire size or increasing wheel size to fit within the tolerances recommended in charts (like T-Test posted). Not an ideal situation...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back