Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear tire size

When I spec'd my rear end, I asked for 3.25 gears. I remember Jerry at CCR questioning me about this and I told him I was going to be running 31" tires and was building a car for cruising and not stop light to stop light racing. He ran the calculations and came up with the same gear ratio and tire size. So far, I have been happy with the setup.

Is $170.00 each for 285/70/15s to much?

You no doubt got that price from Coker. Their prices are very high and their shipping fees are through the roof. The 285/70x15 is a discontinued size and is difficult to find but not impossible. Go to as many tire places in your area as you can and check with them. I say this because I had a similar problem when I was looking for 165/80x15. Coker was out of sight and all the tire companies and even the tire manufacturers that are on line said they could not help. I did, however, find what I needed through a local dealer who took the time to search and found what I needed in Georgia. His shipping cost to Florida was a fraction of what Coker had quoted.

Jim

I looked that coker. Shipping to much.
But I found a local place to me.
http://www.performanceplustire.com

They have the 285. Its not listed on there site that I can see. I called them and asked.
It would be $170 +tax.
I still think thats to much.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just go with a 265/75 R15 Not as wide as 285. But just a tall. 30.7". Easy to get and cheaper.

265/75 15 not going to happen :bubble:

So its a Toss up.

31-10.50 R15 ??
Or
275-60 R15 ??

Hummm
Maybe flip a coin.

Hello out there, I am the "OLD NEW GUY". I have been working on this for the past few months, it was one of those that shouted out, yah, runs great. Looks are very deceiving, & not just with cars. Anyway, I have moved past the death wobble after shocks & other adjustments passed on from other enthusiast. After setting the caster back and forth, is there any rod ends that can adjust the hairpins without pulling the 5/8" bolt in the rod end & turning to adjust and remounting. That does not seem to be adjuster friendly?

The first problem is that you hafta buy 32" tires to get the loaded radius you calculated for.
The second problem is that 3.25 gears are only right for 275/60R15s if you're running a 700R-4 with a mild 350, or a built 200-4R with a mild 396-406.

Hello out there, I am the "OLD NEW GUY". I have been working on this for the past few months, it was one of those that shouted out, yah, runs great. Looks are very deceiving, & not just with cars. Anyway, I have moved past the death wobble after shocks & other adjustments passed on from other enthusiast. After setting the caster back and forth, is there any rod ends that can adjust the hairpins without pulling the 5/8" bolt in the rod end & turning to adjust and remounting. That does not seem to be adjuster friendly?
No, there's not an easily adjustable rod end. It wouldbe too easy forsomeone to overextend that threaded connection and cause a failure. Adjusting caster is something you do so seldom, that it isn't a priority to make it easy.

After setting the caster back and forth, is there any rod ends that can adjust the hairpins without pulling the 5/8" bolt in the rod end & turning to adjust and remounting. That does not seem to be adjuster friendly?
Do you have a rod end at both ends ??? If so, one of them needs to be a left hand thread. Once
you have a left hand and a right hand threaded rod ends, then you just have to loosen the jam
nuts and turn the tube. Re-tighten jam nuts when it's the right length. No more removing the
bolts.

Just pay a front end alignment shop to do it and it will never have to be changed or you can do it yourself with a few tools and inclination gauges Not that hard but aggravating as a woman that is always asking WHY. .

I have a t bucket ,I would like different tire and rims.total performance body and frame. Would like to put new tires and rims on it.would like small an narrow on front and wide tires and rims on back ..what you do you recommend. .?????

There's no question that the 'rolling stock' on a T-bucket is a large part of the look you want to achieve. In my case, I wanted a '60's vibe and not too extreme on either end. I chose 15" wheels for the rear and 14" for the front to get the 'big-n-little' effect. I also wanted increased stopping/handling ability with a somewhat larger tire up front, so I came up with:

Front: 14" x 6" wheels with 185/60R-14 tires
Rear: 15" x 10" wheels with 305/50R-15 tires

E1.jpg D1.jpg

Thanks for all the good info, I finally lined it up, put 2 new tires on the front, took care of most of the vibrations, then decided to have a truck shop down the block balance the rear tires & that did it, runs down the highway like a normal car at 70-75 mph. That was all I wanted.

To each their own....as long as your happy with how it makes your rod look....
Me, I like the super skinnys up front, and the steam rollers out back....

Well Hi again. Where you been?
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back