Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Reborn project

nobux

I built my t-bucket in 2003. The deal was I bought the engagement ring, the (future)wife bought me a MAS t-bucket body. She came out ahead on that one. She then told me the car needed to be done for the wedding which was 8 months away. Well, I blundered ahead and built this in time for the wedding:

tbucket.jpg

It was fun, it was crude, and it had some serious issues. I didn't even know what I didn't know when it came to building a t-bucket. But at least I got it licensed. A couple years later, I blew it apart and turned it into this:

oct32006013.jpg

It was fun, not quite so crude, and had some minor issues. I built the frame too short (90" wheelbase), trying to go for a early 50's look. By the time I finished working out the problems, it looked nothing like an early 50's car. Plus, I needed the flathead for my 46 Ford COE. And now, a SBC wouldn't quite fit where the flathead was. And I decided I wanted to channel the body. So, I took it apart, and stuck it in the shed. Which is where it sat for 5 years. 3 kids, a new job working nights, a wife going back to school, all contributed to the project stalling out.

Last week, I pulled the pieces out and surveyed what I had. I built a new frame, loosely based on Youngster's plans. I just want to put together a simple cruiser. Nothing fancy, no super cool ideas that turn out to be super problems when they're welded together.

In order to finally get the car on the road this time, it needed to be done as cheap as possible. Which meant using as many parts as possible from the first version (V1.0) and the second incarnation (V2.0).

2012-10-22_09-06-35_304.jpg

For the rear suspension, I used the S-10 rear and coilovers from V2.0, with a set of RPM's ladder bars. The wood panhard bar will be swapped out for one of the metal variety. The rims and tires are 15x8 Cragar SS's with Hurst cheater slicks from V2.0. The gas tank is a mock up of the Model T oval tank that no one has in stock right now. The tail light is a Model A with a STOP lense. Turn signals will find their way under the rear frame rails.

2012-10-22_09-06-06_363.jpg

The motor and tranny are both Chevy 350s from V1.0. I love the old ram horn manifolds, so the exhaust will run under the car. I plan on doing a heat shield for the master cylinder. The radiator is a Mustang unit that I got off of Ebay and stuck inside the Model A shell. The Corvair box is one that I reversed years ago for V1.0.
The front wheels and tires are 15x4 Cragar SS's with some old tires for rolling. I'll be going with some taller ones.

2012-10-22_09-32-55_811.jpg

The front end is a Magnum I-beam and '36 wishbones from V2.0. I used Dodge truck shock mounts to mount a pair of P&J shocks. I have a little more work on the headlight mounting brackets, but the general idea is there.

So there I am right now. The car will be torn apart soon for finish welding and winter storage. Winter plans are limited because of the unheated garage. My plan is also to replace the body. The old MAS body is full of holes and bad fiberglassing on my part. The body has always been screwy. The cowl sags about 3/4" in the middle, and it is uneven across the back. I think I'm gonna go with a new body from the latest cheap bodies thread, http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/real-cheap-bodies.12624/. They're about an hour and a half drive away, and $275 is in my price range.

Thanks,
Karl

I saw that thread. I bought the axle in 2007 and it was a leftover from someone's project back then. So I think I'm OK. V1.0 was a neat looking car until you started looking close. I do love turtledecks, but the hardest part was packaging everything under the sloping deck. V1.0 had a 120" WB, so I has a little more room.

I tore out the rear coilovers and panhard bar and went with a model T rear spring with Plymouth tube shocks. I replaced the MAS body with a Bear's body and got the floor glassed in. The front will get friction shocks and Offy headlight mounts. The disc brakes will get swapped out for the finned Buick drums I have. The Model A shell got replaced with a Model T one. All in all, I think the look is a lot cleaner. The goal is to be on the road by next summer.

Very nicely done.

Jim

Thanks guys! The car I built in my head and the car in the shop are finally starting to look alike:). I've been working on a shifter design similar to a old B&M Series 60 shifter. I'm shooting for a mid 60's look and I think it's getting there.

Baddawgcustoms is right. The Hot Rod Company has them in a variety of different positions (upright or flat), with or w/o senders, and different sizes. Since I just wanted a standard tank, I just ordered mine from Snyder's Antique Auto . Cheapest, too. I got the two right hand tank brackets from Mac's.

Not much new. I made up a steering column last week, using a Speedway quick release hub, a length of 3/4" cold rolled shaft, a couple of bearings from a local supply house, and some 1 1/4" EMT tubing from Menards.

I just came in from the garage. I pulled the body, setting it on a rolling dolly. After I jacked up the chassis and dug out my cherry picker and engine stand, it was time to head inside to warm up so I could get some feeling in my hands again. It was 10 degrees out in the garage! Some day I'll get heat out there, but until then I'll just be tough and dumb,

After lunch I'll bundle up again and pull the motor and tranny. I'll work on sanding and painting the small pieces in my basement workshop over winter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back