Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Reborn project

Hahaha..you might be "tough and dumb", but you sure know how to proportion out a T bucket and you're using all the right bits!
Can't wait to see it all done...but don't be shy with the build pics.
Thats a bad ass bucket!

Can't wait to see it all done...but don't be shy with the build pics.
Thats a bad ass bucket!

I'll post some more pics. I didn't know if anyone would want to see more. It's just a simple, no frills car.

I went out to the garage and got the motor and trans pulled. Old Reliable is on the stand.

I got this '79 350 back in the mid-90's for $100. It's been in at least 5 cars, always being a good runner to throw into a car while a new motor was being built. I have some rebuilt camelback heads to throw on it. I need to polish the valve covers, throw on the aluminum pan I have, and repaint it Chevy orange.

Here is a shot of the rear suspension. Pretty simple set-up. S-10 2wd axle w/3.42 gears and aluminum drums off of a 3rd gen Camaro. Speedway medium arch reverse eye spring. A pair of Monroe 5752 shocks for a 48 Plymouth mounted to the shackles via a plate I made. While building the frame, I sleeved the front and rear 10" of the frame with 1/4" plate. That way, I could bolt brackets directly to the 1 -1/2" x 3" frame. The ladder bars and spring mounts are from Ron Pope, the axle brackets I carved out of 3/8" plate.

The front suspension is just as basic. 4" drop Magnum axle with reverse eye spring mounted to a pair of '37 Ford wishbones. As mentioned earlier, the disc brakes are coming off in favor of a pair of 45 fin Buick drums mounted to F2 12" backing plates. I need to order a pair of Wilson Welding hubs. I've hated the look of those discs ever since I swapped the F 100 drums for them.

Here is a pic of my Ebay motor mounts and my hockey puck cushions. Steering box is a Corvair that I reversed mounted to one of Ron's mounts.

The body is resting on it's rolling dolly. I need to bend a hoop out of 3/4" square tubing and bolt it to the firewall, giving my homemade steering column and Odyssey 680 battery something to mount to. Before I glassed in the firewall, I ran some 1/2" carriage boltsthrough from the front to give this hoop something to bolt to.

That mid to late 40's Ford C.O.E. looks to be an interesting future project. From what I can see in the picture it looks pretty solid.

Jim

Jim, The cabover is a '46. My grandpa bought it in 1948 and we used it on the farm until the mid 80s. One of my earliest memories is riding beside him on a little homemade seat, listening to the flathead scream through twin glass packs at 45 mph. It's my next project.

Great stuff Nobux!
There are lots of people interested in the stuff you're doing...don't sell yourself short.
Simple, no frills cars are the HARDEST to do correctly and you're doing it in spades!
The pictures are excellent too.
Thanks!

IMG_20150101_130620_367_zps2c69fbcd.jpg

It seems in this picture you have a lot of camber in that wheel. Top of tire leaning out. Maybe the spindle is upside down? JMO

The spindles are on right. I think it's an illusion with the axle on jackstands in that picture.

The doorbell rang early Sunday morning. After I scared off a lady and her kid trying to sell me something with my Daylight Savings induced, pre-coffee appearance, I noticed a healthy size box on my front step. Closer examination proved it to be my Wilson Welding hubs that I ordered way back when. Apparently, Fed-Ex had dropped them off sometime Saturday. I had just about given up on them and had already dug out a pair of F1 brakes out of the storage shed to clean up.
Today I picked out my best 2 finned drums and removed the hubs. The temps are supposed to stay in the 50's the whole week, so it's time to get back on the bucket.

Looking good!

Thanks guys! I jumped the gun a little on the reassembly, but the parts take up a lot less space together, than scattered throughout my garage.
I need to add some slant cut header extensions and get them sandblasted and painted white. I also need to paint the gas tank white, so I can get it bolted down and start plumbing fuel lines.

I got the body on the frame. It looked like it sat lower in the back, than the front, but the tape measure said it was an optical illusion. I put a 2" block in the rear to see how it changed things. I think it will work, and the spacer will be behind the license plate. However, now my rear shocks are too short! I either to remake the bolt-on upper shock mount or find shocks 2-3" longer than the Monroe 5752's ('48 Plymouth front shocks) that are on there now. Two steps forward, etc.....

Looking pretty darn good to me. Less $s to move the mounts. Mine are hidden, so I made an adapter.
Lee

You know, you never gave us a true, level, picture of the car with the body on. With the present suspension it still might need to come up a little. Can't tell. No really defining photos. A GOOD photo is worth a thousand words.
Know what I mean, Vern ?

John

Ha! You're right! Every picture is at an angle. I must live in a crooked world. I'll push it out and get a dead-on side shot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back