Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Removing rear transverse spring

Mdrat

What would be the correct removal procedure in removing rear transverse spring? I am wanting to soften up ride a bit. Plan is to take out 2 or 3 leafs, one at a time and test ride. Don't really think a floor jack and BFH is the way to go. Thanks.

Some people make a spreader bar with 5/8” all thread inside a 1”tube with a small angled 1/4” strap on each end to go in the area of the spring eye. Turn the nut until you get slack in shackle and remove them screw nut in to get it out of spring. Remove leaves and reverse procedure to install.

Some say even be cautious when removing the center bolt. Clamp the leafs together, remove the center bolt and replace it with a length of thread-all, remove clamps and slowly unscrew the thread-all till the leafs are a part.

Good to hear, did you need or use a spreader bar? Use the thread-all trick on the center bolt? How does it ride now?

Made spreader bar 1 inch square tube and 5/8 all thread. Couldn't get all thread in center hole because of clearance issues. I used a couple of c- clamps. Four leafs now. Rides noticeably smoother. Issue now is only about 3/4 inch of upward shock travel. Looking at shocks now. In retrospect, I should have addressed shock issue first as this probably would have given me the same results. I might put removed spring back in. Another day in the shop.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back