Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Replacing a Reversed Corvair steering box

EWTALLEY

I purchased my T Bucket about a month ago and found that there is a lot of play in the steering. I have looked at the adjusting screw on the side and found that it is at the point of almost going into the case (no more adjustment left). I have decided to replace it with a new one. I have the original build instructions and can see how to take it apart, but would like to know of any pitfalls that I need to watch out for. I was under the car today and there is not much room to get things in or out, the one concern is disconnecting the steering shaft, collar and the box in such a tight area. Thanks for the help.
Earle

Some photos may help. Are you wanting to replace the complete box, or just some of the internals?
Lee

Sounds like someone tried to "improve" things by adjusting all the lash out, which wears things out, which means more adjustment, etc. Keep new box full of grease and don't overtighten and should be ok for years. Remember end cap too tight = worn out bearings, lash adjustment too tight = worn out worm and sector. I think lash adjustment should have .020" play (will have to look up), but new box should be adjusted or shimmed correctly.

The new box should last as long as this one, as per the build instructions ( Total Preformance Inc ) the car was built in the early 1990's- 92-93. When I can I will post some pictures of the process of removal and installation, if anyone wnts to see them.
Earle

Corvbox2_zps69a0470d.jpg

Corvbox3_zps12a4f312.jpg

Here is the correct way to adjust the Corvair steering box. We have rebuilt hundreds of these boxes and this is how we adjust them. When you get done and it is adjusted correctly, you can't turn it by hand. When the ads on Ebay and it says the turn smooth with no tight spots, That means they are worn out. There should be a tight spot in the middle, of the travel!

Thanks Ron, that's perfect for my growing collection of reference material. Sheesh, the box I bought from you is still sitting out in the garage. I've really got to make time to get this done instead of driving the car. :D

Completed the steering box installation yesterday, no major problems. There was a small difference in the size of the boxes, the new one was a bit larger, thus the working area got a little smaller. All in all I hope this is the last time I have to mess with the steering box, but I did learn how this thing was put together. Now on to the next items - tie rod ends.
Earle

Yes ,I know and I read it and it helped me as well. All done, as far as my level of expertise, I went back to the times as a 13-15 year old when I would have to repair my brothers cars after they wrecked them, this was about 55+ years ago, so things about the T-Buckets are not to different then they were back then.
Some of you might like to know about my other hobby, it's Christmas lights, you can see them here:
http://vimeo.com/user2854453/videos

Earle

Corvbox2_zps69a0470d.jpg

Corvbox3_zps12a4f312.jpg

Here is the correct way to adjust the Corvair steering box. We have rebuilt hundreds of these boxes and this is how we adjust them. When you get done and it is adjusted correctly, you can't turn it by hand. When the ads on Ebay and it says the turn smooth with no tight spots, That means they are worn out. There should be a tight spot in the middle, of the travel!

Ron- While I admire your enthusiasm, I find it difficult to believe you have "rebuilt" hundreds of these steering boxes, since there are No new parts to rebuild them with.
Most of these units are over 50 years old ( 1963- 1969) and While there may be a few NOS parts out there (Other than gaskets and seals)1456611_10202555137789849_1071062406_n.jpg , the lion's share of them are long gone and have been for years. I think what you mean to say is you've cleaned them up and reversed them for T-bucket use. Yes, you can adjust them, but,it is in fact the adjusting of them too TIGHT that wears them out, not the other way around. I would venture to say that each steering box needs to be adjusted on it's intended car, but then again, that just my opinion.
Thank you for posting the information you posted, as there isn't a whole lot out there. Good luck in your T bucket business, Mikey

NO MIKEY we rebuild the boxes just as posted. We know where to get the parts and some we make here in our shop. We also know how to adjust them on the bench correctly, so the end user does not have to.

I have heard of guys that call them rebuilt and don't even clean out the old grease. Ever heard of that? Maybe our own Keeper can add to that as can the guys on the HAMB.

Get a load of this. @Mikey is back. :rolleyes:

And his first post since 24 December 2008 amounts to digging up a 6 week-old post, so he can dig at another member. Imagine that.

So, tell me, Mikey, what brings you back around? Have all the other sites you frequent finally got tired of your antics and run you off? Well, laddie, I've news for you. I'm already tired of your school-girl games, so don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to get away with your same old nonsense around here.

Here's how this is going to work, Mikey. You are going to read the Forum Rules Page. You are going to familiarize yourself with those rules. And then, you are going to remain within those rules, whilst on this site. If you fail at any one of those three requirements, then I will cheerfully and vocally remove you. The matter is not open for discussion, so keep your whining and bleating to yourself. Either you understand what I am saying, or you are in the wrong place and need to leave. And so there will be no questions in your mind, even if you do understand what I am saying, I still think you are in the wrong place and need to leave.

@EX JUNK , @409T and @Keeper, if you see Mikey even thinking about stepping out of line again, then go right ahead and deal with him without wasting a second thought. I will support your decisions and actions, 100%.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back