Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restoring A T bucket that sat 10 + years

Find yourself a dirt road, go about 10-15 mph and step on the brakes hard enough to lock them up. You will be able to see which ones are working or not. Did you measure the front axle to rear axle distance on both sides?

I really have my doubts about the steering box causing it to pull. There has to be something on the brake side that is not pulling, not getting enough fluid pressure. I think if I had that problem, maybe I would cap off the pull side completely and take it for a little ride and see if the other side would work at all then. At least you would have something to work towards then. Wish I were close to work with you on this.

Reactions: Guy
It wonders and you have to keep after it ,
Find yourself a dirt road, go about 10-15 mph and step on the brakes hard enough to lock them up. You will be able to see which ones are working or not. Did you measure the front axle to rear axle distance on both sides?
yes I did and this has been done twice I did find the front axle off a little and I adjusted that thinking it must have changed when I tightened everything down. , I don't like the play in the steering so I did order a new box. I think this box was used when installed . Although I am getting disgusted with it I will keep after it , I will say one thing it dose stop better , one thing I did do is bleed the right wheel again nothing comes out but fluid.

Could it be the type of break shoes ? when i removed the from left hub had crap all over the rear shoe
i did some reading and now not sure what shoes to to use on the front ?

Could it be the type of break shoes ? when i removed the from left hub had crap all over the rear shoe
i did some reading and now not sure what shoes to to use on the front ?

Since these cars are so light, I would go for a softer compound for the shoes.

Were your new shoes crapped up,or the old ones crapped up?
Did you have the drums re cut? If not, that might be the problem. If there is a ridge on the drums the new shoes might be hitting on there before they hit where they are supposed to. You said you had them blasted. Re cut, also? You're running out of parts to replace!

Were your new shoes crapped up,or the old ones crapped up?
Did you have the drums re cut? If not, that might be the problem. If there is a ridge on the drums the new shoes might be hitting on there before they hit where they are supposed to. You said you had them blasted. Re cut, also? You're running out of parts to replace!
I took them be recut and the man said the same thing I did no ridges look to be new , I removed the king pin on the left side and put in a .005 shim now this side is very tight , ordered drag link ends , and a steering box
Going to remove the right side tomorrow see if I see anything out of wack
Car only has 1500 on it
As for the breaks every part is new

I didn’t know that they make those type of shoes for drum brakes. I have to think if everything is new, it must be air in the lines. What the heck else could it be?
By the time you’re done buying new parts you could have built a new bucket!

I didn’t know that they make those type of shoes for drum brakes. I have to think if everything is new, it must be air in the lines. What the heck else could it be?
By the time you’re done buying new parts you could have built a new bucket!
I have some other things i am working on but going to bleed that one wheel every day at least 5 times till i am back on the road should be the end of this week LOL
not sure if it was you told to raise one side maybe the high side ?

If the steering box isn’t centered, it can make it do strange things. It would do it wether the brakes were applied or not, but applying them may magnify the issue. Make sure it’s centered and adjust the worm gear via the adjustment bolt and see if that takes care of the play and any wandering.

I have some other things i am working on but going to bleed that one wheel every day at least 5 times till i am back on the road should be the end of this week LOL
not sure if it was you told to raise one side maybe the high side ?

Just to recap a couple possibilities . . . the long and short shoe, are they in the same positions, (front shoe/rear shoe) on both the left and right, and the wheel cylinder on the right, it's not in backwards where the bleed is on the bottom and the line comes in up top . . . .

Just to recap a couple possibilities . . . the long and short shoe, are they in the same positions, (front shoe/rear shoe) on both the left and right, and the wheel cylinder on the right, it's not in backwards where the bleed is on the bottom and the line comes in up top . . . .
I have been told to change the large shoe to the front , and yes they are both the same , bleeder is at the top both ,

I checked the old box had 2 3/4 turns each way , but had a little more than an inch play and that is after adjusting the adjustment on the side of the box , today I was busy with a friend we raised a car port 18x20
30" to fit his new camper ( not fun )

Where did you measure the 1” of play?
More then 1 " in the steering wheel , I did put the shoes back on the way i was told to large on the rear of the drum and i did some more bleeding on that right wheel and i have a good hard peddle , going down the road it seemed like i was always chasing the steering to keep it going between the lines , waiting for a few parts to come in but its been raining every day so no rush . I hope everyone else getting to enjoy there ride

More then 1 " in the steering wheel , I did put the shoes back on the way i was told to large on the rear of the drum and i did some more bleeding on that right wheel and i have a good hard peddle , going down the road it seemed like i was always chasing the steering to keep it going between the lines , waiting for a few parts to come in but its been raining every day so no rush . I hope everyone else getting to enjoy there ride

If your toe in is incorrect and the road is rutty it will make it hunt and seek the easiest path.Most Bucket have them toed in. Size of tires will also make a difference.

Have you turned or replace the drums?

I dunno!!

Bruce not all Buckets need toe-in condition. Some of them like toe-out of the 4 straight axle buckets I have built all of them worked best with toe-out of about 1/16 or less...….the hunting will go away if you have the angle on the kingpins (about 7 Degrees) and Toe-out......IMHO.....

Each bucket seems to have its own thong that it likes. You have to keep adjusting until you find that sweet spot.
Guy, 1” of play at the perimeter of the steering wheel is not a lot at all.
You have to separate wandering from pulling. Wandering is when you have to keep adjusting the wheel to keep the car straight. Pulling is when you step on the brake pedal and the car wants to turn the corner. Just sayin’.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back