Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rip VWs 27 T Coupe

A little progress on the steering side. I finally got the steering column mocked into position and cut the firewall to fit. I am not 100% sold on the position of the column as to me it seems to be a bit to tall but then again it is all how it fits I guess. I could lower it maybe an inch but then anymore and I compromise ideal linkage setup for the steering shafts. So anyway Next on the list is mounting the steering box permanent like and making up the steering linkage. This next step is gonna take a week or two as I need to order some more 1/4 inch steel plate and build the steer box frame mount. Once that is done I can finish the steering. All fun and games ha ha. Here are a couple a shots of the new column, enjoy!

TSteer1.JPG

TSteer2.JPG

TSteer3.JPG

TSteer4.JPG

I been working on locating the steering box and getting that part of the equation figured out. I got my 1/4" steel plate for the Steering box mount as the original Vega box mount was not shaped properly to support the box. So after a lot of give and take I found a place where the box location seems to work. The box now clears the oil filter adaptor and the steering Ujoint clears the motor mount and it looks like the linkage will line up. After the initial location was set I had to remove the engine "Again" so I can get to the frame to complete the setup. I fiddled a bit more and got the location finally set.
I had to modify the mounting slightly as the upper bolt for the Vega box lands in the middle of the boxed frame section. 1 solution is to drill all the way to the outside of the frame adding a crush tube and having the head of the bolt on the outside of the frame which is smooth. I don't want no stinking bolts sticking out the side of the frame I think it looks ugly being the only bold exposed on the outside of the frame. I decided to do this differently. I placed the bolt through the steel plate and welded the head solid on the back of the mounting plate. I then marked and cut a 1" hole where that bolt was located on the inside of the frame rail. Now when the plate is welded to the frame the bolt head will fit in the 1' hole in the frame and allow the plate to set flush. When the plate is final welded the bolt will look like a stud sticking out of the frame that the top mount of the steer box hangs from. I will plug weld the plate to the frame so I have the strength of the 3/16ths frame side plug welded to the 1/4" mounting plate. I think the strength and safety factors are properly addressed and I don't have any holes or bolts in the outside of the frame rail... win win. Now the crossover drag link may Cause some some minor problems with clearance between the 4 bars and the crossover drag link. I might have to get a little medieval on the steering arms but that is a minor problem...

So just a little more progress, I just hope that there is at least a little smoothness to the project for a little while now as I still have to make the steering column linkage and work out any bugs that might be hiding unbeknownst to me..

So just a couple of pix of the box mounting details...
steerbox1.JPG

steerbox2.JPG

steerbox3.JPG
There will be angled braces to the frame from the lower portion of the mounting plate to keep the bottom of the plate solid.

steerbox4.JPG

So till next time folks carry on!!!

Are you going to trace the bottom of the steering box on the plate and cut it to match?

I am going to do some trimming but need to leave some meat there as there will be 3 wedge shape braces on the back of the plate to brace it up. The other Vega box mount was curved to match but it didn't have a lot of area for the rear braces to attach. The bolts in the bottom of the box makes it difficult to brace. The bottom of this plate really needs good bracing on the back side. However things always seem to change on the project so only time will tell!:cool:

A tiny bit of progress on the T today. I finally got out to the shop today and set up my band saw. I then cut the 3 wedge shaped pieces of 3/16 steel to weld to the steering box support. It was a bit slow going as my blade is getting dull. I got them cut out and checked for fit and things look good so far. Next will be drill several holes through the plate so I can do some plug welding to weld the plate to the frame rails. That should hold the plate securely to lower part of the frame rail and with the wedges, brace the bottom 3 inches of the steering box support plate. It's a tiny bit of progress but maybe the push I needed to get from motorcycle mode back to the T project.

Any progress is a good thing.

Just a bit more progress on the T Coupe. I finally got the steering shaft bushing all engineered into the equation. I made a bracket to hang the steering shaft support bearing on and things look good to this point. I did realize I may have to cut a new steering connection shaft just about 3/8th of an inch longer as I did not have the spline on the steering box Ujoint fully seated so that the input spline was flush with the insi8de end of the Ujoint. It is recessed about 3/8 of and inch and I want it flush. I am just glad I bought too much DD Shafting as I can cut another one 3/8 longer. I sometimes get anal on details and not having that shaft fully inserted makes me nervous and in that spline situation too much is better than Not Enough! So after setting all this up I took the steering box off and unclamped the mounting plate that connects the steer box and did a little cosmetic work on the plate. I also drilled some holes so when I weld the plate to the frame I will plug weld it several places along with perimeter welding.
So I have moved forward and am able to jump to the next fire drill after replacing the plate and welding it all solid.

steer1.JPG

steer2.JPG

steer3.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back