Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Roll on paint for steering box and gas tank

Since, Iam keeping with a geeko green and black paint theme, l would like to paint my corvair steering box and gas tank with a gloss black. Both are gonna be cover, so I won't have to be worry about uv protection. Any suggestions or luck with roll on paints. Yes, I will have to sand down my gas tank, because it's has some surface rust and my steering box has a cheapo primer.

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob

Forgive my inquisitiveness, but why roll-on paint? Why not just shoot them with some Rustoleum gloss black?

Reactions: RPM
Since, Iam keeping with a geeko green and black paint theme, l would like to paint my corvair steering box and gas tank with a gloss black. Both are gonna be cover, so I won't have to be worry about uv protection. Any suggestions or luck with roll on paints. Yes, I will have to sand down my gas tank, because it's has some surface rust and my steering box has a cheapo primer.

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob
By 'roll on' do you mean something like Plasti dip? (which can be brushed and sprayed). I'm with Spanky, just get a spray can or 2 from your favorite auto parts store or WalMart.

16 years ago , after wire brushing the rear end assy. it was very clear I wasn't going to get all the rust off , so I cleaned it w/thinner & applied a coat of POR15 , then while still tacky , sprayed a light coat of rust oleum spray bomb enamel , next day gave it 3 more coats , after 45K miles it's got a few chips that I've touched up , but overall it's held up real well , no rust at all , color is a bit faded , but not bad ...

Easier to spray non flat parts, but you can roll on rustolium and it will flow out nice and flat, keep it cool and out of the sun untill it flows out, you should use rust converting primer on any rusted parts under paint, imho, but I recently tried some "chassis black" on my dump truck frame that doesn't require it. A little pricey, but if it saves the time and effort of undercoat, well worth it.

If you thin it out you could shoot it in a spray gun. The main job is to keep rust off. If you roll I would have a brush handy to touch up hard to reach stuff. If you use an oil paint you can have a bucket of warm water and a sponge to hide the brush/roll strokes. Works real well.

Last edited:
If you thin it out you could shoot it in a spray gun. The main job is to keep rust off. If you roll I would have a brush handy to touch up hard to reach stuff. If you use an oil paint you can have a bucket of warm water and a sponge to hide the brush/roll strokes. Works real well.
Sponge and warm water? Never heard that one. Sounds like something to try. I once painted a boat with the old style epoxy and it looked perfect. I cleaned my gun, etc, looked at it and it fish eyed all over, horrible. I panicked and called the paint store, they told me to run cold water over it, no pressure, just a steady mist. I thought he was messing with me, but out of desperation I tried it. It worked like a charm. Sorry for the story, the sponge and warm water trick jogged my memory, lol.

Sponge and warm water? Never heard that one. Sounds like something to try. I once painted a boat with the old style epoxy and it looked perfect. I cleaned my gun, etc, looked at it and it fish eyed all over, horrible. I panicked and called the paint store, they told me to run cold water over it, no pressure, just a steady mist. I thought he was messing with me, but out of desperation I tried it. It worked like a charm. Sorry for the story, the sponge and warm water trick jogged my memory, lol.
I watched a lot of boat videos on YouTube. Those guys are the masters of fiberglass and vinyl interiors

Man, I'd get some Rustolem primer and finish color in rattle cans and be done with it. The thing is, no matter what you use, prep is the key and follow the instructions for the paint.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back