Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

S10 backing plate

Gary49

I have looked everywhere on this forum and all over the web and I'm stumped. I bought a rearend from the local salvage yard. The guy said it was from an S10 Blazer. I bought a new cover from Summit using this info; 1992 S10 Blazer 7.5", and it fits. My problem is, I have been trying to buy new brake shoe backing plates and they all have 2 mounting holes. The ones on my rear have 4. Mine also are larger in diameter with an extra lip. the shoe mounting diameter is the same. I don't know what year it is, all I know is it has bolt on wheel cylinders. There is a stamping on the right side axle tube and the best I can make out is WFC C 295 1.
I sure would appreciate any help.
Gary

new one
new%20plate_zpsekbtegpk.jpg

From what I've determined after searching all day is that they are discontinued. Just my luck. Oh well, I guess I'll clean and paint the old ones.

Yeah, the new ones came yesterday. I was really disappointed since I was waiting to put them on with all new brake hardware, then the new differential cover. I can't understand why they sell these as replacements when they really are not. Oh well, I'm getting an education in hot rodding at least.

Why not drill the new ones?

Just blast them and paint/ powder coat and will be better than new-- and will fit!!!

I have them cleaned up and ready to go. Should have done it in the first place but wanted shiny new ones. Another lesson learned.

I believe your new backing plates are actually for the 91 and earlier S10's that used a clip on wheel cylinder.
This setup also had a thick bracket welded to the housing for additional support around the cylinder...thus the thinner backing plate.
Your originals will be the better setup. ;)

I believe your new backing plates are actually for the 91 and earlier S10's that used a clip on wheel cylinder.
This setup also had a thick bracket welded to the housing for additional support around the cylinder...thus the thinner backing plate.
Your originals will be the better setup. ;)

You're 100% right. The originals are much heavier. Now that you pointed out the clip on wheel cylinders, you jogged my memory. I can't even remember what car it was but I remember changing them. Funny how things come back. That was many years ago.

You're 100% right. The originals are much heavier. Now that you pointed out the clip on wheel cylinders, you jogged my memory. I can't even remember what car it was but I remember changing them. Funny how things come back. That was many years ago.

When CRS sets in, take a break,have a beer or big shot of moonshine and it'll come back to ya. Nothing beats OEM parts, if in good shape, IMHO. After market goodies for play toys only, not daily drivers.

Yes...some cars did have them.
I've never worked on anything with them other than S10 Blazers myself. (winter beaters) ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back