Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Scratch Built Wishbones

the tubing would be stronger than a solid piece of bar stock especially with holes or slots in them. if you want holes or slots in the tubing, sleeve them with some 12 or 14 guage tubing. just drilling large holes will weaken the tubes.

the I beam is an interesting idea. i think the twin I beam ford pickups have something along those lines dosen't it?

Ron

yea the ford twin i-beam front end, they would be bulky for a street rod...

i had a lil ranger that had the twin i beam front end on it, i got a lowering kit for it, and the i-beams were fabbed out of bent up flat stock..

i was refering to the control rods hat go from the axles to the frame.

Ron

Brucer,

The solid bar idea would be a lot of work like you say, but the ibeam look would be interesting. I think I saw a ratrod with some kind of early tractor tapered ibeam radius rods before at a show. He had drilled a bunch of holes down the middle of the center web. It was actually cool looking. It's an interesting idea, but I'm going for the traditional wishbone look, and like Ron says above, the tubing is much lighter and mucho strong enough.

I also like your idea of a slot. I've seen a traditional wishbone slotted up front so the steering arm can pass right through the middle of the wishbone arm. With my design having the heavier center web running down the middle of the bar, you could do something like that without sacrificing much strength. Maybe I should think about doing some kind of slot like you mention... Hmmm. I'll just leave it as an option. I still have no idea yet where my components will be running.

One of the things I'm preparing for with these front bones is how I'm going to support the front of the car. I've seen cars where the spring perches are attached to the sides of the wishbone to support the front. Because I'm going to try and run an early Hemi, I need to be careful/concerned about the extra weight. For the look I'm after, I would like to see a traditional ibeam out front, then the radiator tucked low just behind it. Rather than using a traditional suicide spring up front, I might try using some kind of hollow torsion bar set-up with some cool looking drilled arms that link-up somehow to the wishbones just behind the radiator. I need to think more about this idea. I'm not sure yet if I can make it look good.

The torsion bar idea comes from being able to easily adjust spring rate, and ride height. I've built and used torsion bars on other cars before (sadly not any rods, but race cars). Ride height as you know is adjusted at the back with a small arm, and spring rate is easily adjusted by changing the O.D. of the bar. In the past, I would make and heat treat a bar that I know is a little too stiff. I install it, and if I need something a little softer, I just turn down the O.D. in very small increments until I get the desired spring rate. You can also change the spring rate by adjusting the length of the arm, or the length of the bar. By making the bars hollow, they don't weigh a ton.

Anywho, just thinking out loud. I bet for all the time it takes to design and build a car from scratch, 3/4's of that time is spent just thinking about it.

Thanks for the ideas! Take care,

David

(I bet for all the time it takes to design and build a car from scratch, 3/4's of that time is spent just thinking about it.) I would have to agree with you but that is what makes the details and makes the car your's. P.S. This is a great idea David I have been checking every post thanks for all the detail and pictures.

your bones will support the added weight of the hemi david. i did one with stock parts years ago that had a bbc chevy in it and a driver with a very heavy foot. this car probably gets 10,000 miles a year on it. the only changes since it was built is the chroming.

the torsion bar idea has always intregued me. are you thinking of running the across the frame, like inside a xmember or inside the side rails?

Ron

Youngster said:
the torsion bar idea has always intregued me. are you thinking of running the across the frame, like inside a xmember or inside the side rails?

Ron

I'm looking at both ideas Ron. I want my torsion bar arms to not only connect between the end of the bar to the sides of the wishbones, but maybe also double as cantilever shock arms as well. Not friction shocks, but regular shocks like you see on some T's. I also want it all tucked neatly behind the radiator grill somehow.

I'm going for "less is more" out in front of the radiator. Just an ibeam axle and a lonely tie rod. ;) Of course, the ibeam will be drilled. Because I can do that! :)

David

gottcha david. look for a picture of the T coupe that Boob, opps sorry, boyd did on the show. very clean frontend treatment, everything hidden. might give you some ideas.

Ron

Youngster said:
gottcha david. look for a picture of the T coupe that Boob, opps sorry, boyd did on the show. very clean frontend treatment, everything hidden. might give you some ideas.

Ron

Ron,

Is this show available online or on DVD? I don't actually get much television here. Only a couple of broadcast channels on a good day. I'm of a member of a small group of people in the world that will never pay for television until they get rid of all the damn commercials. :neutral: And we all know that will never happen! :cool: Besides, I get more done without a boob tube in my life. ;)

David

i don't think so. let me look around here. i have the mag with the artical somewhere, hahaha!!!!

Ron

thanks putz!!! yep, that's the one. another thing to look at is the way he finished off the bottom of the radiater shell. nice touch ... who ever did it....opps...sorry...not one of boyd's biggest fans....could you tell?

Ron

Boyd's Beater, eh? Sort of like that (Ron, I don't like Boyd's Beater either, say that fast ten times! :eek:). Here is an example of something else. This is that 29' pickup Pinkee's built called "Loaded" that I keep referencing:
29fordpu2.jpg

I'm not a fan of those bug-eyed headlights, and I think the top of the radiator shell is not quite shaped right, but I like the axle out front like that. The leaf spring and shocks are all tucked behind the radiator.

David

Brucer said:
isnt that a model a type frontend/crossmember with horns chopped off?

The article says it's a 31 Chevy frame. I'm not sure if they came with frame horns up front.

David

I agree he built some nice cars but if I was his empolyee and he treated Me the way he treated them on the show it would take this job and shove it. As a former business owner I say treat people as you expect to be treated!!

the frame was bobbed at the front. the car is a great example of what a coupe could look like.

Ron

thanks rex,

been wanting to see the front suspension on that car.. couldnt ever find who built it. i knew the front end was different cause i couldnt see a spring from any of the pictures i had.. i knew that car was impressive, now i know its even more impressive..

man it sits low.. beautiful car for sure..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back