Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Searching for his dad's T

Lee_in_KC

Posted as a favor to Zack...

Hello. My name is Zack Methvin of Longview, Texas. I desperately need your help with my search for my Dad's scratch built 1923 T-bucket roadster that he built in the mid 70's when we lived in Jackson, MS. I have been searching for this car for over 10 years and by all accounts it is somewhere in the DFW area I believe.

In 1979 Dad sold the car to a man who at the time owned North Jackson Honda-Yamaha in Jackson, MS where it remained until approx. 1989. The car then sold again to a another local area Jackson resident until he eventually sold the car to an elderly man in the Dallas, Texas area and that is where the trail goes cold. I have followed up on every lead I have received over the years but have had no luck. If you know of anyone with a car like this please let me know as I would like check into it.

I've researched the last known LP (MS Antique #1196) with the DMV and have had no luck. I do not have the VIN number or any other official documentation on the car. I've also searched old insurance records & car clubs with no success. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who might know anything about this vehicle or offer advice as to how I can track this car without a VIN number. I've attached the only pics of have of the car. With the exception of the body, this car was built 100% from scratch by dad. There is nothing on the car that could be considered a "kit" part.

More than likely this car has been through some minor or even major changes over the years but the interior & the vertical steering column setup are more than likely still as original today. Last time I saw the car in 1986, the wheels & intake had been changed (as shown in the attached images).

Here are some distinguishing characteristics that would identify that this is the car I'm looking for:

1. Hand cut walnut dash with centered gauge cluster (Stewart Warner Gauges)
2. Steering column comes up thru the floor and is almost straight up n down.
3. The steering wheel was a custom made 6" dropped "T" style with 4 brass spokes and wood ring.
4. The interior was a tan color diamond style tufted and pleated.
5. Brass Radiator.
6. Paint color was a 1976 Cadillac "fire-thorn" red.
7. Brass carriage lights on the cowl.
8. 70's style Mustang/Pinto automatic floor shifter.
9. Pin striping on the body sides in the door area and on the tailgate. Also had a big letter "T" on the cowling at the center base of windshield.
10. Originally had a LT1 350 with an Offenhauser cross-ram intake.
11. TH400 Transmission.
12. Side "wind wings" that attached to the sides of the windshield frame.
13. Headlights are from a 1931 Chevy.

If you have knowledge of where this car is or might be, I would be extremely grateful if you would give me a call, text or email. I am hopeful that you could post this ad somewhere in your place of business or even your website. I know it is just a car but it is very important to me that I find it. Just to be clear, I am ONLY searching for this car with hopes of buying it back, nothing else. The car is not stolen or anything like that. My Dad passed away unexpecteltly last year and I would love now more than ever to find & somehow buy the car back.

Thanks,

Zack Methvin

903-736-2036

Longview, Texas

Attachments

• ZackM2.jpg
    ZackM2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ZackM3.jpg
    ZackM3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 50
  • ZackM1.jpg
    ZackM1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
I did get some more info yesterday on Dad's car. I spoke to the 3rd owner and he told me that one 1/28/1991, he sold it to a man in Dallas Texas by the name of John Conner. He says this man today if still alive would be well into his 80's. I have searched with limited info about John and turned up nothing. What amazes me is that none of the previous owners have one shred of paperwork pertaining to this car. I have a insider at the MS DMV. He has searched everything and cannot locate any info on my Dad's ownership nor the other two MS owners registration info. Very odd to me.

I just know this car is still out there. It is too nice of a car to cut up. It has to be sitting in someones garage, driven a few times a years and then tucked away again. It is sometimes hard for me to believe that a VIN number is all that stands between me and knowing where the the car is today.

Got a text last night from a guy who said he and his dad looked at buying this exact same car when it was for sale in Louisiana 1-1/2 years ago. He claims everything exactly matches the pictures with the dropped steering wheel and all. He could not remember the town but he's gonna check with his dad to see if he remembers. If it was for sale then, more than likely once again today, it could be anywhere. Just thought I'd update you all in case there are any Louisiana folks in here.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back