Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shifter Height

jimbo01

I'm starting to plan out some future projects and items I need to buy and need some help with a automatic shifter. I have 2 questions on the Lokar shifters. The first is when figuring the Lokar height of the shifters, is that the shifter's total length or is their total height from the floor? The second question is is their a difference or preference between floor mount or tranny mount and what would those be?

Hi Jimbo
I have a lokar shifter
The listed length is the length of the shifter handle - not including the base
I have only used the tranny mount shifter - they easily bolt to the transmission and stick through the floor
I have no experience with the floor mount shifter
Frank

I went with the lokar floor mount because I felt the trans model put the shifter handle too far forward on my bucket. This way I can put it where I want it so it is ergonomic for me. The floor mount allows you to offset it too to give the driver a bit more knee room which I did move it about an inch to the right, the kit comes with a couple different offset arms.

I ran a 16 inch Lokar in my 23 and am also using the same length one in my new rpu project. That to me seems about right, and if you go too tall, and especially if you use a bigger knob, there is the possibility of the car changing gears on a hard bump. (I had that happen until I adjusted the jam nuts that tighten up the movement). My Son has the taller Lokar in his T bucket and one time it popped out of park and backed into another car. His car has a nasty cam and we figure it shook the shifter enough to dislodge it from park.

Don

Here is the 23 inch one in my Son's bucket.

donstinteriorfinished003.jpg

And this is the 16 inch one in my old 23.

Tjustbackfromupholsteryshop007.jpg

Cool setup Potvin! I have a Lokar in mine, my Tunnel is formed with 10 Ga. aluminum, so I mounted mine toward the pass. side of the trans. tunnel. Cut it supershort..... have a d-ring bolted to the rear side of housing, that way I can clamp my dogs leash to it to keep her in the car....

dont know lokar, but I have had a floor mount mechanical shifter hang up.

My car had a B&M or something floor shift in it and it was huge, took up way to much real estate. I changed it out for a B&M street rod shifter like the lokars and it free'd up a lot of foot room. I think that is the biggest benefit. TP used to have a real short unit for TH 350 transmissions that just poked through the floor similar to potvinguys.

Butch, only pic I have, here's a link to a bigger one: https://picasaweb.google.com/104971...hkey=Gv1sRgCJPH7uftt_f3bQ#5693114368975392418
Feel free to browse my other pics at that site.

It's a lever to a rod that goes thru floor to a bellcrank to a rod to an arm on the tranny shift shaft. Set it up for just 4 positions: D, N, R, P, top to bottom, so I can drop my hand to the lever and go from D to N and back while cruising. Real home brew, and looks ugly behind the scene, but does the job. No problem to get more pics if you're interested.

I used to have a short Lokar (12") and it was okay (never could get the nuetral switch to work right). During my rebuild, a friend gave me a B&M and it was just too damn big. So, I got a TP unit and it's perfect! Easy to install and sits low on the floor and not in the way. It sticks up maybe 4" and that includes the shift knob. The best shifter EVER.
I wonder why Speedway didn't get these or decide to sell them after buying out TP. Maybe if RPM had the plans, he could make some? HINT HINT

I was originally thinking about going with the Hurst Quarter stick. I'd really love to get my hands on their lightning rod shifter that was put in the 83 / 84 Hurst Olds if they didn't cost and arm and a leg. Not only that but they would take up waaaaaay to much room in a T and they are cool and all, just not that cool. The Quarter shifter I felt would be to low and a pain to use. So I started looking at many of the shifters you guys are using and noticed a common trend of seeing Loker's being used. I like the idea of a floor mount because of the mounting location flexibility. So now I'm sitting in the T trying to figure out if I would like the 12 or 16 inch.

I have the 12" Lokar unit that I shortened and moved forward so that it would not be hitting my right leg. I also have Locar's parking brake set up and they both work great in my car.

IMG_0635.jpg

Jim

When I swapped out my racing shifter I chose a longer shifter to give more leg room. Most all street rod shifters mount to the transmission so it is going to be placed in the middle of the car. There is some adjustment fore and aft by a few inches to help. What I did was get in the car and see where my leg was. I am 6' so I have to sit "bow legged" in the car and the short race shifter jammed right into my leg. I ended up using a 16 0r 18" shifter to get the knob up above my leg and because the rod is so thin it still allows a decent amount of room for me.

shifter3.jpg

Butch, only pic I have, here's a link to a bigger one:
Feel free to browse my other pics at that site.

It's a lever to a rod that goes thru floor to a bellcrank to a rod to an arm on the tranny shift shaft. Set it up for just 4 positions: D, N, R, P, top to bottom, so I can drop my hand to the lever and go from D to N and back while cruising. Real home brew, and looks ugly behind the scene, but does the job. No problem to get more pics if you're interested.

Bringing this post back from the dead since I'm a new member and can't message you...

Could you send me some behind the seat photos? Does your setup have a detent for each selection so it doesn't get bumped out of gear or into reverse? It looks cool and I'd much rather do that than have a shifter taking up space on the floor. Thats a sweet roadster you have with the potivin. I'm sure its one of the only ones out there!

Thanks
Gene

I have a Ford pinto floor shifter in mine,it is down low, don’t interfere where my legs are at. Got out of a junk yard for 20 dollars good shape and is tight . before I had a pinto shifter and it was wore out. Junk.

I also recommend a neutral switch .it is easy to reach in and start the motor . I talked to A guy in Kansas City, he told me he stood beside his t and started it , it was in gear and run over his leg . Skinned his leg bad.mine has to be in park before it will start .some has it set up so it has to be in neutral before it will start. A good safety feature.

View attachment 5895

Here's my shifter. Made it from stuff laying around the shop. Keeps the floor clean.
Thats a neat way of gaining space, put the lever in the seat.

I did a lot of messing around to get mine on the steering column. Its the one on the left.

All the stuff at the bottom of the column is the detent, neutral/park switch and lock out button to stop accidental engagement of D or R

shiftergate (11) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

DSCN2230.JPG DSCN2528.JPG DSCN2234.JPG
This is a couple photos of the shift lever on the Left side up next to the sidewall. Way out of the way and left the floor flat except for some cup holders......The others from under the car are the photos of the linkage works great...…..The shifter has been covered with an Alumn cover now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back