Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shocking!

Thomas, tires and wheels can really set you back. I was lucky to find my wires for a cheap price. They were in sad shape, that's why I had them powder coated. I really wasn't expect them to turn out as good as they did. I was going to go with regular mags, but I always liked the look of wires on a bucket and these came along. I got the pair for $300. I had to go for it. I got the rear wheels from Wheel Vintiques and had them done with a custom offset, so the outer edge is even with the outer edge of the front wires. I got them through Discount Tire. The tires are used, but good enough for now. I was thinking about going to a slightly larger size, but the size I have has grown on me and works perfect with the front tires and wheels.

But, you have a while to get the wheels and tires that will go on in the final assembly. I was refering to when you get the kit. It won't take long to put it together and it's a whole lot easier to roll a chassis around.

What kind of wheels and tires are you lookin to get.

Fred, I'm thinking Mickeythompson wheels (15x14 rear and 15x4 front). The tires (31x18.5x15 rear and 24 or 26 dia. front). They are nice. Showed them to my wife and she's starting to get excited to see it all come together.

thomas:D

what style M-T's?

Yeah wheels and tires can really put your wallet back, especialy if you let it.

I havn't found a set i really like for back yet... well accualy i have, but i don't think i'll be able to talk the guy out of them, and the closest thing to them are the wheel vintiques gasser 02. He has a set of original halibrand magnesiums that look just like them in a 16inch really wide, beautiful rims, sitting on the wall in his garage... man i wish i could talk him out of those...

front i've always likesthe 10 spoke E-T gasser wheels, though in my dreams i'de get those in magnesium too... Sad fact is only the gassers ever used magnesium front wheels back in the day and they are rarer today for it.

Forget about the MT's. My wife likes the Coker tires with 3 1/2" wide white walls. Going to go all steel wheels with chrome baby moons. 285/70R15 rear and 185/70R15.:lol:

thomas:)

:lol: You forgot to take away the Rodders Journal with Lightening Bug in it. Didn't you? Yea, she's a beauty alright. I've got that page opened up and laying on my desk. It almost made my color choice for me! I was under her spell, but I've decided to paint mine red instead. For now, anyway.:D

Thomas, styles and trends will come and go, but that old look is timeless. Maybe that's why it's been in my head for so long. I admire the simplicity of it.

It's all I look at Fred. I just can't get over how beatiful that car is. I'm shooting to get her done by this time next year.:lol: Dream'in with the help of my wife I may get it done.

As of right now I will be going with the friction shocks front end on my build. Rick stated on a post that after a short time driving his car, that he had to re-adjust his friction shocks to keep his frontend from hopping. Could it be that he has big meaty tires pushing skinnyfronts? Is anyone else having the same problem with their friction shocks?

Thomas, from what I have read, proper adjustment is CRITICAL. Perhaps you could give Rick a call or have him come by and show you when you're ready. I have mine on and I can see how they could work fine, but I'm sure that once I get some weight on the chassis, they will need to be dialed in. You may even want to give Total a call and see what they have to say.

I will certainly do just that. Rick is pretty good at building T's.

I also went with the VW coilovers. I haven't put them on yet but it's good to see that they work. I got mine completely chromed from Dan's Performance parts for $32.95 each. They are really a nice looking shock.
Fully adjustable coil-over shocks allow you to set your suspension to fit your needs. Chrome Spring over Chrome shock. 16-1/2" eye to eye and fits Link/King-Pin front ends, Swing axle and IRS rear ends of all VW sedans and buggies

JohnG...What's the spring rate on those?

John, those look like they may be the same as mine. So far I have no problem with them. I still check the height every so often and they are doing fine. I have not had them on an "extended road trip, but the little drive I took seemed okay. I had a couple good size friends sit on my seat mock up and bounce a little and they seem like they'll do fine. I figured if they were good enough for a 1,800 lb. sand rail with most of the weight in the rear, they'll be good enough for a bucket. At that price, it was at least worth a try and all seems well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back