Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Should You Use Wire Ferrules ???

Indycars

Obviously I've lead a sheltered life, since I had not encountered a wire ferrules before.
Watching a YouTube video, they were saying you should NEVER tin the wire end before
inserting it into a screw type clamp. It will loosen up over time and cause problems with
the circuit. I had this happen to me, the fuel pump quit working until I found the
problem and re-tightened the connection.
Additional to that, if the resistance goes up
enough it could cause an over-heat condition and melt the plastic or worse.

The solution is to use a Wire Ferrule and crimp it onto the wire, then you stick that into
your clamp connection and tighten.

upload_2020-10-11_16-24-8.png

FP01_RelaySquareWireConnectors_02466.jpg
FP01_RelaySquareWireConnectors_02467.jpg

You will notice that my connections in the two photos above are square so the four sided crimp
works well. But there are other types that are round. If you tightened on the corner you could
have a connection that will loosen over time again. This would be less likely if you have the
6-sided crimp like below.

upload_2020-10-11_15-52-24.png

To Ferrule Or Not To Ferrule?
What Is A Wire Ferrule? - Del City Blog
A Ferrule is a Ferrule is a Ferrule… Right?

Crimp Tool and Ferrule Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TZ5BB...&colid=EAFNC88L0HR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

FP01_CrimpTool&FerruleKit.jpg

Last edited:
Have always tinned the ends of wires, never had a problem with them coming loose afterwards I always tin the end of the wire once crimped into a lug as well, Yeah I know, Belt and Braces. ;-))

I’m not a fan of solder in moving vehicles. You have to be careful not to let the wire down from the joint to vibrate. It can break the wire at the end of the solder and be a bitch to troubleshoot.

Me too.

There's some serious knowledge on here.

Ooops forgot to attach this pdf file.

Should be an easy read, just over one page.

Attachments

• Problem with Tinning Wires.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 14
I have started removing the plastic covers from my terminal connectors, and replacing them with shrink tubing. I think it looks neater, and provides a more stable connection.

20201019_112549.jpg

Last edited:
I have started removing the plastic covers from my terminal connectors, and replacing it with shrink tubing. I think it looks neater, and provides a more stable connection.
You can buy crimp connectors with shrink insulators. My brother in law, may he Rest In Peace, gave me a bunch that he had from working on planes.

Most all of my are shrink connections. They say the shrink tube relieves some stress from the crimp.

Like Spanky, I use shrink tube on all my terminals, but I buy raw brass terminals in bulk and use the shrink tube over them once crimped and soldered.

G'Day Indy,
Sorry haven't had this thread open in a while, I buy UTILUX brass terminals in bulk (100 per box) and I don't get any problems. No idea if they're available over your way. A lot of lamp and switch kits have cheap chinese terminals in them that are loose once pushed on the connection, and the chinese made lamps using festoon globes are woeful!
Regards,

What's the purpose of using Brass when Copper has better conductivity ?

OK, I see where brass has higher strength for the pogo pins your article. But I don't think
@AusBucket is using pogo pins in his cars. Copper corrodes easily, but that's why they
are all tin plated. Not trying to start anything, but I still don't see why he would use brass
connectors. Maybe AusBucket can go into more detail about why.

My thought is that with slip on type terminals heat would possibly build up causing the copper to expand more than brass and become loose and after time become non conductive. That may be the longest sentence I have ever written.
I have had this happen before with slip on terminals. I doubt with screw set terminals it would be and issue.

OK, I see where brass has higher strength for the pogo pins your article. But I don't think
@AusBucket is using pogo pins in his cars. Copper corrodes easily, but that's why they
are all tin plated. Not trying to start anything, but I still don't see why he would use brass
connectors. Maybe AusBucket can go into more detail about why.
Not to instigate anything, but I was reading an article about conductivity and brass is not as conductive as other metals.. stronger, yes. I could see the benefit with screw type terminals for better strength.

Keep in mind that the argument over conductivity differences is moot when you're talking about tiny amounts of it relative to the actual lengths of the current paths.

The difference in total resistance of 10' of wire with a brass terminal versus 10' of the same wire with a copper terminal would maybe make a few microvolts more voltage drop, and that's a function of the current flow level, and that's if you had the high dollar equipment to be able to even measure it.

In situations were corrosion resistance or strength is required, brass gets the call, for malleability, ease of manufacture & very high current, use copper

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back