Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

side pipe heat shields

Northstar T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't think I've ever seen a T with any heat sheild over the side pipes. why not?? I've been looking, and if/when I find a suitable solution my T will have heat shields. I'm looking for a slotted stainless material similar to what you would find on a bike or even your garden variety Vette side pipes. the only catch is price. all I've found so far is way spendy. any sugestions??

Russ

The new speedway catalog has beautiful side pies with heat shields. The book is on my desk so tomorrow I will look and see if you can buy them seperately. Their pery and would for sure help.

t-bucket-shield.jpg

This is the link for this pic My link they are spendy.

Saw this pic when looking for heat shields wonder what 8 of these would look like.
hijacked.gif

japshovelpipes.jpg

This bucket is by a guy that goes by diztroy on here
DSC06811.JPG

He does some really nice work. sorry for 2 replies

I don't think I've ever seen a T with any heat sheild over the side pipes. why not?? I've been looking, and if/when I find a suitable solution my T will have heat shields. I'm looking for a slotted stainless material similar to what you would find on a bike or even your garden variety Vette side pipes. the only catch is price. all I've found so far is way spendy. any sugestions??

Russ
Go to a truck salvage yard for big trucks and get a muffler gaurd cut to size wrap aroud a piece of pipe samme size as your exaust and make some brackets for attaching and you are done, look for dented one they would be no good for trucks they are 4 feet long and about 10 inchs across so plenty for you to use

Go to a truck salvage yard for big trucks and get a muffler gaurd cut to size wrap aroud a piece of pipe samme size as your exaust and make some brackets for attaching and you are done, look for dented one they would be no good for trucks they are 4 feet long and about 10 inchs across so plenty for you to use

Good call, thats what I was gonna suggest to him, big truck stack shields....you'd only need one, you could cut it in half. Or go by your local machine shop and see if they have some stainless tubing, if they have a plasma table with a 4th Axis, instead of the plain little holes, you can have any kinda design you want. Then, slice it in two halves, and you gave your own custom heat shields thats totaly unique.

OR, you can check into Lowes or Home Depot, if they don't have it, your industrial plumbing supply will have pieces of thin stainless drain tubing, then you can take that to the machine shop or fab shop. CNC Plasma or a PacMan, either one.

Vetts used to have side pipes all with chrome vented covers, an accessory item, If I were to use heat guards, it would be the full length... Many people have been burned with open headers plus all the nylon jackets melted holes instantly... :)

Yes Speedway sells them but I already have their turn-outs and they don't sell the shields seperatly.

Well.... I've pretty much hiked round the world seeking the best solution for me on these, and I've ended up right back where I started. as with most things, I've decided to just build my own. The truck stack guards seemed like a really grate idea..... but then I looked at some and realised that the "scale" was just too big. the holes in them are about 1" and spaced far apart, so it just didn't look right. I found some that were intended for Cobras.... too spendy. Vette ones... same story. Patriot does supply them separately, but the're chromed steel and overpriced. etc., etc., etc. I guess I'm just to picky. :) . anyway... I would have rather have slotted (couldn't find any), but I've ordered a piece of perforated 304 stainless with 1/4" holes 3/8" apart, and will make one the right way (like Russ says they should be made!!) . ha ha.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Russ

Heres another option for you, some of the floor heaters hake heat shields on the especially the vertical ones to keep folks from bumping into them. Once you've found a design you like, just a simple matter of fastening a piece of pipe down to a workbench and wraping the shield to the right dia.

Normally, I just use the tubing myself, but I have a plasma table / 3rd axis, so I'm setup for it. On the plain steel covers over the stainless pipes, I either have them powder coated, if alum., aniodized, if ss, polished. I've put peoples names in there, flames, all kinds of stuff....its the sorta thing that really make your car unique....

Well....it said I didn't have permission to edit my own post.....PLASMA MACHINE W/ 4th AXIS.....

I have a half of a sheet of perforated stainless screen that i thought about doing the same thing but i am afraid the additional weight would be an issue unless you pipes are supported at the muffler. Alum might do the trick.

I have a half of a sheet of perforated stainless screen that i thought about doing the same thing but i am afraid the additional weight would be an issue unless you pipes are supported at the muffler. Alum might do the trick.

heat shields on a T
What about a sign that says HOT that you hang on them when you park up
Gerry

I had (and still have) the plain muffler extensions until my very very soon to be ex was getting out and the back of her calf touched it and she got burned. Not bad, but after that, and with the T having a door, you don't expect women to jump over to get in. I still will hold their hand and make sure their bottom doesn't drag and catch the door frame :shrug:

I saved a small kid from a serious burn once. Pulled up to a car show, as I was getting out, he ran up and was about to touch the headers. He was less than a foot away with his hand when I got him away. His mom (TOTAL MILF) thanked me after she saw me stop him. Now I hang around and let people know the nice looking chrome headers are hot if they have kids. I wanna try cooking some hotdogs on the 3-5 and 4-6 part of the headers where they join. Turn some buns upside down on the others. LUNCH!!!!

My T WILL have heat shields over the side pipes. The fabrication of same hasn't been high on my priority list lately, but I did buy a chunk of perforated stainless last week and played with it a bit. obviously it needs more trimming, but you get the idea. a 12" by 36" chunk cost me over 50 bucks, and naturally I've determined it looks best when each cover is cut about 7" wide, but I'll purchase another piece for the other side and figure if it keeps one person from a major burn it's sure worth it to me.

388190324.jpg

Russ

My T WILL have heat shields over the side pipes. The fabrication of same hasn't been high on my priority list lately, but I did buy a chunk of perforated stainless last week and played with it a bit. obviously it needs more trimming, but you get the idea. a 12" by 36" chunk cost me over 50 bucks, and naturally I've determined it looks best when each cover is cut about 7" wide, but I'll purchase another piece for the other side and figure if it keeps one person from a major burn it's sure worth it to me.

388190324.jpg

Russ
Hi Russ, Over all the years I have had a T Bucket, don't recall ever getting burnt in that area of the exhaust system, but up near the engine is where it bites you most and hardest.. I have had many people stand on my muffler to try and get in, which will not work (too close to the body).. :) Your T is making great headway, and sounding really good, well I should say STRONG for a factory engine, but with your help it probably runs better than any stocker.. :)

I'm surprised that Speedway doesn't sell a add on kit for those who have already bought their headers and turn outs.

Well if the heat shields are made from steel are they not going to be freakin hot too? I personally think they are too ugly to consider. I was cleaning my windshield last year and got a little too close and that's all it took to respect the pipes. LOL. I did think about making some surfboard type steps to put above it which would help keep people away. Of course this is going to be style dependent.

Well if the heat shields are made from steel are they not going to be freakin hot too? I personally think they are too ugly to consider. I was cleaning my windshield last year and got a little too close and that's all it took to respect the pipes. LOL. I did think about making some surfboard type steps to put above it which would help keep people away. Of course this is going to be style dependent.

hot? yes. but not scalding hot. same as a motorcycle, Vett or Cobra side pipes, and many other applications. any air space provided will make a very marked improvement in lowering temps to a tolerable level.

Russ

hot? yes. but not scalding hot. same as a motorcycle, Vett or Cobra side pipes, and many other applications. any air space provided will make a very marked improvement in lowering temps to a tolerable level.

Russ

Hey Russ
Not my kinda thing but YOU WANT EM YOU HAVE THEM. Reserve judgment till its finished is what I say
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back