Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Size does matter?

tfeverfred

I was at the auto parts store, spending hard earned green backs, and I spied an 11 1/2" Grant, three spoke steering wheel. I had planned on using the 13", but the 11 1/2" would give me a little more room on the drivers side to slide in when I step in my bucket. Or would it be too small to steer safely?

Any thoughts?

Mine is a 13 1/2 and the only time its hard to steer is at a dead stop and you try to turn real sharp other wise it's like power.And i have no trouble getting this 6 foot skinny body in either.Two inches in other venues would matter LOL but not so much in this case.

I was just thinking. The 11 1/2" would give more room, but it just looked like it would be hard to steer in a car without power. But, you're about my height, so I guess I'll stick with what seems to work.

I TOLD my girl size wouldn't matter, but she just laughed and left!:eek::lol:

We definitely don't need any of that going on around here!

When I last heard from Brian, it sounded as if he had a green light to get the forum all changed over to a better solution. He was communicating with his Webbie to sort out all the details. Things should start looking better on that one, within a few more days.

I ues a Moon deepdish and its around 8in diameter, a bit heavy when parking but otherwise great!!

digger said:
I ues a Moon deepdish and its around 8in diameter, a bit heavy when parking but otherwise great!!

Not meaning to stray off topic, but Digger, your metal work is EXCELLENT!

tfeverfred said:
Not meaning to stray off topic, but Digger, your metal work is EXCELLENT!

I wouldnt say its excellent, its more average, theres nothing complicated about the whole car just simple angles and folds, the hardest bit was the front scuttle area, and there is a reasonable amount of filler to get it straight [ish] Thanks anyway.

Back to the thread.... my wheel gives me more room for my knees and makes it easier to get in and out, if I need to the wheel boss is one of those quick realease ones so I can take it off..

It's been a while since I've seen that type of wheel set up. It reminds me of the '60s-'70s show cars that had the wheel and column straight up, between the drivers knees.

tfeverfred said:
It's been a while since I've seen that type of wheel set up. It reminds me of the '60s-'70s show cars that had the wheel and column straight up, between the drivers knees.

Thats why its like that as thats my favorite era, the car is built along those lines in a late 60's early 70's style.

I have a 11.5" wheel now and I am really not crazy about it. I do not have any trouble turning or anything, but I just do not have much leverage compared to an average size wheel...you know. I feel like I am driving a go cart. I just got a 15" sprint car wheel which feels better to me and seems like I have more control (important). I know what you mean about space though. My 11.5 gives me more space and I am still using it for now, but will switch out once I get a longer colomn and the interior finished. Hope this helps. BTW - thanks for all the great info and pics.

My 13-1/2 is bigger than the 12" Grant I had originally. I just barely get in, but it is way more comfortable to drive. Anybody else who drives says, "It drives so GOOD!":cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back