Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

smoke

rubicon

My T has been sitting for three months. Yesterday I tried to start it, letting it crank over for 10 seconds, wait and do it again. On the third or forth try I notice smoke coming out from under the body by the trans tunnel. Quickly shut power off grabbed the fire Extinguisher and waited. When I was sure my build wasn't going to go up in flames, are started looking for the problem. First thing I noticed is the smoke did not smell like burning wires. It smelled like a candle you just blew out.
I lifted the T today and checked for burnt wires, found none and no blown fuses. I did notice a breather on top of the transmission. Could the smoke have come from there? I started the engine today with no problems.

My T has been sitting for three months. Yesterday I tried to start it, letting it crank over for 10 seconds, wait and do it again. On the third or forth try I notice smoke coming out from under the body by the trans tunnel. Quickly shut power off grabbed the fire Extinguisher and waited. When I was sure my build wasn't going to go up in flames, are started looking for the problem. First thing I noticed is the smoke did not smell like burning wires. It smelled like a candle you just blew out.
I lifted the T today and checked for burnt wires, found none and no blown fuses. I did notice a breather on top of the transmission. Could the smoke have come from there? I started the engine today with no problems.
I wouldn't expect any such smoke or smell from a cold transmission. More like a starter, relay, or connection issue, maybe a ground. Perhaps spider webs, corrosion, or the like?

TH350 , sbc383 stroker. The smoke came right out the trans tunnel. The engine was not running when this happened. I was just cranking the starter. First place I looked was by the starter. Found nothing. The smell is what confused me.

Throttle cable goes through the fire wall above Trans tunnel. Shifter is a metal rod. No cable. Today I checked the neutral safety switch. One of the wires were loose. No burning any where. Still at a lost.

The smoke may have come from the starter. Went to start the T again. Key in the off position, I turned on the batt disconnect switch. As soon as I did the starter motor started spinning. Solenoid was not engaged. I think the switch that gets push in when the solenoid is engaged stayed in the on position. Check solenoid with multi-tester across both post. It was closed. Removed solenoid from starter and pushed it in several times. Recheck and it was ok. Unable to take solenoid apart. Checking to see if I can get a replacement. I may have used the starter 30 times. Its only warrantied for one year which is already out.

It may have had some condensation, and, or corocion and welded the contacts when you energized it. The joys of storage.

Speaking of storage, Do you guys cover your car with anything or leave it uncovered? If you cover, with what? Any special thing you do with engine? Gas additives etc.

All my cars are inside. I cover the roadster to keep dust off the interior. The closed cars just get dusty. They don't sit enough to add any additives.

I got car covers, but I don't put them on all the time. There is a cruise-in or car show almost evert Saturday and Sunday around here. I am lucky we have several gas (read no Ethanol) stations around here and a couple have 93 octane so that is all I use.

Have any of you heard of "sea foam" as an additive for ethanol contaminated gas? I believe its called "sea foam".

Yes I've heard of it. A lot of people rave about it. It's been used in the marine industry for years.

I use sea foam in everything. It seems to help stabilize the crappy fuel we get now. It does good on injectors. I've had more issues with moisture in fuel lately than ever. What brand fuel doesn't have ethanol in it? I haven't seen any that doesn't have the blend.

I use sea foam in everything. It seems to help stabilize the crappy fuel we get now. It does good on injectors. I've had more issues with moisture in fuel lately than ever. What brand fuel doesn't have ethanol in it? I haven't seen any that doesn't have the blend.
There are several stations near me that sell ethanol free fuel but you pay dearly for it. I figure that it is worth it for my yard tools and my '37 because it does not get driven that often. However, on my daily driver and my T I don't use it. The daily driver is made to run on the ethanol free and the T needs Hi Test and the ethanol free fuel is only regular.

Jim

I live in a rural area and don't travel out of my area too much lately, but I don't know of any stations that sell it. I do know where to get racing fuel, perhaps they have it, I haven't checked. I wouldn't worry, but the moisture and corrosion is a definite issue, plus anything with older carbs will likely have issues caused by deterioration. My boat and an old tow truck I have had the floats break down. I luckily found a place to get brass and alcohol resistant parts, Mikes carburator parts. Even my LS powered truck had issues with corosion. I recently had to replace all of the fuel lines. It runs fine on it, but if I dont drive it enough, I can tell there is moisture because it runs crappy until I run it out and refresh the fuel. That's where I noticed how well sea foam worked. Years ago, I used to have access to aviation fuel. That may be an option. That stuff would wake up high compression engines.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back