Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

So what do I have going on here?

engineboy

I recently acquired this older build that has been sitting for 2 centuries and am bringing it back to life again so dont mind the corrosion going on, it will be cured in due time. LOL

So this is the front end setup.

main.php

Im curious about what the side bars coming out of the front frame horn are. Are they just a sway bar type setup or an actual torsion bar that takes place of the shocks.?

main.php

Those are friction shocks. They are used in place of hydraulic shocks. If set up properly they work quite well. IMHO

Jim

It appears the axle tabs that hold the shock links are bolted to the axle , don't think
I've ever seen that before .

Those are friction shocks. They are used in place of hydraulic shocks. If set up properly they work quite well. IMHO

Jim

So you tighten the nuts to tighten the drag? My buddy in helping me out sprayed them with wd40 so Im guessing that if its a friction shock then that was a bad idea and I need to take them apart and clean them.

It appears the axle tabs that hold the shock links are bolted to the axle , don't think
I've ever seen that before .

They are, I was actually thinking of welding them in place. Just looks like a weak link to me with just a couple bolts in place that could easily shear off.

I doubt you'll ever put enough force against those bolts to shear them , more likely to have compromised the integrity of the axle by drilling it, which I doubt !!!

more likely to have compromised the integrity of the axle by drilling it

Me too. Depending on the thickness of the tube this is a place where cracks can develop. I have never, ever, seen anything bolted to a tube axle, always welded and I think there is a good reason for that. Perhaps the dampers were an add on after it was first built to quieten down the front end; welding would have destroyed the chrome...

Yes more pics of the T please.

Mich bucket ,
I've heard that push bar bumper is a Canadian requirement , did your car come from Canada ?

Friction shocks are not good for much: Friction disk shock absorber - Wikipedia

I'd cut those off. Try it without any shocks (I ran for 20 years without shocks) and if you still want some dampening, go with tube shocks or Houdaille shocks. Houdailles were on many cars until 1948 when the tube shock was invented. They are adjustable rotary hydraulic shocks. No one makes new ones, so you have to go with rebuilds which are hard to find. Here's mine:
NKorbItv2otCsuxo95Ju_9PcYZyFj9GYDXPdufxfZxJE7F06h6eMgbpTTYFX9szlEPg2htXk7kdC4thm_gTtC8B4Xt962ydIAeruqPKSocQzy3aUUHeOpnS-MjqBAY3aKblLvgZ-Rcg6m8x3ehfrOBLd3b20Z_lB6Pvbu2qfmMnMz1U7o0cx5l9BR-nWmJWR6pBMeVc8k0GoE7-eBNQaLdWVypr-AT2qgJT0ZmgRaeXfyjL9v4mQ1m_dUQmRx0ZbGkkaHiPOGRkomPcVkRUYOaTnfaNR2dvqjzbIW7WWsL4gQmdJL59fSf9saJVnSUbCAjDGCFQ9p92NVPUgXryG0Vpi9Tpiz_OKUG2o6f7qrNjs7QItwlfzNqcQLsRcTTn1eRzZZFSxpZPLjdL1t7PWHbDLKnR7KdUGjyjLJl-Z_gjzcQkB_ebn-KCFd5qwn593E9ZK2g9u6qzkwoSJR2YwNDoVudBQQxuorw-7KmaQksWRV-ljhMhG-DZvz-WIgHsem8xwM2s2uBQbKc-nGeI2KXGRrx_rxa62N0rjouxVVffCqNIlCvj4T37e6c1yD5xvCNzgxO9jPEIWzl7y9vX-6w0HQMeqExhgKiIpO_YCMmCcHdKsRGXFyZGp73MPpm6kNg-Qv6paZLfzlYtMLztpNG-lMa0lHQ8IzMDRqIq6ITizcmH5Bel9SgSm=w1021-h789-no

Mich bucket ,
I've heard that push bar bumper is a Canadian requirement , did your car come from Canada ?
2Old...no but pretty close! Michigan requirement. Here the state wants front/rear bumpers, turn signals, high beams, windshield wiper and washer, at least 1 mirror, seat belts (there is a list). They call it an assembled vehicle and the local police come out and check to see if you have everything (they sign a form). The form then goes to the state with your title application.

More evidence the gooberment is trying to legislate us out of existence ..What a shame to HAVE to install an eyesore ( no offence to much bucket) like that bumper ! Man , I'm glad
I got mine done 18 years ago and didn't have knuckle under to this kinda crap !!

True, true, I did remove it recently so I could refurbish it over the winter....just have to remember to put it back on the in spring. Here's a pic of the rear bumper....kinda works. Sorry EB.,,,won't hijack the thread any further
rr bumper.jpg

I ran friction shocks on my first T and they worked. The reason I changed to tube shocks was because I got tired of adjusting them and for looks. Your T Bucket looks like a Total Performance build. They used friction shocks for years without issues. If I were you, I'd drive it and then decide what you want.

Oh thats the plan. Get it up and running, make sure everything works. Pull the engine this winter for a re fresh, new rings/bearings/gaskets/cam/etc and then drive it the way it is and just pick at it changing or keeping things as I enjoy it.

True, true, I did remove it recently so I could refurbish it over the winter....just have to remember to put it back on the in spring. Here's a pic of the rear bumper....kinda works. Sorry EB.,,,won't hijack the thread any further
View attachment 15459

Don't mean to hijack this thread but have you heard of Nurf Bars/Push Bars?

I have friction shocks on my T bucket and a set 0f 4 Hartford shocks from the 1920's on my horseless carriage 1922 model T speedster. Hartfords have a star spring. some Harlies have a star spring that be adapted to hotrod friction shocks they look like these
from rgmnortonin the uk star-spring-washer_

OK, so now the question is, can these be adjusted in any way? After looking at my options as far as adding normal shocks I really dont want to get into redoing brackets and such at this point and am trying to keep the car as original as possible.

I have no issues, but I only have driven it enough to make sure it all works, trans/brakes/cooling system and now its going to get torn down a little for some engine upgrades and a serious detail (it hasnt been washed in 20 years) LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back