Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

So, why a T Bucket?

tfeverfred

I've gotten asked this a few times, mostly at car shows I used to participate in. For me, my path to old cars started with "American Graffiti". I grew up on a military base in upstate NY. I was at the crafts center one day and one of the employees, said I should go see this movie that had a lot of cars in it. After that, I was hooked on Hot Rods. AG was a game changer. Coming of age in the late 60's, all the cars known as Muscle Cars today, were just cars. My friends and I knew the HP numbers and the different makes and models, but they were just cars. Fast... but still cars. I left AG wondering, "What the hell is going on with those old cars?" They were cool and different.

Soon after, I talked my dad into getting me a subscription to Hot Rod magazine. I was all about Hot Rods and the passion grew. Then, in the summer of '74, there was a full page ad for, I think, "Mother's car wax". The photo was of an old lady standing next to a purple, chromed out T Bucket. That was it! I didn't know what the hell it was, all I knew was I was going to have one, one day. So, began the addiction.

In between "Miss Behavin'", my old T Bucket, there were a few "Muscle Cars", but that purple T Bucket had changed my life. T Buckets have minimal interior room, probably no radio or heat or A/C? Who, in their "right" mind would drive such an over powered, totally illogical car? So, what's your story? Why a T Bucket?

I have been a car fan all my life. After I got out of the Air Force and came back to Atlanta I started looking around for "car stuff" to do. I was introduced to "Sneaky" Pete Robinson a front engine top fuel dragster racer. We became friends and I went with him on some match races and the hook was set! I wanted something like his racer and my bucket's fate was set. The blower came off the Atlanta Speed Shop altered that won best appearing car at the Indy Nationals that Pete won in 1961. I have wanted another bucket for 40 years and it is real close to a start now.

That's awesome, ORF! A cool story and a bit of history. That's a win, win! Is that blower going to end up on your T?

I dont know when I first wanted a T. It just seems like I always have. My parents used to drag race and I've been around hotrods since day 1. I've had lots of hotrods and like all kinds (except ricers) but I FINALLY got a T and I love it.

1957 The "Kookie Kar" watched TV for just a shot of the car . Then all of my friends would talk about the car they saw on TV.

I have been around cars all of my life, my dad owned a body shop and always had all the cool cars. I was always into street rods, steel mostly. I actually wasnt looking for a T bucket. I had recently sold a couple toys and had been looking at a '41willys coup project, but I thought about it too long and let it get away. I ran across the bucket that I am now building and fell for it due to the era it came from with the 427 and the t10. It reminded me of better times.

That's awesome, ORF! A cool story and a bit of history. That's a win, win! Is that blower going to end up on your T?
Unfortunately that blower is long gone. I found the motor but he sold the blower. I have another blower and one of Petes drives that I'm going to use on the new car. I found 2 drives and a friend is running the other one on a '48 Anglia that won the HAMB race at Boling Green this year. Sets low e.t. and top speed at every nostalgic race he goes to. The car is called "American Lil Bit"' for anybody that may have seen it run.

Last edited:
Built my 27T because: Cobra's too expensive and there are really many out there. T-bucket just doesn't have enough leg room and there are many out there. 27T has more leg room and.....ya just don't see many at car shows. Usually just mine; sometimes one more.

I've been a "Car Guy" since I was old enough to understand what a car is. The first hot rod to catch my eye was the bobtail T "Tweedy Pie". During my younger years I made several attempts to kitbash models that were my spin on a Tweedy-esque T-bucket. Fast forward 50-some years to right after I'd acquired a GM 60V6 an 700R4 for the sole reason that they were too cheap to pass up. After about a 30 second debate with my friend over what to do with them we decided on a small lightweight T-Bucket. Soon after Tweedy came to mind, and the insanity began

I always wanted one since the mid seventies. I used to go to local car shows and really marvel at the metal flake paint and chrome. I had my share of muscle cars Camaros mustangs and always wanted a T-Bucket. So I built one.

Just 'cause'

Why not? They are basic is what I like about them. Well, that is unless you want to go to some extremes like some have and there is nothing wrong with that at all. A couple guys here have done just that in complete style in my book and kudos to choppinzech and potvinguy (I am sure there are others here I have overlooked, but, those two really stick in my head).....thinking outside the box and creating awesome rides. The basic automotive mechanical concept the style is what I like. No two are the same which is what I also find unique about them. I think they get a bad rap because of the fiberglass bodies and shop made frames. Hell, they are like 1:1 scale grown man models vs. the ones you stuck fire crackers in as a kid and blew up. Muscle cars are great as well, to each his own.....but, I think muscle cars lack the personalities T's bring.

My mind wonders occasionally and being a military guy for 29 years think about how wars were fought in years past. Can you imagine lining up on opposite side of a field and shooting at each other? Then flash forward to today....hell, we don't even know who the enemy is let alone getting together at a scheduled time to square off to shoot each other. Same line of thought an, original Model T Ford had a 177 cubic inch 20 hp motor and wooden wheels.......racing around a dirt track or straight away? Today cars exceeding 200 mph on a track with 36 degree banks......gents, that is how much we have evolved as a society (apologies for side thought) but, we as a people are truly amazing.

Not sure where I was going with the thought (damn bourbon!) but, if people want to look down at T buckets, that is fine. Sure, they for the most part are not original. Not many with Henry Ford steel, nor the engine and drive train, but, they are cool and fun as hell and even those that are die hard to keeping things original cannot argue that, they just don't admit it. No, I am not looking for acceptance or anything like that. I love T buckets and those that don't are missing out!

That ^ was great.

Because these cost too much damn money!! This was taken at Woodhull Speedway upstate NY.

Attachments

• 012 - Copy.JPG
    012 - Copy.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 35
Because these cost too much damn money!! This was taken at Woodhull Speedway upstate NY.

Not for me. No style...... just bare minimum to do the job in hand. Probably the exact opposite to T Bucket

Because I want to go racing again. Used to drag race 30 some years ago, kids came along and the racing ended. Started looking a while back for something to race, rollers, muscle cars, etc. A roller would have to be gone through, muscle cars other than rusted out hulks were way too expensive. Somehow I came across Paul Neville's and Andy Fadsters buckets and now I'm hooked. Lightweight, simple and basic, big horsepower not required to go quick. I've been collecting parts, searching for deals, got the rear end, slicks and rims, built power glide, a disassembled 468 BBC, all machine work done, also came with a new set of Probe 496 pistons. Wheeling and dealing and a little bit of manual labor I've got right at a grand in these parts. Building my own frame, all the bucket stuff will come from RPM. Low 9's in the 1/4 for not a whole lot of $, why wouldn't I want a bucket!!!

Not for me. No style...... just bare minimum to do the job in hand. Probably the exact opposite to T Bucket
Simplicity & cost is a major determining factor for a T-Bucket. The race car was way more complex in terms of chassis/set-ups than a T will be. Not to mention the $$ tag every time you trailer the car and hit the track, all for shi##& payouts. I could have built 3 buckets for the money in that car, live and learn lol (car guys never learn). I am sure I will appreciate my bucket when I get it done and my arse won't hurt from my wallet biting it every weekend :)

Simplicity & cost is a major determining factor for a T-Bucket. The race car was way more complex in terms of chassis/set-ups than a T will be. Not to mention the $$ tag every time you trailer the car and hit the track, all for shi##& payouts. I could have built 3 buckets for the money in that car, live and learn lol (car guys never learn). I am sure I will appreciate my bucket when I get it done and my arse won't hurt from my wallet biting it every weekend :)
You might want to check on all the rules & regs. pertaining to running sub-10 seconds ...
i know that at many tracks a "normal" street bucket would never be allowed..You may have to have chassis cert's , inspections , & a whole list of safety equip. [$$$$$$]
dave

You might want to check on all the rules & regs. pertaining to running sub-10 seconds ...
i know that at many tracks a "normal" street bucket would never be allowed..You may have to have chassis cert's , inspections , & a whole list of safety equip. [$$$$$$]
dave
Wrong guy , I'm sure he'll read it though. I'm building a cruising vessel :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back