Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Soft top question

Bagman

Have been designing a fold down top for my car. My question is how do they attach to windshield? That seems to be the only thing i cant picture in my head.

There is a wood header that fastens to the windshield. I thought about using a small bear claw latch with the stud bolted to the w/s frame.

Attaching to the windshield is what has stopped me also . The bear claw would require a horizontal post , but that doesn't really "locate" the header [in my mind] I've been considering some kind of small "over-center" latches w/ vertical locating pins ....still looking ...
dave

I have a door , but the wife has a bum knee , that's why I need the top to fold back , she'd never be able to bend herself in w/a top in place ....:(
dave​

LST used a bracket from the front wooden 'bow' to the hinge bolts on the screen. Nothing attached to the frame at the top.

LST B & W (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Its hard to see in this pic, but if you look closely you can see a 'brace' from the screen hinges to the front bow. The front bow was spaced forward and away from the screen frame. In fact the top did not touch the body at the back and sides either.

You could install posts on the top frame and holes in the header, like convirtibels do. Maybe look for a pair of small convirtible top latches from a small sports car or the like. That would solve the locating and securing issues. ??

LST used a bracket from the front wooden 'bow' to the hinge bolts on the screen. Nothing attached to the frame at the top.

View attachment 12274

Its hard to see in this pic, but if you look closely you can see a 'brace' from the screen hinges to the front bow. The front bow was spaced forward and away from the screen frame. In fact the top did not touch the body at the back and sides either.

That is definitely a good idea. Tganks for the pic! It makes it easy to understand

You could install posts on the top frame and holes in the header, like convirtibels do. Maybe look for a pair of small convirtible top latches from a small sports car or the like. That would solve the locating and securing issues. ??
I thought of this, but not sure how to do it since i have no top frame on windshield. Thank you for the convertible idea. To be truthful i never even thought of researching convertibles.

Bagman,

I have been noodling with different designs for a folding top. Would you please post your design?

Thanks!

IMG_20160729_201821314_zpsnvmo5dec.jpg

Hopefully it is not too hard to see in this pic. But, I made a removable soft top, and attached some flat aluminum to the frame work and polished. The leg attaches to the windshield frame with one acre on each side. It works and to date has not flown off. Ii do not have a headboard, but, used conduit clamps that are welded to the top frame and hook over the windshield frame.

Bagman,

I have been noodling with different designs for a folding top. Would you please post your design?

Thanks!
Still working the plan up in my head. I hope to fool around with it this weekend. Will post some pics if I make any progress.

IMG_20160729_201821314_zpsnvmo5dec.jpg

Hopefully it is not too hard to see in this pic. But, I made a removable soft top, and attached some flat aluminum to the frame work and polished. The leg attaches to the windshield frame with one acre on each side. It works and to date has not flown off. Ii do not have a headboard, but, used conduit clamps that are welded to the top frame and hook over the windshield frame.

Thanks for the pic!! That helps a bunch.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back