Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Some brief changes

Mike

As you've doubtless noticed, there have been some changes made to the site. The good news is that you won't have to endure these changes for long.

After spending the last week, weighing all the options, I've made the painful decision to close the T-Bucket Forums.

I actually was preparing to do just that, back at the first of the year. The site had outgrown its hosting package again and was going to require a rather large financial commitment to keep up. Monthly expenses had exceeded what I was willing to spend out of pocket, some 2-3 years ago, and without support from the members of this site, we were going to be dead in the water. I really couldn't see the way forward and was resigning myself to closing things down at that time. A small percentage of our members stepped up with donations that were going to allow us to expand into much larger quarters, so I decided to carry on as before. Since October 2006, I've done everything I could to ensure we were running on the most robust and functional software. I've worked countless thousands of hours, trying to tweak things to run faster and smoother. When members asked for a photo gallery, I added one. When members complained about slow page loads, I purchased better hosting. When members requested a tech library, I nearly drove myself insane, setting one up. When members requested a member's map, I waded into a Beta script that fought me for several days, setting up a map. Late last October, an upgrade to the forum script nearly killed our search engine traffic and I've just managed to get that turned around in the last 6 or 7 weeks. I don't even want to think of the time I've invested in getting that snafu squared away.

A small handful of you could see none of this just magically appeared on its own and you financially supported the site. Frankly, I think the members who decided against offering any financial support should be doing this, because it was them who were realizing the benefits, but I'll step up and offer you my gratitude. Some of you have made overwhelming donations and have requested anonymity. And I've tried to be a good steward of those dollars.

We've been blessed to have such faithful support from the forum sponsors over the years. It took a lot of trust on their part to give this wee forum their hard-earned profits and on behalf of everyone here, I want to thank each one of them for being there to help.

This past month has been an interesting one, to say the very least. When we started experiencing problems with some Windows/Internet Explorer users having problems logging in, I never imagined it would require such a huge investment of time to find a work-around. Over the last month, I've spent nearly 200 hours, trying to sort out the problem.

I wanted to get everyone up to speed with the latest gallery script and spent countless hours working through the teething pains of a Beta script and upgrading it through all of the growing pains to the final release version. I upgraded the member's map script (twice), upgraded the classifieds script and upgraded the tracker support script.

None of which addresses the bad penny that seems to like coming back to play more head games, refereeing all the normal day-to-day squabbles and helping out members who have forgotten their passwords or cannot figure out how a forum feature works.

Monday, I received the invoice for the renewal of all the licensed software that drives this site. And I began to question what this is really all about. Today, the first message in my InBox was the invoice to renew the hosting for the month of May. And so I visited the site to see donations fell $65 short of the quota for the month. Which might seem like no big deal to the majority of you, because you've never really paid attention to that quota anyway. But it is a big deal to me and I am not willing to risk spending that much or more, again next month.

The icing on the cake? I discovered a member had sent me a Private Message, offering to make me a deal. If I were willing to lift the Warn Status on his account (which is at 0, along with everyone else), he would be willing to "be good" and abide by all the forum rules and regulations. Pretty good deal, aye? He apparently feels he's done something wrong, but if I lift his warn status, he promises to play by the rules. Do I look like a babysitter, or what?

So here is how things play out from here. Damned if I'm going to spend 350-400 hours of my own time, each month, working to make this site better and then have to dig into my own pocket to cover the donation shortages to boot. Paying for the right to spend all my free time here just isn't part of my plans. Screw every last bit of that. To those who have made donations over the last month, I have covered the donation shortage out of my pocket, to keep the site open until 31 May. All of this has really left me in a rather rotten mood, so don't be surprised to discover the forum closed to all except forum sponsors and those who have donated to keep the forum afloat.

Yeah. I know. It's upsetting to me, as well.

Mike,
I'm just sittin' here with my mouth hanging open and don't quite know what to say... I guess I could say that I worried about this happening when you decided to do the major upgrading earlier this year, or that I was worried about you getting tired of all the many hours you spent on this, or that I had predicted that having to deal with "problem children" would eventually get to you, or... But none of that really matters, huh? I guess you have made your decision, and we just need to get on with it.

There are, of course, other forums, none as good as this one or with such a friendly and accepting group, but we will survive and see the group elsewhere. It won't be the same, of course, but life goes on and it seems you will be happier, so that is very important too. Or, will you be happier? Of course the finacial thing is a killer, and admittedly I and many others haven't done our share all the time, and many have never done their share at all, and your personality doesn't lend itself to begging, nor should it. So that is a big issue, but one I think could have been handled if it were the only issue by perhaps putting some others in charge of shaking the bushes for funds, and issuing friendly reminders of what had to happen to keep this alive. JMHO here on that one...

But it seems the die is cast, and it's time for me to really thank you Mike, for all the hard work, for all the harrassment you've endured, and for making us realize how important communications with like miinds can be. Without your dilligence and purserverance in keeping this going, we'd all be much worse off. By keeping a fair mind on the tiller, you've given us all a fair shot and made sure we treated each other with respect, and for that I personally wish to thank you. You have given us all a lot to think about in areas outside the automotive world as well, and I think with a good balance of content on that. Thanks for all the Linux information you've provided, and for showing others that there are other ways to skin the computer cat.

I guess only one more thing comes to mind here, and that is what is the cut off date? End of May?

Corley

Mike,
I'm just sittin' here with my mouth hanging open and don't quite know what to say... I guess I could say that I worried about this happening when you decided to do the major upgrading earlier this year, or that I was worried about you getting tired of all the many hours you spent on this, or that I had predicted that having to deal with "problem children" would eventually get to you, or... But none of that really matters, huh? I guess you have made your decision, and we just need to get on with it.

There are, of course, other forums, none as good as this one or with such a friendly and accepting group, but we will survive and see the group elsewhere. It won't be the same, of course, but life goes on and it seems you will be happier, so that is very important too. Or, will you be happier? Of course the finacial thing is a killer, and admittedly I and many others haven't done our share all the time, and many have never done their share at all, and your personality doesn't lend itself to begging, nor should it. So that is a big issue, but one I think could have been handled if it were the only issue by perhaps putting some others in charge of shaking the bushes for funds, and issuing friendly reminders of what had to happen to keep this alive. JMHO here on that one...

But it seems the die is cast, and it's time for me to really thank you Mike, for all the hard work, for all the harrassment you've endured, and for making us realize how important communications with like miinds can be. Without your dilligence and purserverance in keeping this going, we'd all be much worse off. By keeping a fair mind on the tiller, you've given us all a fair shot and made sure we treated each other with respect, and for that I personally wish to thank you. You have given us all a lot to think about in areas outside the automotive world as well, and I think with a good balance of content on that. Thanks for all the Linux information you've provided, and for showing others that there are other ways to skin the computer cat.

I guess only one more thing comes to mind here, and that is what is the cut off date? End of May?

Corley
Not much i can add to that.Thanks Mike

I can certainly understand your frustrations and respect your decision. I have enjoyed the site greatly and appreciate all your work to make it happen. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday.

Thank you Mike for all your hard work. I am sorry to see it end. I appreciate you, and all your hard work.--I-have enjoyed YOU and this site greatly. IT'S THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB!-----dam

Thanks for the memories and all the work............................ :suicide:

Mike

Thanks for all the time you invested to keep this site afloat . Met alot of good people on this site will be tough to not see some of these builds finished.

Mike, I can sure relate to the business aspect of everything. And then there are people that don't take the time to post and reply. One or two people talking to each other, but

nobody else talking. If you ask a question to one of the forum members, they act like you don't exist. I've been in business my whole life. I had to shut a business down, because I

could no longer stand the people that were taking and never giving anything back. I've personally really enjoyed your wit and intelligence and always have liked reading your

threads. It does wear on a person constantly having to deal with idiots. That's what happened with me and my shop. Just finally got fed up. From me to you, thanks for the times.

I'm a different kind of character. I love the format of this site, and for me, probably won't go anywhere else. I hated being the F------ bad guy myself all the time at my place of

business, so I know where you're coming from. You're smart and will be successful in anything you do and I wish you the best. You've done a good job and I've liked you. Any

response from me, would be just not understanding how to do things on the web. All the things I've learned on this site with how to communicate with others would have sure

helped me with dealing with a 10 year court battle. My ability to understand people has greatly increased because of this site and I thank you for that. Sincerely, RAN

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for all you've done. It's been a very valuable source of information as my build progresses.

Mike, this is my first and last post. I'm a new member and have made small monthly donations. Have loved reading the facts and opinions.
Just wanted to say thank you. Thank you

Shoot!
Will say my goodbyes nearer the end.
Just now, I am a bit shocked
Gerry

Mike,
I can understand your position on all of this and if there wasn't enough s*** on your plate a roach in the closet has revealed himself. If you do shut down I wish you luck in new adventures.......ruggs

Doesn't take much math: 400 hours times a lousy $10 an hour equals $4,000.
How many of you would work for $10 an hour?

@ Corley - No, it doesn't make me happy to have to shut it down. I hate that it is finally happening and it took a lot of painful consideration to get to this point. There is no way to begin to count the hours it took to put the site together and to build it into what it has become. The site is very much a part of me, so it hurts to see it all coming to an end. There are some mighty fine people here and I hate knowing we're coming to a fork in the road.

@ "Allen" - You're a real piece of work. You were doing a real poor job of fooling anyone, and I was the only one with the benefit of seeing your IP address. I figured as long as you laid low, I was going to look the other way. But a leopard can't change its spots, can it Bob? You piss all over me on your vanity Web site and then want to come in here and tell me how great a guy I am? What a hoot! Had I really been smart, I would have trotted your ass back out the door on day one. Do me a favor. Go post some more shite about me on your Web site. Go have a Coke and a smile. Go have an ice cream. Go anywhere you want, but just go. And when you go, keep in mind we're not as "easy" as you might have imagined. Everyone wave good-bye to Bob Nunes, a second time around. And wave at him with the knowledge this is the individual who promised to "be good", if I would lift the warn status from his account. Wave at him with the knowledge that he was the straw that broke this camel's back. C'mon everyone, wave with enthusiasm, this guy's a legend in his own mind, so show him how much he really means to you. Wave in the knowledge this poser never spent a dime of his own money to support this site, but now he wants to point out to each one of you how poor my pay scale was.

I've had several people contact me in private, asking me to reopen the donations script. It really means a lot, knowing you are willing to donate to a site that is breathing its last. I can't accept your donations and still sleep at night, so I am going to respectfully decline your requests.

I've also had a couple people contact me with questions about possibly purchasing the site. I've already had a couple of offers on the site, but I've decided against selling. I do have some offers to purchase the software licenses and they are most certainly going to go. As for the database, I am not interested in selling it. I appreciate the interest, but selling the entire site would be too much like selling a part of my life.

Mike
As for the database, I am not interested in selling it.

Thank you for this. At least we know are details are safe with you.
I cant believe one EGOMANIAC has brought us to this point.

I for one would like the Donations script reopened so we can make up the short fall on last months donations. Like you always said its our forum as well and if it has to go then it should be on a level plain. I would feel just as bad as you, that the last thing that happened was you having to be 65 bucks out of pocket on our behalf.

I know this is your call, but its our responsibility to make thing square; dont you think?

BEST dollars I have spent in may years was helping this forum to keep going.
I for one will keep posting till I get the 'no longer available' sign.

Gerry

This is like losing an old friend. I have learned more on here than I ever could anywhere else, thanks to the generous people on here. If only I could win the lottery and make this a profitable venture for Mike. There are several people on here that I would like to record their e-mail info if I don't see any objections, I wont mention any names but several people here have helped me many times and I have great respect for them and would like to meet several of the members in person someday.

Mike, I don't understand why you are unwilling to sell the site. It resolves all of the negatives for you and allows all the hard work you've done to be carried on as your legacy. Seems like a win-win-win to me... you get rid of the headaches (win), you get some or maybe most of your money back (win), and we get to continue to enjoy the camaraderie and support of our T buddies (big WIN!).

Of the half-dozen T-bucket and hot rod sites I follow on a daily basis, this is BY FAR my favorite. Sure we have the occasional knucklehead mucking things up, but it is nowhere near as bad as some other sites, thanks to your tight policing.

C'mon, give us a break! Let someone cash you out and take over the site.

I know life brings many changes, some good and some bad. This is one of the bad ones!

I'm sad it has to be this way, but good luck Mike in your next adventure!

Rick Miller

Mike, I don't understand why you are unwilling to sell the site. It resolves all of the negatives for you and allows all the hard work you've done to be carried on as your legacy. Seems like a win-win-win to me... you get rid of the headaches (win), you get some or maybe most of your money back (win), and we get to continue to enjoy the camaraderie and support of our T buddies (big WIN!).

Of the half-dozen T-bucket and hot rod sites I follow on a daily basis, this is BY FAR my favorite. Sure we have the occasional knucklehead mucking things up, but it is nowhere near as bad as some other sites, thanks to your tight policing.

C'mon, give us a break! Let someone cash you out and take over the site.

GOT MY VOTE. At last a suitable solution to all 'our' problems.
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back