Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

sort of new guy from Illinois...

vstarbob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey, I'm Bob from Havana, IL.
I'm a registered nurse. I recently switched for hospital nursing to hospice nursing.
I drive approximately 600-700 miles a week, but I'm cruising in my Escape and would be rather tooling around in my Jeep Wrangler.

Always messed with cars... MG, Mustang, Firebird, Camaro, Impala, Chevelle, Comet, and Jeep (too many to count)

A T-Bucket has always been on my list. Fell in love with them before I was driving (30+ years ago). Had a friend that had one he built back in the very early 80's. Got to ride in it once and was in love.

I was just about to to start a project a few years back, but things got in the way...
I'm tossing around a bare bones budget project.

Honestly, I'd like to get a full kit from a company, but not sure I can swing the $$$ outlay all at one time.
I'm a fan of rear leaf spring vs. the coil overs, but honestly... really don't think it'll matter in the end. I just want to build one.

engine... I like 302 sbf, but I know most are sbc.
I've always wanted a ford in a ford. toss a c4 behind it and have fun.
I know majority are sbc, that would be very cheap and easy for me. My father-in-law has a sbc 350 in the garage that he took out of his 40 chevy p/u. It ran great... he just wanted to build an engine and he's also got a th350 attached to it, he changed to a 700r4.
so, if I truly want a budget build, there is a chunk of change that I won't have to spend. They are free.

I need to do a lot more research.
All the info I had stashed away was on my old computer, and it crashed a while back.

so, I guess It's time to just start digging up pics and information.
It's been ages since I was last here... I'm planning on hanging around for a long while.

Welcome, Bob! You'll enjoy this site, and learn a lot!!! Re: your build plans - I think you'd be wise to start with the 350/350 combo you already have on hand, then 'upgrade' to the SBF/C4 later as funds permit. Get a frame from Ron or Spirit or CCR and then add front and rear axles. My bucket features 'donated' drive train components - '72 Camaro rear axle, a 350 block which I rebuilt with a kit from Northern Auto Parts, donated TH 350 from another buckethead who upgraded to the 700 R4. It's a blast to drive and tinker with.
T-Bucket2x.jpg

Go for the Ford in a Ford to begin with and sell that boat anchor in the shop........Any one can use a sbc only real die hard fans can use a Ford motor.........Welcome back and now hang around for a little while.....

You can pick up 302's SBF's cheap as well. Look for the early 80's full size cars as they were in lots of them and can be bought cheap. I run a mild 302, .030 over with World Windsor Jr heads, offy dual quad intake with (2) 500 cfm Edelbrocks. Runs great and has been reliable for the last 8 years. I run 3.73 gears, a C4 with a shift kit, and fairly tall tires. Its never trailered and we yearly make long trips in it. A stone stock one with a 4 bbl intake and 600 Holley or edelbrock makes for an inexpensive cruiser. Stick to near stock accessories like alternators, starters, and distributors and you'll never be stuck in BFE looking for a magnetic pickup for that cool billet alternator you have. The last build we did (albeit a SBC) we bought the alt, starter, distributor, fuel pump, wires, battery, and the like from Autozone. if we ever have a problem, there is always one close by. Keep it simple mechanically and spend the $$ on a decent comfortable interior and body/paint. We built that entire car with used and left over parts, our own frame and suspension fab work, and us doing the paint- all for about $8k. Here is my 302 in my '27 and few pics of our last build:

I'm a chevy fan but if you want a SBF, get a SBF! Save or barter the 350 (just tell your father-in law your plans) I had friends that wanted a motor I had stored in my barn for a car that they had, so I gave it to them, then I find out that they sold it a few weeks later.... I could of done that! That's what I get for trying to help friends.

Ford in a Ford.... how much of any of these cars was built by Ford? Lol... just sayin. Run what you want, you are building it! I like all of them, some better than others, not because of the pieces, but how they are designed and built. Old, different, hard to find power plants get my attention because of the era, but whatever works for the build. Jmo.

Ford in a Ford.... how much of any of these cars was built by Ford? Lol... just sayin. Run what you want, you are building it! I like all of them, some better than others, not because of the pieces, but how they are designed and built. Old, different, hard to find power plants get my attention because of the era, but whatever works for the build. Jmo.

I would love a to run a y-block, but they are few and far in my neck of the woods.
IF I find one for right price.... or free... I may do that.
A flat head would be cool too, but way out of my budget constraints
I'm after a look more than a power house.

I would love a to run a y-block, but they are few and far in my neck of the woods.
IF I find one for right price.... or free... I may do that.
A flat head would be cool too, but way out of my budget constraints
I'm after a look more than a power house.
Mine has a BBC, a 1967 427 4 speed. It's the correct engine for the vettes, rated at 425 or 435 horse, whatever the max insurability rating was back then. Overkill for sure, but that's what attracted me to the project.
I love the old flat heads. That would be my first choice if I was building from scratch. The y blocks are rare these days unless you find someone who holds on to stuff. I like the way they sound. There are many cool engines from various manufactures. A little Buick 215 wildcat aluminum v8 would be a good one, or a olds f85 aluminum supercharged v8, not something you see every day. Always liked the 390, 427 fe, or the 429, 460 too. Then there are the chryslers... I like many, too many! Lol.

Welcome from Wisconsin. There is a lot of good info on this sight. Ask questions, the guys here are willing to help. Every time I go on this sight I learn something new. My problem is remembering what I learned. Oh well, that's life.

Ford in a Ford, period. Ford 320, AOD and Ford 8.8 rear end. I spread my build over a couple of years partially due to St. Louis weather so didn't have to spend all at once. Frame, body, interior, and radiator from Spirit. Front suspension complete and radius rods from Ron Pope. Other stuff from Speedway, Summit Racing, salvage yards and others. Fact is that unless you plan to build it real fast you don't need everything at the same time. Also, if you can have the big stuff shipped to a commercial address you'll save $100's in shipping charges.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back