Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Space Heater?

Suppose I could just remove the gas and electrical connections.
FYI : code and permit are synonyms for tax. Yeah, like zoning, there are valid reasons for their existence, however, more often than not, they are more likely to be used to complicate honest people’s lives than to actually protect against habitual offenders who actually cause problems. If you haven’t sold a home recently, beware... no matter how pristine and perfect it is, they will find something wrong or not up to code... it’s called negotiation. They make an offer, then send in home inspectors and appraisers to pick it apart so they can devalue it and renegotiate the deal. Sold three in the past two years. After the first one, everything is sold “as is”. No renegotiations, no repairs. Take it or leave it. Too many parasites in the industry and there are some extremely dishonest participants.

At least your installation looks well done. Some of the "homeowner hookups" are real nightmares from a safety standpoint. If and when you sell your home, what will you do about a possible code violation?
Not all “home owner installations” are nightmares. Some are for sure. I spent a large portion of my life building, remodeling, etc in residential and commercial real estate. I’ve seen licensed contractors and home owners do seriously shoddy work. I’ve seen inspectors pick little guys work apart over non sense issues but sign off on their pals work without looking at it, allowing for numerous infractions. Anyone can do it right if they desire to do so. Be safe, that’s the bottom line.

I may not know everything but I know quite a bit about the building trades. As far as safety goes, I’m not going to do something to jeopardize my safety or my life. Even without a permit I’m going to do it correctly (hopefully!).

The "without a permit" is what the insurance adjusters love to see.

Last Fall I decided to see what a Propane heater would cost me to install in my 1080 sqft shop. This is a 1 year old building and is not insulated or drywalled so it is like a barn. I researched the cost of a heater and piping and such so I knew about what the hardware bill would run and that was about 2 grand. Of course I can't do my install myself in my wheelchair. I called 2 local furnace installers and had them visit and give me a quote. The first item to discuss and the installers said my shop would not pass inspection and a permit would be denied because I had no insulation or covered walls (sheetrock) in my shop and the ceiling was open. (The local city ordinance on heating auxiliary buildings is Harsh) So I asked them what it would cost without a permit. Both of the installers (two different companies) quoted me over 6 grand. A funny thing about the bids they were exactally the same down to the cent. Me seems to think a conspiracy is in the HVAC world! Needles to say so much for that idea.

I tried to heat the shop with a torpedo heater but I could only heat the area I was working at at a time. and like the previous mention of eating through the propane it left a residual odder in the air of burnt money. I have finally settled on a temporary deal and that is a Radiant heater mounted on top of my 5 gallon propane tank. It only heats the immediate area but if I set it about 4 feet away from where I am working it make things kind of tolerable. I get about 6 to 8 hrs of use on each tank! I have only been working about 1 to 2 hrs at a time in the shop and it works minimally. I am thinking maybe next year I will insulate and sheetrock the inside and then go with an overhead propane heater after that but I am going to find some less inexpensive installer to install. I tell ya HVAC these days ain't cheep!!

I have a hard time paying anyone to do work I'm capable of doing, and there's not much that I'm not capable of doing.
It's tough to pay someone $5000 for a job I can do for $1500.
Its gotten so bad I don't even let a shop put my car on a lift to change the tires anymore...I pull the wheels off myself and bring them in loose.

Unfortunately, that means I get myself "to-do" lists that are insanely long and end up sacrificing the things I "want" to do in favor of the things I "need" to do.

In my head I know that my time has value too, and its not the end of the world to drop a little cash to save myself some trouble, but its hard to put that knowledge into practice.

FWIW, I would absolutely do a heating a job myself, no question. Gas plumbing is no big deal as long as you have a couple of big-ass pipe wrenches. Just research the codes so you know you are compliant, and make sure you soap-bubble test all the joints before putting them into full service.

Agree, natural gas is best. Perhaps if we had some details and or pics of the shop in question, showing the existing gas line, etc, we could offer better help.
It's just a standard 3-car home garage, maybe 30' by 25'. The gas source is in the basement, but I ran the 220 line from there and could run the gas line myself. The only part that really worries me is the air intake and exhaust pipes. They have to go thru the wall, so gotta cut a hole or two, do pipes and flashing, etc. Not something I've ever tackled. And wifey wonders how much I'll use the heater. At 77 my energy flags...

I have a hard time paying anyone to do work I'm capable of doing, and there's not much that I'm not capable of doing.

Me too. But we want to put in 1400+ sq. ft. of vinyl flooring and my back hurts just thinking about it. All of the tear out and disposal and such. What would probably take me 2 months worth of weekends, a pro crew could do in a day or two.

It's just a standard 3-car home garage, maybe 30' by 25'. The gas source is in the basement, but I ran the 220 line from there and could run the gas line myself. The only part that really worries me is the air intake and exhaust pipes. They have to go thru the wall, so gotta cut a hole or two, do pipes and flashing, etc. Not something I've ever tackled. And wifey wonders how much I'll use the heater. At 77 my energy flags...
I totally understand the energy crisis part. I wrestle with similar issues. The flip side is enjoy it while you can... right answer? Mystery. If you have vinyl or aluminum siding, it’s pretty simple to do, there are pre molded trim boxes that allow wall penetrations. Wood or masonry are not quite as easy, but doable. I remember having friends coming over after work and on weekends to help with such projects. I have to drive to the cemetery to see them now... time is not our friend!

Last Fall I decided to see what a Propane heater would cost me to install in my 1080 sqft shop. This is a 1 year old building and is not insulated or drywalled so it is like a barn. I researched the cost of a heater and piping and such so I knew about what the hardware bill would run and that was about 2 grand. Of course I can't do my install myself in my wheelchair. I called 2 local furnace installers and had them visit and give me a quote. The first item to discuss and the installers said my shop would not pass inspection and a permit would be denied because I had no insulation or covered walls (sheetrock) in my shop and the ceiling was open. (The local city ordinance on heating auxiliary buildings is Harsh) So I asked them what it would cost without a permit. Both of the installers (two different companies) quoted me over 6 grand. A funny thing about the bids they were exactally the same down to the cent. Me seems to think a conspiracy is in the HVAC world! Needles to say so much for that idea.

I tried to heat the shop with a torpedo heater but I could only heat the area I was working at at a time. and like the previous mention of eating through the propane it left a residual odder in the air of burnt money. I have finally settled on a temporary deal and that is a Radiant heater mounted on top of my 5 gallon propane tank. It only heats the immediate area but if I set it about 4 feet away from where I am working it make things kind of tolerable. I get about 6 to 8 hrs of use on each tank! I have only been working about 1 to 2 hrs at a time in the shop and it works minimally. I am thinking maybe next year I will insulate and sheetrock the inside and then go with an overhead propane heater after that but I am going to find some less inexpensive installer to install. I tell ya HVAC these days ain't cheep!!
I have a couple hvac guys that I can use and are honest but many are not. I’ve owned rentals for years so I do much of my own work out of convenience more than anything. Fortunately I learned the basic trade early in life and keep my tools for everything I’ve ever done... money in the bank. I am tiring of being the everything guy.

Me too. But we want to put in 1400+ sq. ft. of vinyl flooring and my back hurts just thinking about it. All of the tear out and disposal and such. What would probably take me 2 months worth of weekends, a pro crew could do in a day or two.
I feel that. We bought laminate flooring for the whole house maybe 6 months ago and about half of it is still in the boxes in my basement waiting for me to get to it. I'm hoping to get a small room done this weekend but its pretty easy to get distracted by things that don't end with sore knees.
The worst part is the basement is MY space and I really want all that crap out of it but I have to actually do the work to make that happen.

What not go with a electric heater, then all that's involved by a contractor would be running a 220v line. That's
done everyday and shouldn't cost near as much as the gas equivalent with all that's required. You could hang
the heater from the ceiling. According to the ratings by the manufactures, you need about 25K BTUs/Hr to heat
750 sq/ft. They call it a garage heater, but is that insulated ? I know my 45K heater is way more than I need, but
I'm insulated in all but one wall.

It's a shame to have such a super nice floor that you can't enjoy 6 months of the year. I have my computer, dual
monitors and everything I need in the garage, I'm in there almost every day, all day.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...age-heaters+4294837179+4294837165_0_0_P-Price

What not go with a electric heater, then all that's involved by a contractor would be running a 220v line. That's
done everyday and shouldn't cost near as much as the gas equivalent with all that's required. You could hang
the heater from the ceiling. According to the ratings by the manufactures, you need about 25K BTUs/Hr to heat
750 sq/ft. They call it a garage heater, but is that insulated ? I know my 45K heater is way more than I need, but
I'm insulated in all but one wall.

It's a shame to have such a super nice floor that you can't enjoy 6 months of the year. I have my computer, dual
monitors and everything I need in the garage, I'm in there almost every day, all day.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...age-heaters+4294837179+4294837165_0_0_P-Price
Yeah, I have this 5kw one now, but it just heats the air. The car and tools are still cold. And I figure it's about $1/hr to run. And after 5 hours the air is warm enough, I'm good for maybe 30 minutes of work. Hard to justify. So maybe I'll just make plans during the winter and execute in the summer.

That makes me sad PotvinGuy.
Yeah boy. Five years ago I could spend all day in the garage. Now it's 30 minutes, go pee, rest a while, go back for 15, etc. And I sit whenever possible, roll around on my little shop stool. Dread having to get down and work under, because then I'll have to get back up, which is an embarrassing spectacle. I fumble and drop the tools I used to deftly manipulate. On and off with the reading glasses. Can't see the numbers on the drill bits or the sockets. Our time is running out. As people and I fear as a sport. The age of street rods has peaked and passed. But I'm glad I was part of it.

Glad I’m not the only one that feels like that! When I was reading that I was thinking “Indycars has been telling on me”! I don’t know what l would do without his help and encouragement! Thanks Rick!

Yeah boy. Five years ago I could spend all day in the garage. Now it's 30 minutes, go pee, rest a while, go back for 15, etc. And I sit whenever possible, roll around on my little shop stool. Dread having to get down and work under, because then I'll have to get back up, which is an embarrassing spectacle. I fumble and drop the tools I used to deftly manipulate. On and off with the reading glasses. Can't see the numbers on the drill bits or the sockets. Our time is running out. As people and I fear as a sport. The age of street rods has peaked and passed. But I'm glad I was part of it.
Well said Potvin!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back