Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Speedster bodies?

mikesplumbing

Anybody ever try and incorporate a speedster body with a more modern type chassis like used on a bucket? I just about wet myself when I seen this.
Mike
speedster2.jpg

Mike: Poliform (who made my body) offers a "1919 T Speedster body" in fiberglass. It would be easy to build a chassis for it. You could pretty easily duplicate something similar to this out of sheetmetal. The big 6 may be a little out of place, but hey this is hot rodding! Here are pics and link:

Poli-Form: About Poli-Form Fiberglass

19speed.jpg

19speedster.jpg

I like this one alot...oh man, now I want to build one!! I can see a more modern chassis, cool polished radiator, big dayton wires...oh wait Dan Webb already built one!

Mike%20Hamlton%2048%20side.jpg

str_0028.jpg

Ever since he built this for his daughter a few years ago, I thought that a fiberglass body and chassis in this vain (not a copy) would be a great little kit to build and sell... maybe some day :welcome:

Well.....What I was thinking of is still a bucket but with a speedster appeal, if that even makes sense. Kind of like the folks here with the track t's. Not sure if I can even explain what i mean.

Mike

Where did you find that car Mike????? It's awesome. Any more pictures of it?? Speedsters can be alot of fun to build and inexpencive too. Do a search on here. This has been brought up before.

Ron

Here's a teaser shot of my ongoing project;

Arearxmbr006Small.jpg

OK Ron, this is all I have. Doesn't this just send tingles down your spine. Imagine wearing goggles and a leather helmet and just cruising a country road all by yourself and the sound of that little engine just howeling along, darn, when I first saw this my first thought was " where has this type of car been, man do I leave a sheltered life"

Anyhow, the body would be kind of simple to build but i'm not sure how I would go about the chassis etc.

Hope you like the photos.
Mike

speedster2a.jpg

and the engine

speedster2b.jpg

These are awesome lil cars. I hope to be digging the 'Projet out to do some more work on it this winter. Anyone know where I can get apair of '42 to '48 Chevy front fenders? Thanks for the pics. Plans are to run a flathead basicly stock '31 engine thru a multi disc '28 trans and a '31 rearend. Rims will be 18" '32 ford. Completely streetable. And yes I have a leather skull cap with goggles, white silk scarf and bomber jacket. Need to find some leggings yet.

Ron

I made 4 speedster bodies, the first one about 30 years ago, I was trying to get mine running for the 4. th of july parade, had it steering and stopping so we had the neighbor tow it with his 28 john deere. they still gave us the award for best antique. . We have been very busy on the farm all summer and just got a load of block to build a 48 x 36 garage that will be split when we finally build a duplex on each end... when the snow gets too deep I'll get a chance to get back to the speedster. A lot of speedster events have restrictions against using late model parts but if you just want to have fun pirating a mini truck drive train is a lot cheaper .

Those speedsters are good looking. We had a doctor around here that had one. He died years ago and the family sold it. It was canary yellow and cute as can be. That 300 inline 6 will make it fly!

Are you going for a track-t look with a pointy rearend?

I'm not sure what i'm going for. If I did go for the speedster style I would use steel and hand form it. In fact, i'm tempted to hand form a T bucket body but the fiberglass bodies are so cheap it hardly pays.

The speedster however could be made with either aluminum or steel but would be required to make a full size wood buck and would really extend the project time line. My son plays an active role in the project and I don't want to turn it into a ME type of thing.

Every day I try and do something on the project even if it's for 15 minutes. Sometimes we clean parts and sometimes we research online. What were finding is we both like the vintage type style. The speedster has many qualities about it that I like but it's a pretty far cry from a T Bucket and in the end very hard to incorporate the two styles and still be a T Bucket........a car which is awesome on its own accord.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is build the T bucket, have fun with the family at car shows etc. and when it's done start building a speedster. Would I like to build a speedster right now? Oh heck yeah!!!! It just wouldn't be fair to my son, so I can wait.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back