Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Speedway Parts

any more info on the speedway parts any follow up?Im curious as i never had a problem,except some of the cheaper stuff is just that cheap but you get what you ordered

signbender; What if the parts in question had been chrome plated would this have weekend them?
I know we are not alowed to use chrome parts over here stainles steel is the thing we like cheers Keith:):):)

signbender,

There are a number of opinions on the subject of chrome plating steel parts. There is a lot of information on the internet under hydrogen embrittlement. The problem is usually with higher carbon steels that are weldments although forgings and machined parts from billet can also be effected. Hi strength fastners are also included in this. The aircraft industry has very strict policies on plating any fastners. Most AN, NAS etc bolts and nuts are cad plated then baked to relieve the part of hydrogen. When it comes to hot rods, well again there are a lot of opinions. Like it or not, front axles, radius rods etc are subject to embrittlement problems. Now I know that there are thousands of chrome plated suspended cars running up and down the hiway every day with no problems. And there are cars that have for some unknown reason had a suspension failure. It is a judgement call that each builder/owner has to make. In the world of drag racing you no longer have a choice. No chrome plated roll bars, wing stands and other components are allowed. These parts are hi alloy steel, thin walled and usually weldments. Back when it was allowed I told my customers to go out to the local airfield and look under the engine cowlings, then tell me how much chrome did you find? Even after that some would say, yea I know but I really wanted it chromed. So when it left my shop they could disassemble it and go get it chromed. It is your choice but I just don't like it. Building cars for the public puts you in a liability position and there are those that would get a bottom feeder lawyer and come after you. My shop, my rules, no chrome! Hope this gives you at least my insite.

George

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

George I know several old racers that would have nothing to do with chrome plating. That is good enough for me no chrome on my ride.

Francis Blake; George I know several old racers that would have nothing to do with chrome plating. That is good enough for me no chrome on my ride.

Francis,

I know there will be a number of people that will disagree with my feelings toward chrome and I know a lot of cars are chromed. So to head off that I will say this: Talk to your plating shop. If they have no idea what you're talking about then run. If they know but tell you not to worry then be skeptical. If they tell you it is a concern but they don't have baking ovens then they're honest. If they tell you to take the parts home and bake them yourself they're misleading you. Baking has to be done within a specified time from coming out of the plating tank. Tomorrow is worthless. Try to find a shop that does military spec work as they will have the proper oven ability. The biggest concern really if high strength bolts and stressed weldments made from high carbon alloys. Never buy plated coil springs without making sure they have been baked. Most quality spring
manufacturers are going to powder coated springs. Also to note, most coilover shock manufacturers buy their springs from a spring manufacturer. Very few build them in house. There are good springs and there are junk springs and it usually shows up in inital cost. Even in the aircraft bolt world most manufactures have stopped cad plating and have started chemically etching for corrosion protection. Hope this helps you out.

George

for those who want to use chome ... the baking is NOT included in the quote. If you want that done, you have to ask. almost all the failures i have seen, except for springs, have not been because of the plating but because of design or over grinding for that perfect look. JMO

Ron

Ok, those of us who bought our cars a couple of years ago, and are just now getting them done, or still working on them, how do we know if we have some defective radius arms? I do not want to tear up what I just finished...

pete rallis said:
Ok, those of us who bought our cars a couple of years ago, and are just now getting them done, or still working on them, how do we know if we have some defective radius arms? I do not want to tear up what I just finished...

This is the radius rod that has been failing. Speedway is now listing it as a "FRONT" radius rod. They were being used front and rear and the just were not strong enough for the rear. I have not heard of any front one failing. These were made from 7/8" tube. If you have these don't use them on the rear.
91635023_R.jpg

Hi Guys: See there has been a lot of gab over the rods. I got my new spirit style rods
thursday in 1 inch and I went to the back to the fifties gathering here in grants pass over the weekend.
Over 300 miles of hard running and no problems with the radius rods. Thank you Josh and spirit.. PS SPEEDWAY THIS ANI'T OVER YET.
They won't even return my calls now. Bad idea to piss off a German. Anyone need a set of low quality stainless rods 27 inch???? Make me an offer...

Herman the German:lol:

Put them in the support auction for the website. That would be a good gesture.

bobscogin said:
Exactly my point. Can we agree that for a given diameter tube, it's strength increases with wall thickness? Now think of a solid bar as being a tube with a wall thickness of half it's diameter. Let's start with a 1" tube of the thinnest available wall section, and start to increase that wall thickness. Under the assertion that the tube is stronger than a solid bar, then at some point as the wall thickness increases to .5" (1/2 the diameter) the bar becomes weaker. Can anyone explain at what point that occurs, and why? I still don't see it.

Bob
As long as there is a hole down the center,the lines of load are forced around as a longer line vs no hole,load line is acrossed and shorter,so less metal is resisting load.
That very simplafid,but sould get the idea over.

A tube has two walls to bend/break, a solid has only one, just like two pieces if 1/8" strap steel welded together is stronger than a solid piece of 1/4 inch steel strap, now to bend, one has to stretch and the other has to compress, a much harder task than just straight bending/stretching... simple as I can get it. :rofl:

Ted Brown said:
A tube has two walls to bend/break, a solid has only one, just like two pieces if 1/8" strap steel welded together is stronger than a solid piece of 1/4 inch steel strap, now to bend, one has to stretch and the other has to compress, a much harder task than just straight bending/stretching... simple as I can get it. :hoist:

Wow, this myth that tubing is stronger than solid bar just won't die, but I guess nobody believed the calculations! At the risk of repeating myself, ask any chassis fabricator with a tube bender if his bender can bend solid bar of a given diameter more easily than it bends tube. Most any bender such as a JD Square Model 3 will bend up to 2" diameter tube manually. Throw a length of 2" solid bar in it and try to bend that. It ain't gonna happen. Doesn't that tell you guys something about the tube vs. solid bar strength comparison, like maybe the solid bar is stronger??! :scream:

Bob

Ok hot shot take a 3 foot bar say 1/2 inch put it on two bricks and stand on it in the middle.WHAT HAPPENS?IT BENDS!!! Now take a 1/2 piece of tubing same lenght 1/8 wall and stand on it what happens?Doesn't bend as much or doesn't bend at all(depending on your weight).

Ask any race car builder or even the driver, why does a tube axle not twist or break like a solid axle does... Even if I were to use a 2 inch square bar stock for say a receiver hitch, I would rather it had a small hole through the middle, that just adds another wall, and that my friend makes it stronger, no matter what you may think about solid stock...and that's all I have to say on this matter :scream:

I'm sure there is some math out there for this calculation. Not that I know what it is, but I'm sure there is some.:confused:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back