Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stainless bolts

Guy

I want to change the stainless bolts that hold the front spring on the front end not sure who sells this ,
1/2" x 5.5 " dose anyone have an idea who sells them , I do have a fastenal about 20 miles away but not sure if they will have them , one bolt is stripped, noticed spring leafs have moved out of adjustment

I don't know about hardware stores in your area, but there is an Ace Hardware 1.5 miles from me that has everything in terms of bolts & nuts - grade 8s, chrome, stainless, & the franchisee is a car guy!

I don't know about hardware stores in your area, but there is an Ace Hardware 1.5 miles from me that has everything in terms of bolts & nuts - grade 8s, chrome, stainless, & the franchisee is a car guy!
My ace doesn't have much in big hardware

I just looked online saying tractor supply has grade 8 type, I could used them

I guess you know that most stainless fasteners are about a Grade 2 in strength.

I guess you know that most stainless fasteners are about a Grade 2 in strength.

Very true.

Most SST bolts are 70,000# tensile strength.

If you need greater strength, use the ARP stainless bolts.

Grade 5 is 120,000# tensile strength, grade 8 is 150,000# and the ARP's are even greater at 180,000#

But so is the cost, at about $10 per bolt in 1/2" X 5.5" . . . and they come in packs of 5

Hex . . . https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/arp-646-5500

12Point . . . https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/arp-656-5500

For something as important as the spring hanger, I'd bite the bullet for the 5 pack of 12 point ARPs and replace all of the originals, but I'm kinda big on overkill :D

Fastenal is a great source for SST bolts! Usually a store in every medium sized town.

I can't buy from Fastenal any more. The local place requires you to have an account with them and will only sell full boxes of hardware.

I checked with a few aviation buddies but none have anything that long , I ordered from one of the above places

Our Fastenal store (Mooresville, NC) will sell one bolt and even order one bolt! I have done it many times! They do not require an account either. Cash is always good!

I am lucky I guess, I have a well stocked Ace Hardware right here in town and 16 miles away I have a Fastenal. There is lots a stuff we don't have in the big city, Like a place to buy small quantiles of steel plate sheet bar or any type of materials like a "Metals Supermarket" that is 300 mile round trip...

I know its an old thread but since someone else already resurrected it I'll throw my 2c in:
I don't think I can post links yet, but I have had great luck ordering fasteners from BoltDepot's website. They have everything and ship quickly. I needed some unusually long Metric high-grade bolts for some suspension work and couldn't find them in any of my local stores but had them in a couple of days from BD.
I've also found the local auto parts chain stores don't carry much for metric grade 10.9 at all. I have had some luck with the hardware stores but only in very typical sizes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back