Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stainless steel headers

Yea, I can't image what that would cost.

I swapped out the fiberglass wrap that I had put on my baffles on the Shotguns for stainless steel, steel wool. Made a huge difference at road speed. Still sounds about the same when idling around the parking lots.
I wish somebody made some different looking outside exhaust systems for the open fender less cars. I get so tired of all the same exhausts on most the the buckets and other fender less hot rods. Not knocking any ones exhaust, there just are not many choices.
Lee
My thoughts exactly. Here's what I'm thinking; I've found all this on ebay. All stainless steel. Headers with 3 1/2" collectors, 4 1/2" mufflers with 3 1/2" inlet and outlet, 3 1/2" turn outs.
All for about $550. I would Tig them all together then polish out the welds, or put a collector flange between the header and muffler. Would be different and all s/s. What do ya'll think?

Sorry fordforever, didn't mean to jack your thread. I'm having a hard time deciding on these headers. Didn't get any feedback from other post.

Bowtie, I couldn't imagine anyone selling headers by each. Can you post the link you which you are referring? It does sound very inexpensive.

Sanderson made these for me:
P1020425.JPG

1-3/4" tubing, the biggest you can do on a SBC with a standard flange. Each pipe has a 12" baffle, perf tube wrapped in 'glass. Not loud if you take it easy. They were chrome at first, then HPC, then painted black, then painted silver...I bore easily.

Speaking of chrome....sorry, don't mean to change the subject, but, are others finding for chrome in their area. What I mean is price wise and turn around time? In WI to have something chromed it is almost 2 1/2 time the cost of getting a new part already chromed, I understand the chroming process is extensive, environmental regulations etc., not to mention the difference between a genuine part verses a repro. I was actually dealing with one of the sponsors on front and rear radius rods (in chrome) and the deal went from 2 weeks to 6 months and still had not shipped or even received back from the plater for that fact, I finally had to cancel the order and get something different because it was holding up progress.

Speaking of chrome....sorry, don't mean to change the subject, but, are others finding for chrome in their area. What I mean is price wise and turn around time? In WI to have something chromed it is almost 2 1/2 time the cost of getting a new part already chromed, I understand the chroming process is extensive, environmental regulations etc., not to mention the difference between a genuine part verses a repro. I was actually dealing with one of the sponsors on front and rear radius rods (in chrome) and the deal went from 2 weeks to 6 months and still had not shipped or even received back from the plater for that fact, I finally had to cancel the order and get something different because it was holding up progress.
I bought a little fiat spider a few years ago and restored it just as a driver. I went to get the simple tube bumpers re chromed and they wanted more to chrome one bumper than I paid for the car... The bumpers look better than new now, in black!

I guess that I'm rather fortunate because there is a motor cycle repair shop about 2 1/2 miles from my house. They have a lady that comes every other week to pick up parts for a chrome shop over near Melbourne, Florida which is about 65 miles from my house. I call her when I need something chromed and she tells me what day she'll be there. She then calls me when she is 15 minutes away from the bike shop. I meet her there and give her the part or parts and she brings them back in two weeks with the same 15 minute call. I might add that the work is expertly done too.

Jim

I guess that I'm rather fortunate because there is a motor cycle repair shop about 2 1/2 miles from my house. They have a lady that comes every other week to pick up parts for a chrome shop over near Melbourne, Florida which is about 65 miles from my house. I call her when I need something chromed and she tells me what day she'll be there. She then calls me when she is 15 minutes away from the bike shop. I meet her there and give her the part or parts and she brings them back in two weeks with the same 15 minute call. I might add that the work is expertly done too.

Jim
Wow, that is service. Do you by chance know the name of the chrome shop? Are prices reasonable?

Wow, that is service. Do you by chance know the name of the chrome shop? Are prices reasonable?
Yes, it is Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, Florida. Just put that in on line and you can get contact info. I found their chroming to be excellent, at least on my parts and the price was very reasonable.

Jim

Thanks much! I'll check them out
Yes, it is Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, Florida. Just put that in on line and you can get contact info. I found their chroming to be excellent, at least on my parts and the price was very reasonable.

Jim

Made these from a few bends and some straight.

G

PS I
Has the image hosting gone???. Just wonder as I had loads of pics on this site.

Has anyone bought any of the s/s headers off of ebay? They seemed really cheap like $225 range? something on there made me Question if this was each. any feedback appreciated

1 guy on ntba facebook site bought a set , said they appeared well made , he hasn't fired the car yet. I've been looking at them , they don't offer a collecter/muffler/extension. One saye 3.375 od collecter , one 3.4". I don't know if the 3.5" speedway extensions would work. If you had to have something custom made , that could get expensive. From what I've been able to gather ,they turn straw yellow w/heat , but can be buffed out. Hell of a deal if you can find an extension/muffler to fit. They are 16 ga. , tig welded & a 3/8" flange.
dave

Thought I would update this thread with first hand GOOD & BAD experience. I ordered a set of the ebay stainless headers ($198.88 for my tbucket.
Received them promptly and undamaged. Opened box and was immediately disappointed. Headers had welds on 3 of the 8 pipes in the downward part of the pipes where they had been cut and butt-welded. All 3 were on drivers side. Passenger side had one piece tubes from flange to collector. If all the pipes had had welds, it would have been better as they would have looked like a set of custom built. Appears that the tubes would not align to go into collector and were cut to fit and re-welded. These welds were messy. Flange (inside) and collector welds were average in appearance with tack welds visible on the outside of flange. There were some errant welder tracks around collector. Probably could polish out most.
Now the good news. Contacted seller and they requested pictures. Sent them and received Return Authorization the next day along with prepaid shipping label. Sent them back and received a FULL refund within 24 hrs of their receipt of headers. FYI, there are numerous sellers with these but all are the same company in CA.

For the price, probably a good deal for someone with less OCD about the appearance than me. Will now pay twice as much for a set from Speedway. BTW, the collector is 3.5" O.D. and speedway extensions will work.

Thought I would update this thread with first hand GOOD & BAD experience. I ordered a set of the ebay stainless headers ($198.88 for my tbucket.
Received them promptly and undamaged. Opened box and was immediately disappointed. Headers had welds on 3 of the 8 pipes in the downward part of the pipes where they had been cut and butt-welded. All 3 were on drivers side. Passenger side had one piece tubes from flange to collector. If all the pipes had had welds, it would have been better as they would have looked like a set of custom built. Appears that the tubes would not align to go into collector and were cut to fit and re-welded. These welds were messy. Flange (inside) and collector welds were average in appearance with tack welds visible on the outside of flange. There were some errant welder tracks around collector. Probably could polish out most.
Now the good news. Contacted seller and they requested pictures. Sent them and received Return Authorization the next day along with prepaid shipping label. Sent them back and received a FULL refund within 24 hrs of their receipt of headers. FYI, there are numerous sellers with these but all are the same company in CA.

For the price, probably a good deal for someone with less OCD about the appearance than me. Will now pay twice as much for a set from Speedway. BTW, the collector is 3.5" O.D. and speedway extensions will work.
I would not have liked that either. At least they refunded your money. Still wasted your time. I have had similar experience with eBay stuff. Some good, some not so much...

Thanks Mountainman, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Sorry that happened to you. I am also to OCD for that. I am a welding instructor and a welding inspector and that just would not fly.
I will be ordering from Speedway now also, only thing is they don't sell stainless turnouts. I still might get those and the mufflers off of ebay.

Thanks Mountainman, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Sorry that happened to you. I am also to OCD for that. I am a welding instructor and a welding inspector and that just would not fly.
I will be ordering from Speedway now also, only thing is they don't sell stainless turnouts. I still might get those and the mufflers off of ebay.

No, you would not have been pleased. At best, a C- grade on welding. :giggle:

I know this is an old post, I am looking for a set of Stainless roadster headers, Speedway sold them in the past but no longer. I found a place in Arkansas, Southwest Speed, that has them, part #440-2338 for $369.99, Has anyone done business with them ? They have been around for a lot of years,

Yes, I called them, They have the classic, but no longer have SS Roadster headers, I had a set on my first T and liked them a lot, I was just trying to see if anyone has done business with Southwest Speed in Fort Smith, They are also on E Bay but the price is around $450.00

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back