Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starting on the rebuild.

tfeverfred

Well, I am getting payment for my car very soon and I am going to start the tear down today. I'm only going to take off the front suspension at this time because next week she'll get hauled across the street to a mechanic frined of mine. He has agreed to let me use a space in his shop and the move will be a little easier if she doesn't have that crumpled metal hanging off in front.

For a while, I thought I'd need a new frame and had made steps to get one. In fact, I was going to go with a whole new chassis. That feel through for reasons I won't get into. Friday afternoon, I looked at my frame a little closer. An eye and mind that is not grieving seems to see and think straight. I think I can save the frame. It appears that the wire wheels, and other suspension pieces took the impact and absorbed most of the shock. If you look at this pic you'll see that the spring perch is bent on the drivers side where the axle hit it. This pushed in the cross bar. Looking at it yestarday, the cross bar doesn't appear to be out of angle and the crossbar is pushed in at a max of maybe 1/4" right in the middle.

crash016.jpg

Now that my mind is a little clearer and my thinking cap is on tight, I think I can bend the perch back to shape and possibly the cross bar. I'm gonna give it a shot when I get her moved.

Cost wise, not having to replace the frame will save a bunch of cash. Even though I'm getting what is more than enough to fix her, I don't wanna go spending money like I won the lotto. I'm a smple person and Miss Behavin' was a simple car. Mabe that's why I loved her so much. She was a driver and the 6,342 miles I put on her in a span of 4 months is a testament to that. I'd like to go with a dropped "I" beam and may give up the few extra bucks to do so, but that would be my only "treat" during the rebuild. Damn, I just LOVE this frontend! RPM sent me a set of headlight brackets that would put my headlights down low like the pic, but I'd need to figure out a way to use friction shocks. I think regular shocks and the brackets to use them would be a little too much and distract from the "I" beam axle. Again, I like a simple look.

sweet_t-1.jpg

Somebody talk me out of it! Tube axles are cool too. Right!?:confused:

She won't get extra chrome or anything like that. Well, I'll try and talk myself out of it at least.:crap: If I go with the "I" beam, it would get painnted or powder coated lik before. Either way, she's gonna end up what she was always intended to be. Just a freakin' hot rod.

I'll post pics of the rebuild when it hits full stride.

Phew, He's back :hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

I hope you can pull that one off Fred thats such a cool car.Ive liked it since i first saw it.Sitting that low i dont know about putting your 7 foot body into it:razz:.LOL

:razz: tube axles are round smooth plain and boring even when chromes a drilled I beam axles have history sexyness old skool look to it and aludes to cooolness just look how awesome one looks on that photo of the ride you posted fred , why a tube axle is like penny candy compared to an i beam is like fresh maple candy from Vt lmao :cool:

Out with the smashed.

Okay, first a reminder of what was. Courtesy of Officer ******* of the Houston Police Department.

teardown001.jpg

The wire wheels and tires (what was left of them) were the first to come off. I noticed that my first thoughts on the frame may have been wrong. It was starting to look like only the spring perch was bent and not that much.

teardown002.jpg

I think a little heat and a hammer may fix it or I could replace it.

teardown015.jpg

So, I began removing the spring. 3 out of 4 leaves survived. The bottom leaf is toast.

teardown006.jpg

Next up were the friction shocks. The clevises for the radius rods were ripped off in the impact, so the friction shocks were all that was left holding the axle in place. These arms were given to me by Rick. It sucked to see them mangled.

teardown010.jpg

Here's the front suspension assembly removed.

teardown003.jpg

I then set about removing what I could save. Spindles and king pins seemed to be okay, but the left steering arm was snapped in half. It's what tore out a chunk of sheet metal from the cop car. I'm saving that chunk of metal and will make a shadow box for it.;)

teardown011.jpg

The Wilwood brake setup came out okay, except for a bleeder fitting snapped of one of the calipers and the rotors were bent a little. I didn't save the rotors.

teardown007.jpg

To my great surprise, the drag link, radius rods and rod ends survived. Scratched up, but NOT bent! The same can not be said of the clevises. They were snapped clean off. It's beginning to look like I won't need to replace the whole front end! Which frees up capitol for an "I" beam.;)

teardown004.jpg

The spring mounts came out okay too! Unfortunatly, the tie rod took a beating. It was bent in two different spots. The heims were okay, so I saved them. I'll just replace the tie rod. I'd rather not take chances with trying to get the bends out.

teardown005.jpg

So, here she is. Her front all naked and everyone staring.:eek: I'll wait til I get her to my friends place before really tearing into her. Today, I just wanted to know what I could save off the front and see if it would let me get that dropped axle setup. I think I may have made it. I'll crunch numbers later.

captainjunk said:
:razz: tube axles are round smooth plain and boring even when chromes a drilled I beam axles have history sexyness old skool look to it and aludes to cooolness just look how awesome one looks on that photo of the ride you posted fred , why a tube axle is like penny candy compared to an i beam is like fresh maple candy from Vt lmao :cool:

Trust me, I'm gonna try for the maple candys.;)

You get her tore down and find out if the frame is square. You will be ready to rock and roll brother. Should be back on the road in no time. That front birch I would just chuck and get another one - we are not looking at major bucks for one, and that is the part that makes it all work. My humble mumblings. :eek:

Hi Fred,

Glad to see lots of stuff from the old car can be saved! I'm especially surprised the front radius rods survived. It's interesting to see how some of the parts absorbed most of the impact. Makes you think about how we can set these front ends up just in case something like this happens.

I have an idea I want to share, but please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not being critical, I'm just concerned for your safety. ;)

Get your hands on a cheap jewelers loop. You can buy them at places like Ace hardware or online, and take a real close look under a super bright light at those Hiems and any rod ends you're thinking of saving/re-using. Make super duper, doubly sure they're OK. You might even have a look at some of the welds or any other parts you might be suspicious about. It's a tool I use all the time.

Other than that, Carry On! I can't wait to see the progress on this build thread!

Take care,

David

Duke said:
You get her tore down and find out if the frame is square. You will be ready to rock and roll brother. Should be back on the road in no time. That front birch I would just chuck and get another one - we are not looking at major bucks for one, and that is the part that makes it all work. My humble mumblings. :eek:

Thanks, Duke. Yea, she should go back together quick. Once I get her all nekid, 'll check out the frame to make sure she's square. If I have to get a new chassis, that will keep me from going with the "I"beam, but she'll be safe and that's what counts.

As for your mumblings, keep 'em coming. I'm still new at this and opinions and advice are always welcome.

Another two cents worth.. hehe I doubt that the frame would be bent much if any, if so, they are pretty easy to fix, a chain for corner to corner, twist it with a short piece of tube or pipe, (make a tight loop with a bolt somewhere in the middle) turn till things are back to square one.. I had this happen to me once, just replaced the whole front 2 1/2" OD round tube X member and spring mount. just cut it off about an inch out from the frame and glue it back together, wire or tig... good as new, remember the weld is always the strongest spot, a good weld that is.. Yes check all the heim joints for any side play, if any, get new... I had thought about an I beam axle once, but the bends are soooo close to the spindles, that really hurts when trying to get Her to turn real sharp (tires hit radius rods)... So I make all my axles 54 inches, boss to boss, she turns in a 22 or 27 ft circle, CRS I will have to ck it again. but real tight. Good Luck, you will be up and running soon, I know you will.

Thanks for the advice, Rex. As always, safety is a concern. I don't want my enthusiasm to get in the way of safe thinking. I'm kinda back at square one and I'll try and attack this rebuild like I did the initial build. One step at a time and check everything TWICE. Hiems are cheaper than a tombstone.:eek:

Rick said:
I hope you can pull that one off Fred thats such a cool car.Ive liked it since i first saw it.Sitting that low i dont know about putting your 7 foot body into it:razz:.LOL

Man, there's no way I could do that car. I just digg the look of the frontend. That pic is has been the background pic on my computer and I have studied it from every angle. It's a master piece.

Fred

Glad to see some progress.:lol:

Are you going to reuse those spindles? If so, I would find a machine shop that does magnaflux crack inspection and have them checked. Just to be safe.

Also, those look like Chevy spindles. I would make sure that you can get an I-beam axle that they will fit before your plans get too far along. Since your brakes are made for those spindles, an I-beam may wind up costing more than you thought. That is if you had to buy more spindles and brake brackets.

Good luck with the rebuild. Hope you can get it done for summer.

Mike

Hotrod46 said:
Fred

Glad to see some progress.:welcome:

Are you going to reuse those spindles? If so, I would find a machine shop that does magnaflux crack inspection and have them checked. Just to be safe.

Also, those look like Chevy spindles. I would make sure that you can get an I-beam axle that they will fit before your plans get too far along. Since your brakes are made for those spindles, an I-beam may wind up costing more than you thought. That is if you had to buy more spindles and brake brackets.

Good luck with the rebuild. Hope you can get it done for summer.

Mike

Those spindles are Totals and I can't use them. The brake kit I am using is for early Ford spindles. Totals will take a Ford hub, but the caliper brakets for the brake kit I;m going to use won't bolt to them. Totals bolt pattern is different. So, I'm getting early Ford spindles.

glad to see you back on it Fred.good luck with the rebuild i hope everything goes smooth for ya you deserve it man.

Today, I removed the radiator. Sorry, no pics, but I'll get some tomorrow afternon. With the radiator off, it doesn't look that bad. Well, except the engine and tranny are about 8" forward.:eek: But otherthan that she's looking promising. With all the bent stuff off, I'm beginning to remember how quick the front went together. Now all I need is the city to get that dang check to me this week, so I can get the parts coming.

Everybody, cross yer fingers on the frame not being tweaked! I'll have the body off this weekend and that will be the tale of the tape.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back