Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Arm clearance

TrueBlue

Hey folks..Just got in some upper steering arms from Ron, and of course another great product from him. But as I kinda eyeball the setup before I start bolting stuff up tomorrow, It looks like my speedway calipers may have some clearance issues with the arms. Is modifying the caliper common when using the flat steering arms like these?arms2.pngarms2.png

Attachments

• arms.png
    arms.png
    765 KB · Views: 25
It does happen, esp. when you mix components from different sources, which I did too. The calipers have enough meat in them for some minor clearancing. Just don't go wild with the grinder.

Great,,thanks Spanky! I'm assuming a spacer will have to go on the backside of the spindle??
It does happen, esp. when you mix components from different sources, which I did too. The calipers have enough meat in them for some minor clearancing. Just don't go wild with the grinder.

I was wondering the same thing. Don't the bolt to the lower pair of bolts????

He's offering it up to the lower pair of bolts but the caliper is obviously not allowing it to butt right up. A bit of grinding on the corner of the steering arm will fox that.

update....got them installed today. Drag link runs a little close to my grill now. 2 options,,move grill/radiator back and inch or so. Or 2,,,cut an inch or so off the steering arms, and re-drill the holes an inch back. Would that option throw something off geometry wise?? I feel like it shouldn't effect anything as the drag link will still be the same length. Anyone???

If you just drill that part, your steering will be a lot quicker. That is, more movement at the front wheel for the same movement of the steering wheel. You can only give it a try and see. Some quick steering box/rack can take a bit of getting used too.
I drove a race Mini Cooper that had a quick steering set up years ago and it took me over 10 miles to be able to keep it in a straight line. Had to relearn my driving style.

You could drill the hole and NOT cut off the end, so if its not to your liking you can return the drag link to the original place. Then either fill the new hole or drill some more to look like its been lightened (Be careful you do not compromise the strength or integrity of the part.)

Sorry. Yes it will, unless you shorten the steering box arm as well.
QUOTE:
as the drag link will still be the same length. Anyone??? (drag link NOT tie rod)

The arm from the steering box pivot to the hole (drop arm in UK) in it remains the same length. The drag link is the same length etc, but you have reduced the length of the steering arm so its a mathematical certainty the ratio will increase.

I think a MR Garlits found this out when he went to rear engine dragsters and kept crashing them

Last edited:
So, is it the drag link or the tie rod is too close to the radiator? I must assume it's the tie rod.

I don't know if it would quicken the steering since you're not shortening the drag link arm.

But it would make the two tie rod connections work a bit harder with less leverage from their pivot point.

Presentation1.jpg

Last edited:
G'Day TB,
Instead of redrilling the steering arms, can you panel beat the side of the grille to make more clearance for the steering?
Regards,

So, is it the drag link or the tie rod is too close to the radiator? I must assume it's the tie rod.

I don't know if it would quicken the steering since you're not shortening the drag link arm.

But it would make the two tie rod connections work a bit harder with less leverage from their pivot point.

View attachment 19906
yes,,sorry. Brain fart..the tie rod. Thank you
for the help!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back