Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering boxes

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Still pondering my steering concerns. So...what box are any of you running and, how many turns, lock to lock? Mine ( I think) is a 60's chevy and takes 4 turns lock to lock. Now, we got a lot of curvy roads here and a person can get pretty tired cranking the wheel through the hills and such. I have a vertical column and kinda like the look so I don't want to change that. ( I digress !) Sorry, what and how many turns? Thanks!

I've a Vega box in a cross steer set up with proper ackerman. It takes four turns lock to lock. It steers very easily, and trouble free. My steering wheel sits at a 22 1/2 degree angle and is VERY comfortable to drive. I've taken my hands off the wheel at freeway speeds and the car tracks perfectly. I might also add that I sit down inside my car at a very comfortable angle, much like a factory ride.

Jim

PS my wheel bace is 109".

Only driven it about 20 miles, has a 13 inch wheel, comfortable and fun, BUT a lot of steering wheel input. 4 turns...ugh! Shades of 1923! Ha-ha! And yeah, got a necker knob, still in the box.

Only driven it about 20 miles, has a 13 inch wheel, comfortable and fun, BUT a lot of steering wheel input. 4 turns...ugh! Shades of 1923! Ha-ha! And yeah, got a necker knob, still in the box.

I, too. have a 13" wheel and it steers effortlessly. No necker knob or power steering. I also have 155/80x15 tires in front.

Jim

Right now I have a '66 Volkwagen van box ,shaft, mount and pitman for sale on E bay for 165. These
were used for many years in T buckets , also it will tilt slightly for good angle then tighten it down .

Butch27, how many turns lock to lock? Most boxes seem to be 4 turns or more. Undesirable. The volks? Bitte?

What's this have to do with your spelling gaffe and my making light of it ????

Sorry, I didn't notice my error nor your humor. I thought that you were saying something about the length of my wheelbase because it is longer than most T's. Thanks for pointing out my error as I try to always spell correctly and have correct punctuation and capitalization. My poor English teacher Mom is probably turning over in here grave. LOL

Jim

Sorry, I didn't notice my error nor your humor. I thought that you were saying something about the length of my wheelbase because it is longer than most T's. Thanks for pointing out my error as I try to always spell correctly and have correct punctuation and capitalization. My poor English teacher Mom is probably turning over in here grave. LOL

Jim
I believe that might be "in her grave" ;)

Snicker ....both my grandmother and my mother were teachers , spelling wasn't encouraged or rewarded , it was EXPECTED. !!!!

Mine has a Vega box and a little over 4 turns lock to lock. That's only 2 turns from straight to full turn. Very seldom do I ever have to go lock to lock. It's my weekend burner not a daily driver so it isn't something I think about.

Gregg, mine also has 4 turns and I just don't like the idea of settling for steering that's really so much "worse" than newer cars. Have watched some car races on the "telly" and even though the cars are light, fast and "small" they have very responsive steering. Look...I don't KNOW, but, I just wonder why these T's seem to use slow boxes. As far as being "twitchy", that's a function of the alignment, setup, and not the box, right? If one has to keep making corrections, isn't that a front end issue? Don't have to do that in my daily driver. Just looking to improve this thing.

I suppose it depends on how you're going to use your T....if you're going to use iT as a driver/ cruiser , driving at highway speeds on less than perfect roads , tight / quick steering will plain wear you out ..if you want quick steering for corner carving , well , these cars are kinda oversize , over powered go carts and handle accordingly , probably best to pick a different platform...

Skinny Mike -- I'll check it out.This is the box from a V. W. van NOT the beetle
Tried to load pic but said too large It's on e bay ...$165. WITH pitman and mount

Butch...curious as to the number of turns. Everybody, sorry I'm not clearer about my concerns. Not wanting a race car, just mentioned because of the statements I've read about T's being short, light,etc, as to why the s l o w steering. WHY T's but not OEM's? Or racers? I want to drive in the curves as well as dead straight roads. Don't wanna endlessly be crankin' on that wheel. Nice easy driving, no racing, CRUZIN! My knees are under my chin, no elbow room, stiff ride, windy (yeah). Want some part of this to be more leasurly. Clear as unchanged beater oil huh! Ah, well.

Not wanting a race car, just mentioned because of the statements I've read about T's being short, light,etc, as to why the s l o w steering. WHY T's but not OEM's? Or racers?

Well . . . if you think a bout it, most T-buckets use OEM (slow) steering boxes!:confused::thumbsdown::geek: So . . . your T should be no slower steering that a stock Vega/Corvair/Mustang.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back