Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering boxes

Thank you 2old2fast. Thank you AusBucket. You both answered my question. Thank you. To respond to the foto questions, with a question. If I asked for carb suggestion that flowed more than my 650 cfm....would I be asked for foto's of my carb? My manifold, my fuel lines or pump? BTW..I don't know how much. Doesn't matter right now. AND yes I have driven the POS and need and want to fix the many issues. And I DO appreciate the help given in answer to my many questions. I like this forum. Thank you!

SM--we just like pictures of peoples rides and what they are up to with them. If you do not wish to share pictures that might help us with a problem you have with it and for us to carefully way what we see before we answer, Then I ask you why not? Some people are novices and are not mechanically inclined and a picture is worth a thousand words when something isn't working correctly. I have never seen 2 of these alike and some are just down right UN-safe to be on the highway. Safety first--dependability/comfort second--looks last. Some are Show quality and some are beaters. I never try to say bad things about anyone's builds unless they are unsafe or a DONK MOBILE as all are not rich and most are just wanting to have fun before they die. YES you can build one of these cars for less than $3000.00 but you have to know what you are doing and have an imagination as well as not to want to splurge on the looks department. And I also never try to discourage anyone from building one either as they are fun and makes a lot of people smile, not just the owners.

So keep building and post what you like and we all will try to help as best we can. No hard feelings I hope as I'm just old and cranky at times and just don't understand somethings.

T..Hey, I get what you're saying. 100%. My reply was to those requests that weren't relevant to my question. I love seeing the pics and, am envious of some of them (most).

T..Hey, I get what you're saying. 100%. My reply was to those requests that weren't relevant to my question. I love seeing the pics and, am envious of some of them (most).
And there's where the problem is, you're asking for advice for a problem BUT you're only wiling to share information that YOU see as relevant. Ever stop to think that maybe there's something you don't know that someone might see in a picture that would be very relevant to your problem ...???

Here's a problem--With the steering dampener on the front you are limited to the cross travel of the dampener.
Check it out I'm mounted to the tie rod and that can't move any further.

This is always helpful Skinny Mike!!!

You still have our ear!

Hey Skinny, we are all trying to help. Even if it doesn't explain everything, it would make us feel more helpful if you could post a few pics.

Can we dial it back a couple of notches, we are all on the same page, or trying to be on the same page and help.

Maybe this will help with photos. Let me know if you have any questions, would love to help!!!

Post a Photo From an iPhone/iPad

Photos Posting Guide with Pictures

Photo Software and Resizing

Ya know...I do pretty good at metal work, suspensions, brakes and steering stuff. I've built Pro-street and drag chassis's, Hot rods and suspensions...4x4's etc. I've been around...
I've helped a good number of people over the years and really enjoy helping.

But I've never had so much resistance to what I think are sensible and non-invasive requests in my life, like I'm seeing in this thread.

I think I'm just gonna bow out of this one.

Hope you find what you are looking for Mike. Sorry I wasn't much help...

So, why no pics? If you look at my car it was all hand built by me (30 days)-Frame/paint/upholstery and all built to be safe and dependable. Driven in snow a foot deep with an inch of ice on top and the temperature was 19* and a wind chill of minus 0* . Use to drive every where but no longer do for health reasons(insane maybe) It is rusting and no longer shines as much and only one broken bolt on a rear radius rod since 2009 when I finished it. Nothing perfect or fancy for me as I tell people I'm just a rough carpenter, not a finish carpenter... Never be ashamed of anything you do as I see it, I would rather try and fail than to have never tried at all. Regrets will eat you alive later in life. Money/time is the root of all failures in this (profession) hobby. Skills also play a factor. You just have to decide what your wants/needs are. If it weren't for the beaters, no one would have a show car.

And as far as showing pics that have nothing to with the question, just say it is not relevant. JMTCW
Would love to see your car pics. No judgement.

Went back an d re-read the question--you will not find any Factory steering box with less than 3 1/2 turns LTL. Best choice is to go with Corvair (traditional steer)/Vega box or the Mustang type used on the '27 Roadsters with cross steer. Frame height will determine that. Or half rack and pinion steering that could be used either way with a little ingenuity.

And you can look up on here(Forum) how to post pics and resize if you need help.

Last edited:
It is actually out of a '95 Chevy truck. I tried a road draft tube at first, but it was blowing oil out of the valve covers so I now have a PCV setup.

PCV.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back