Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering drift

Kurt64

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I just bought a built T Bucket about a month ago and I am trying to get all the bugs worked out. The final major issue I'm having is steering drift...it is not easy to keep the car in a straight line even at a constant throttle position. Is this the nature of the machine or should I be looking for a problem? Thanks in advance.

It can be caused by a number of things. Check the usual alignment items, especially the 'toe' in or out. Make sure the steering box is tight with no slop/excessive play. Also, tires can make a difference. Are you running radials on the front?

DEFINATELY check the caster!

Jim

Before changing the toe, check the wheel bearing, making sure the they are not loose. Next, I would check the tire pressure. T's do not require the higher inflation required in a full wt auto. You can go either direction, up or down and see how it affects the steering. I do not like to have a hard tire up front on mine. Of course, my top speed is usually 55 mph.

Pictures...so we can see what you are having problems with. it could be a geometry thing.

I'm still not permitted to post pics yet, but I've checked the steering box, the toe (tried to in and out), tire pressure (both hard and soft), wheel bearings, but I have not checked the caster. What is the easiest method?

Check the toe of each tire referenced to the centerline of the car. You can probably use the center of the front crossmember for this. The toe must be the same for both tires.

Just checking the toe tire-to-tire isn't enough; both tire could be pointed to the left/right and you wouldn't know it, and the car will drift.

Let us know what you find.

Potvin Guy,
That's a good idea to check toe in/ out from the center line of the car. It's hard to check from tire to tire;
front and back of the tire. I'll have to figure the best way to do that.
Wandering T's are a way of life for some of us! I've been chasing that problem for a few years.

Unless you lock the steering in the ( where the car goes straight ahead ) position (and I don't know how you'd do that accurately) measuring toe off the center of the car is pointless ....,I'm listening as to how / why measuring each wheel independently makes any sense ????

There is a procedure called the string system where you make a string on jackstands around the car in a rectangle. Then measure from the string to all 4 wheels to set up. I think a lot of formula cars are done that way. Might google it for more info.

Check the caster. Before reworking the 32 it would drift at slow speeds. We replaced an axle and added adjustable spring perches allowing us to increase the caster. Drives like a dream now tracks straight.

Are the king pins tight? What about the front spring setup, is it a transversed setup? If so, is it setup correct? Just thinking of things to check. Does it just wander or does it get squirrely when you hit a bump? Does it follow grooves in the road? Do you feel any rattling or vibration in the steering wheel? I’m am posing the questions to help determine if something is loose or variable in the front end verses an alignment issue.

That's a lot of questions to answer. Have you ever watched one of those old time movies where the camera is on the driver and he is constantly moving the steering wheel left or right to keep the car straight? Someone else on this forum described it that way some time ago. In our modern cars you don't have to do that much. The only thing on my T that I haven't changed yet are the tires.
I've tried the string thing some time ago. It's a lot of work and time to set it up and do the measuring. What I did fine on my T when i did that was the wheel base center distance was 1" different side-to-side. That was an easy fix. Didn't make much difference. It's not bad but near perfect would be much better.

I have well over 10 posts but some didn't counted for some reason.
Its not following groves in the road and all parts have been checked and rechecked. It drifts at all speeds and on all road conditions and surfaces. Rear tires are Mickey Thompson 29x15.5-15LT. Right now I'm at a loss but I would like to check the cast ...camber isn't adjustable so that will be a last effort. I'm hoping I can find a simpler solution .

Angle finder is what I used. Something like this. Angle of kingpins is what you are looking for. I set mine at 7 degrees.
038987110061.jpg

I will have to pick one up this week.
Here is what just found...I finally had some help and was able to measure the distance from the front spindle to the center line of the rear axle. The passenger side wheel base is nearly 3/8" shorter than the drivers side. Would that be contributing factor?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back