Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

stretch or not to stretch?

smokeyco75

Hi folks. I have been checking out other threads here on the subject and most fellas looking at a stretched body are a bit larger than me. I am 5'-10" and 225 pounds. I am on the fence about wether I should use a standard body or not. I sat in meangreans track roadster which has a 6 inch stretch and I had more than enough room even with his three pedals. (Stick shift) I am kinda figuring ill be fine with a standard body. My wife is only 5'-6" so I know legroom won't be an issue for her. I am going to the Daytona Turkey Rod Run and hope there are some bodies there for me to try on. I have already decided I will buy it from Ron just not sure which one. Opinions?

Overall height is kind of misleading , if you're long legged & short bodied you'll have issues w/leg room , if you're the opposite , you'll "sit high" in the body , at 6'1" I have no trouble w/ 3 pedals , but I'm short legged ....
dave

Well I am average proportions but broad shouldered. Pants are 32 inch inseam. Im thinking a standard body will be just fine.

Size does matter! go with the stretched body, better to have more room than you need, than not enough.:)

I know to many it doesn't matter , but to me , the stretched bodies just don't have "look" of a "T" . It's just a "thing" I don't like ... 'course I'm old so...
dave;)

I sat in a standard body. No good! I have a Ron Pope 10 inch stretch. Whole lot better, for sure. The stretch is in cowl and like 2old2fast said about the look of a "T" is kinda right. It looks more like the Chevrolet from the 20's to me. But, whatever, I sure wouldn't want a standard body. I don't fit. 6ft 260lbs.
My .02

I did a 27T just for the leg room. Now none of these T's look like an original so it really doesn't matter if it's stretched. Get what you want. If ya want some leg room get a stretch 23 body. Or, get a 27 body with that nice curved back end. Guys seem to like nice curved back ends. Don't we??

I really wish i would have bought the stretched body for mine. After adding the pedals and stuff i sure could use it !

Well there are some great points here that's for sure. Hopefully there will be a couple of bodies at the turkey run in Daytona for me to try out to make my final decision. The stretch body does give me more room for flames come paint time lol.

I agree. Stretched bodies look weird . Why not stretch a few inches in the door area and a few more just behind it??

Mine is a Spirit stretched body and it's pretty well proportioned I think. They spread the 5" stretch over the entire length (cowl, door, back) so you don't notice it quite as much.

I stretched my own best thing is get a longer body. You don't realize how little room in these until built and want to go for a longer ride with 2 people.

I agree with Ron about the steering sticking out, but part of what I like is the windshield to firewall area. I guess it's a small price to pay to drive with your arms extended. Kind of like an Indy car! John

Mine is a Spirit stretched body and it's pretty well proportioned I think. They spread the 5" stretch over the entire length (cowl, door, back) so you don't notice it quite as much.

How much was that body with no floor Bob? I looked on Spirits site and could only find a price complete with door and insert which I do not want.

Mine is a 1917 body and I really could use the extra length in the cockpit area. I guess it would be different in a '25 body.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back