Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stuck Brakes

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I posted this in the end of a thread under Frames and Chassiss, but will probably get better response putting it here, where it should be.
I acquired a bucket T yesterday which has vintage drum brakes on the front. Both wheels are stuck. One or both have leaking brake cylinders. The brakes do not have the slot for backing the adjusters off. It does have two bolt heads that seem to have coil springs between the head and the backing plate. How can I back the shoes off?
I will do a search while I am waiting on the real experts to respond.

Thanks,
railroad

I found a pic of the backing plate and it seems the bolts are connected to cams that adj the shoes. I hope they rotate both directions. I am getting closer to having it driveable.

thanks,
railroad

Sound like you have old Ford brakes. I have them on the rear. I sand blasted them and soaked them in Kriol for awhile then broke them lose with an 11/16" wrench a little at a time. Them sprayed White Lithium grease on them.

Thanks Butch, I got the tire off and found an adapter on the lugs to match the pattern on the wheels. I turned the adjusting bolts on the backing plate and got the drum to turn. I got the tire fixed, valve stem, and bought a new battery and some brake clean.
So far things seem to be falling in place well. I still have to get the T off the trailer and will need the ramps to be level so the T will not drag while backing, or rolling off. I hope to get it in the garage where I can work under a fan. It is hot and humid here in Alabama now. I'll try to take some pics, as I am very excited about getting the T running. I had passed on buying it a couple of months ago, but it came back and I worked on the price a good bit too.

thanks,
railroad

If your backing plates have those two hex heads on springs at the top plus two more adjusting nuts at the bottom, those are 39-41 style early Ford. If they only have the two at the top and NO adjusting nuts at the bottom they are 46-48 Ford. NAPA still carries all the brake parts for these, however the 39-41 wheel cylinders are no longer available anywhere, so everyone uses the 42-48 wheel cylinders which are a direct interchange.

Just thought that info might help you when rebuilding time comes around.

Don

Here are a set of what most people refer to as "40 Ford" brakes.......

40brakes.jpg

And these backing plates are from a 46-48 Ford. For some reason Ford figured out you didn't need to adjust the bottom of the shoes as you did on the early ones.

48backingplates.jpg

It's hot and humid here to it is 70 right now they are talking 66 for a high tomorrow.:)
You got a new toy and no pics.

You call THAT hot and humid? :):lol: It has been 98 in my shop for God knows how long now, and the humidity is way up there. What I would give for a few 70 degree days. This has been an exceptionally hot Summer.

Don

From your information, Donsrod, it looks like I have 46-48 brakes. Boy I sure like those drilled backing plates. I HAVE TO finish flooring a utility trailer and hope to pull the drums tomorrow. I hope I can get by with honing the brake cylinders and putting in new cups. If the shoes are soaked and I cannot find some in stock, I will wash with carb cleaner until parts are available. I have to get this thing road worthy.
The engine is a 302 Ford and was missing and chugging after it started. It would not take throttle. The accel pump is stuck and both float levels in the Holley carb were way too high. I got the float levels set, but will have to pull the carb to get to the accel pump. The plugs are gas fouled and will need a new set.
It is easy to work on everything is at hand.
Hey, Putz the humidity was better today and the temp stayed at 85 and below.

I knocked out the trailer floor and pulled the T in the dry. It rained last night and I had to vacuum a little water from the floor. I pulled the leaking drum and headed to NAPA with a hand full of parts. The only think they had in stock was some brake cleaner. He ordered the wheel cylinder kits and said he could have the shoes relined when I got ready. I was going to just buy some cups, but he only had the 1" , no 1 3/8" cups in stock. I ordered me some motor mount donuts in two sizes. The motor is listing a little too much. I went through both front wheel cylinders. Man, they were cruddy. The cups still looked good. I hones the cylinders, cleaned everything up sanded the shoes and drums and put it all back. Man the brake fluid looked like half water in the good brake. I think I will purge them regular to keep clean fluid in the cylinders. It looks like the previous owner put the car up wet, very wet. The engine now sports a set of new plugs and the accel pump is working. I didn't have anyone to help me bleed the brakes and they would not gravity bleed. I guess I had better check the back brakes. It looks like a Chebby rear axle. I have a low amp drain on the battery when the key is off. If I can find my little skinny nephew, I can put him under the dash to start pulling fuses. It's almost ready to make a trip down the road. Oh yea, the Hurst floor shifter has so much slop in it you never know what gear you are in and it will start in gear. The headlights, taillights and brake lights work, so I won't be debugging that.

Thanks,
railroad

watch for some pics,
I will try posting tonight

I got 3 pics of the Purple Bandit posted. When I first looked at the car, there was nothing l liked about it. The price got real good and, well you see what happened.

railroad

geeeez, I drew a picture of that car in 1962!:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back