Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Suggestion - Upgrade from IE6

estesken

I think it might be helpful if on the top of opening portal page there was a note that IE6 users will have to upgrade to view this forum. I spent the last few days with unviewable post, IE lock ups and odd page layouts. I’ll bet there are others that have given up. IE8 fixed my issues.

Thank you Mike and supporters for keeping this forum a alive.

I was having the exact same issues using IE6. So I finally got around to installing Firefox and it's all good now. I've had Firefox on my home computer since 2.0 and love it, but I just hadn't gotten around to installing it on the office computer. Wow, what a difference in speed!! Wish I hadn't waited so long.

Well, I must say I am amazed. Over the last 30 days, 16.24% of the visitors to this site have been running Internet Exploder 6.
People, people, people... :pilot:

IE 6 was the talk of the town. Back in 2001, fer Petes' sake!

Invision doesn't rely on tables as vBulletin did. Invision makes use of CSS for the style of the site and it makes everything much cleaner and faster. One of the biggest problems with IE 6, other than the fact that it is full of security holes (note the date on that article - 2003!!), it crashes at the least hint of modern code (that link just crashed your IE, didn't it?), it requires a major workaround to display Flash, is that it uses a worthless CSS model.

Now I'm not here to tell you what browser you have to use. Use whatever you want. But don't have me chasing the wind, trying to track down a problem cropping up with your 8 year-old, out-dated browser.

There are several options out there. Back in the Dark Ages (2 years ago, or so), browsers actually started featuring tabbed browsing. Every updated browser uses tabs these days and I don't know how anyone uses the InterWeb without them.

The most popular alternative to IE is to download Firefox.

Or download Opera. In my not-so-humble opinion, Opera 'feels' like IE, so you IE guys will like it.

Or download Safari.

Or download Google Chrome.

If you just have to show your allegiance to Bill Gates & Co., download Internet Explorer 8.

16.24% of you are running IE 6. It's out of date. 36.30% of you are running IE 7. It's out of date. Of the five options above, downloading all of them will cost you nothing but a bit of time. Grab all of them and play with them until you find one you like. No money is necessary.

For those of you running Firefox (and yes, at least one or two of you are still running Firefox 2.0.0.20), version 3.5.5 is current. Upgrade. It's free.

Well, I must say I am amazed. Over the last 30 days, 16.24% of the visitors to this site have been running Internet Exploder 6.
People, people, people...
faint.gif

IE 6 was the talk of the town. Back in 2001, fer Petes' sake!

Invision doesn't rely on tables as vBulletin did. Invision makes use of CSS for the style of the site and it makes everything much cleaner and faster. One of the biggest problems with IE 6, other than the fact that it is full of security holes (note the date on that article - 2003!!), it crashes at the least hint of modern code (that link just crashed your IE, didn't it?), it requires a major workaround to display Flash, is that it uses a worthless CSS model.

Now I'm not here to tell you what browser you have to use. Use whatever you want. But don't have me chasing the wind, trying to track down a problem cropping up with your 8 year-old, out-dated browser.

There are several options out there. Back in the Dark Ages (2 years ago, or so), browsers actually started featuring tabbed browsing. Every updated browser uses tabs these days and I don't know how anyone uses the InterWeb without them.

The most popular alternative to IE is to download Firefox.

Or download Opera. In my not-so-humble opinion, Opera 'feels' like IE, so you IE guys will like it.

Or download Safari.

Or download Google Chrome.

If you just have to show your allegiance to Bill Gates & Co., download Internet Explorer 8.

16.24% of you are running IE 6. It's out of date. 36.30% of you are running IE 7. It's out of date. Of the five options above, downloading all of them will cost you nothing but a bit of time. Grab all of them and play with them until you find one you like. No money is necessary.

For those of you running Firefox (and yes, at least one or two of you are still running Firefox 2.0.0.20), version 3.5.5 is current. Upgrade. It's free.

I hear what you are saying Mike, but I’ll probably be in trouble when our school IT folks find out that I updated something without them. I bought 16 laptops and 1 desktop last year and was required to roll them back to XP. I checked today and about half are running ie6 and the other half ie7. Around here, something has to be broken before it will get fixed or updated. I just thought a note on front page might help others. When I was running ie6, I couldn’t even get to support page without locking. Knowing we had a new board, my first thought was that the problem was on your end. Hind site is 20/20 I guess. Thank you for everything you do and hope that someday we get to meet.

If you work in a school or business atmosphere where you are running IE 6 on networked computers, show this thread to your IT staff.

One of my biggest beefs about vBulletin was the use of tables. They have finally embraced the use of CSS in their newest release, so even if we had remained in the vBulletin rut, IE 6 users were going to be in trouble.

You can still watch videotapes on a black & white television, but when it comes down to taking advantage of today's technology, that is a system that needs some serious upgrading. The same with IE 6, only with one advantage - IE 8 costs nothing, whereas a new entertainment system will set you back a few dollars.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back