Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T-Boy Body

The saga continues. Here are a few more photos of the progress including the interior back, sides, tranny tunnel, trunk strut installed and shifter located and installed.

T-Boy20091005001.jpg

T-Boy20091005002.jpg

T-Boy20091005003.jpg

T-Boy20091005007.jpg

T-Boy20091005008.jpg

Looking good! One question though, is it an optical illusion or do you only have a few inches of rear suspension travel before the rear end housing hits the frame crossmember? And I thought my rear travel was tight!

BenT, If you look at his earlier pictures, you'll see there is more room above the pumpkin. My guess is, as he adds more weight in the building of his body, the rear suspension is compressing. He should be able to adjust the springs on the coil-overs for more lift, or go with a stiffer spring later when he's done.

benT said:
Looking good! One question though, is it an optical illusion or do you only have a few inches of rear suspension travel before the rear end housing hits the frame crossmember? And I thought my rear travel was tight!

Good observaton, but I have yet to cut out the inner wells and put in the tubs. I will have about 5" when it is done.

RexRod said:
BenT, If you look at his earlier pictures, you'll see there is more room above the pumpkin. My guess is, as he adds more weight in the building of his body, the rear suspension is compressing. He should be able to adjust the springs on the coil-overs for more lift, or go with a stiffer spring later when he's done.

Oops, I misread Ben's comment. This is an optical illussion, it is the angle of the photo. Also, this was a running car and had no problem (witht that anyway)

I have made some progress with the right side quarter panel and fender. This went together in five separate pieces that were individually formed. Thus far, they are only stitch welded and attached to the sub frame in the same manner. I am glad that the buck (sheet metal form) has been removed and progress is being made. Here are a few photos of the work.

T-Boy20091012001.jpg

T-Boy20091012002.jpg

T-Boy20091012003.jpg

T-Boy20091012004.jpg

T-Boy20091012005.jpg

T-Boy20091012006.jpg

T-Boy20091012007.jpg

This is one from the inside of the trunk.

RexRod said:
Holy Cow! That's an ambitious metal forming part! Not easy to do. Nice job. :cool:

Now pick your R-8 collets up off the floor. :D
Actualy, like everything else we enthusiasts produce, its about the tools and a bit of knowledge. For the record, this project is my very first attempt at metal forming of sheet metal of any kind.

As for the collets, mine live in a nice rack next to the mill, the ones on the floor were just given to me along with many new end mills by a retired shop teacher and I havent made it a point to find a place for them yet. I figured they couldnt fall much further than the floor due to gravity. :) I guess I have to be careful what content is in my photos. Nothing to say about the cat litter buckets?? LOL

HAceT said:
Your making me want to build me an all metal T. Just curious about how much it'll weigh after all said and done. I know it should be lighter than a car but still curious.

Go for it! If I can do it, so can anyone else.

Based upon the weight of the individual sheets of 20 gauge, coupled with the lengths of 3/4" x 3/4" square tubing used, I have estimated the total weight to be near 425 pounds.

RexRod said:
All I can say is Wow! If this project is your first go at coach building, I am super impressed.

Thanks, me too. I am definately much less intimidated by metal shaping now. the second side is going much faster too. ;)

You sir, have some serious chops. I'm looking at this and am still shaking my head with incredulity. that was the only word I could come up with that accurately describes my mental state right now. Hats off to you :D

Noob said:
You sir, have some serious chops. I'm looking at this and am still shaking my head with incredulity. that was the only word I could come up with that accurately describes my mental state right now. Hats off to you :rolleyes:

Thanks Noob, I appreciate your comment... I will keep up the good work. LOL

After getting both quarter panels and fenders completed, I friend came by to check out the progress. After viewing the project as a whole, he made what I now think was a great comment/suggestion. He suggested that I make the front portion of the fenders straight, in lieu of towing inward as they were. You can see in the attached before and after photos how this made a big difference in the overall stance. At least I think so. Your thoughts?

T-Boy20091016002.jpg

Marked and ready to cut.
T-Boy20091016005.jpg

Here is the new piece.
T-Boy20091016007.jpg

tapered piece cut out.
T-Boy20091016006.jpg

New piece formed and ready to go in.
T-Boy20091016008.jpg

Clamped and ready to weld in place.

T-Boy20091016009.jpg

Welded in.

T-Boy20091016010.jpg

Ok, here is the overall look from the front at this point. :ciao:

That is just crazy talent! I'm jealous of your shop, cat litter buckets and all.:cool:

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the great comments.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back