Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T BUCKET for Bonneville

CARS34PHORD

Had a person ask about Bonneville. I'm getting parts together for a 23 T modified roadster for Bonneville salt flats. He ask how to do it, first get a rulebook from SCTA. Don't think your going to be in the 200 mph club an get a red hat. that is very hard (mo money) I spent 4 yrs building a 1934 ford coupe with a 509 blowin fuel b/b chevy engine. got to the salt first time in 2004. Passed teck first try, Capt. Billy Hodges did the teck inspection. Billy passed this last winter RIP. he had a few of those red hats. Let me back up a bit the 509 fuel Chevy 6:71 an all . I had never tried to do this before built the engine from swapmeet junk rebuilt. An tuned by cell phone from my buddy Rick Bitz in Canada, top fuel boat racer an the builder of the fiberglass body that was used on the car. Now at Bonneville you need a heavy car to go fast mine was 3600 lbs with 54% of it on the front wheels makes it harder to spin the thing. No fun going 200 with the ass of the car leading the way. went 165+ with the car in 2004 came home some changes clutch smoked got a better one. It takes a beatin with the 2.47 gear in the rear end. So back in 2005 made 2 passes and the rains came in 10 mins there was a foot of water on the salt. Then in 2006 went back run the car Sunday morning, went 185 + was in impound for record run on Monday morning run a 189+ for the first record in AA/BFCALT class( AA= 500 inch an up B=supercharged F= fuel C=classic coupe or sedan 1928 to 1980 ALT= body top chop channeled no fenders filled grill area) Then on wed noon went 199.98 got my record up back in inpound thur morning run 191.35 upped record to record 192.29 morning was real cool think it needed more heat in the engine car just laid down in the 5 mile, but now I have the first record in the class at Bonneville then Friday about noon run a 204.14 out the back door an eat the clutch agin so no backup runs so the 192.29 record was in the books till 2008 when Hot Rod Magazine took my record with there 1980 camaro coupe with a 249+ speed. the ol coupe run out of aero when it got to 200 mph went I went 204 the tack recall said that it should have been 219 so at the 5 mile I was spinning the rear tires an the clutch was smoked agin. now i want my wife to get a record with the T roadster blowin fuel GMC 6 engine class has a soft record of 121 mph putting a auto in this car no more smoked clutches photo of the 34 coupe

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0001.pdf
    876.7 KB · Views: 19
Great story and awesome effort! Lots of frustration though I imagine. You have to be very patient with an entire year between events too. What a bummer that Hot Rod knocked down your beautiful coupe, especially with a '80 Camaro. But as they say, records are made to be broken. I did a lot of racing through the '80's (mostly dirt track & road racing) so I know the feeling of frustration and heartache that comes along with it. But also the highs, like when you set those records you must have been on cloud nine man! I've always admired the patience and dedication you and all the LSR people have for your sport. Bravo!

Had a person ask about Bonneville. (1) I'm getting parts together for a 23 T modified roadster for Bonneville salt flats. He ask how to do it, first get a rulebook from SCTA. Don't think your going to be in the 200 mph club an get a red hat. that is very hard (mo money) I spent 4 yrs building a 1934 ford coupe with a 509 blowin fuel b/b chevy engine. got to the salt first time in 2004. (2) Passed teck first try, Capt. Billy Hodges did the teck inspection. Billy passed this last winter RIP. he had a few of those red hats. Let me back up a bit the 509 fuel Chevy 6:71 an all . I had never tried to do this before built the engine from swapmeet junk rebuilt. An tuned by cell phone from my buddy Rick Bitz in Canada, top fuel boat racer an the builder of the fiberglass body that was used on the car. Now at Bonneville you need a heavy car to go fast mine was 3600 lbs with 54% of it on the front wheels makes it harder to spin the thing. No fun going 200 with the ass of the car leading the way. went 165+ with the car in 2004 came home some changes clutch smoked got a better one. It takes a beatin with the 2.47 gear in the rear end. So back in 2005 made 2 passes and the rains came in 10 mins there was a foot of water on the salt. Then in 2006 went back run the car Sunday morning, went 185 + was in impound for record run on Monday morning run a 189+ for the first record in AA/BFCALT class( AA= 500 inch an up B=supercharged F= fuel C=classic coupe or sedan 1928 to 1980 ALT= body top chop channeled no fenders filled grill area) Then on wed noon went 199.98 got my record up back in inpound thur morning run 191.35 upped record to record 192.29 morning was real cool think it needed more heat in the engine car just laid down in the 5 mile, (3) but now I have the first record in the class at Bonneville then Friday about noon run a 204.14 out the back door an eat the clutch agin so no backup runs so the 192.29 record was in the books till 2008 when Hot Rod Magazine took my record with there 1980 camaro coupe with a 249+ speed. the ol coupe run out of aero when it got to 200 mph went I went 204 the tack recall said that it should have been 219 so at the 5 mile I was spinning the rear tires an the clutch was smoked agin. now i want my wife to get a record with the T roadster blowin fuel GMC 6 engine class has a soft record of 121 mph putting a auto in this car no more smoked clutches photo of the 34 coupe

That's some great memories !!! Love the story!

That was me that asked about Bonneville, would like to go some day, but it's not likely to happen.

(1) Sounds like you are going back again with a 23 T, did I get that right?

(2) About tech inspection, did you have any help before you got to Bonneville. Or did you go all the way to Bonneville not knowing what would happen in tech inspection?

(3) That is so great !!! Did you get any sleep that night? :)

With nothing around for miles, do you feel like you are going 200 mph or does it seem much slower? Like going 550 in an airplane, with no reference around it's hard to tell.

I think it should be easy for everyone to see the car, so I'm posting it again.

AA-BFCALT-Recordf-Holder.jpg

Yes going agin 2015 I hope , tech read rule book over an over agin. Yes only speed is the rpm on the tack no poles trees to judge the speed like air plane landing don,t think you are going forward untill the wheels hit the ground, not the same but close. Sleep, whats that LOL. Took small amount of time to get down 6/7 miles turn off course wait for push truck. Whats taking them so long when they pushed me up to 70 75 mph before I took off an drove away from them. Thanks for fixing the photo will post photos of the new car later in the next month guys

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back