Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket Interiors

409T, I can't see it, but did you kerf that panel to get the curve?
No, it is 1/4" bending plywood. The plywood itself is special stuff with the grain in all the plies running in the same direction so it will bend easily. Probably could wrap a full sheet around a basketball. You put two (or more) pieces together with glue in the middle, clamp them in the shape you want and when the glue dries they hold that shape.

No, it is 1/4" bending plywood. The plywood itself is special stuff with the grain in all the plies running in the same direction so it will bend easily. Probably could wrap a full sheet around a basketball. You put two (or more) pieces together with glue in the middle, clamp them in the shape you want and when the glue dries they hold that shape.

Sweet! I've never heard of it.

I just Googled it. Fantastic stuff. That's a game changer. Thanks for the info!
Radius Bending Plywood | Bendable & Flexible Plywood

Last edited:
Yea, that sounds like good stuff, too.

You've probably seen this already (but pics are no longer linked by photobucket), but for our last build, we cut down a Chrysler Mini-van middle seat. Got it from the local U-Pull for cheap. We cut off the armrest and the floor mounts and did a few mods to the frame to allow for the seat to bolt down through the floor and frame. The frame and foam was narrowed about 3-1/2" and rewelded and foam glued. The seat bottom can swing up to allow access to the battery, toolbox, small personals tray, and the wiring panel. Since it uses the factory seat spring suspension and foam, it is very comfortable - more so than my fabricated seat in my '27. Minus the upholstery job, we have about $60 in it for the seat, and misc brackets we used. Here are a few pics - I have more detailed pics on how we modified the frame if desired.

IMG_0172_zpsqm9hruzm.JPG IMG_2798_zpsfh9922pu.JPG
temporary_zps00729ffd.JPG temporary_zps63288edd.JPG

Yes, it will be. We have them in stock but have not sorted out the pricing because the steel structure for the door is not quite done.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCH! Now, my ideas are on over load. Patiently waiting for a price.......

Last edited:
You've probably seen this already (but pics are no longer linked by photobucket), but for our last build, we cut down a Chrysler Mini-van middle seat. Got it from the local U-Pull for cheap. We cut off the armrest and the floor mounts and did a few mods to the frame to allow for the seat to bolt down through the floor and frame. The frame and foam was narrowed about 3-1/2" and rewelded and foam glued. The seat bottom can swing up to allow access to the battery, toolbox, small personals tray, and the wiring panel. Since it uses the factory seat spring suspension and foam, it is very comfortable - more so than my fabricated seat in my '27. Minus the upholstery job, we have about $60 in it for the seat, and misc brackets we used. Here are a few pics - I have more detailed pics on how we modified the frame if desired.

What year mini vans?

These Rotten Leonard's Bomber Style seats just moved to the top of my list. Can't beat the price, look and adaptability. $300 for a pair. They come padded and can be made any width I need. I'm still looking at other options and playing with ideas, but not as much.

Hot Rod bomber Seats

rl_seats.JPG

Fred,
I really like Ben T's seat, but at 6'1" (270#), I need all the leg and belly room I can get. I really couldn't get by with the thick seat back. Since I keep my top on most of the time I have to slide across the seat when I get in. That eliminated bomber seats for me. I originally had a 3/4 plywood flat seat with 3 inches of foam. This wasn't very comfortable and it felt like I was sitting on the T not in the T.

I cut out the 2 seat portions and made a spring system out of 1/16" welding rods and staples with the springs from a helicopter rotor head droop stops I had. I covered that with 2 inches of foam.

It rides much-much better and now I set down in the bucket.

Attachments

• Under seat 9-21-17.jpg
    Under seat 9-21-17.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Seat bottom 9-21-17.jpg
    Seat bottom 9-21-17.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 93
I used 1/8" bendable ply and laminated it to form my seat back . Just waterproof glue and clamps THEN a lawyer of glass. Worked great.

Depending on how thick my side panels will be, I could probably end up with about 38-39" to play with. However, a T Bucket body widens as you move to the rear towards the back. so I could get the 3" back. 40" is plenty for 2 regular buckets. At this point, I'm leaning towards buckets and that brings me back to the Empi seats or the Corbeaus. The Empi's are 19 1/4" wide and 18" front to back. So, they would work. The Corbeau buckets (my choice between the two) are 22" wide and 22" front to back. They would be a tight fit, but workable, if raised off the floor an inch or two.... maybe.

Both the Empi and Corbeau seats are simple, which would look better in my interior, than Leonards seats. So, with that in mind and other than the width, the deciding factor between the two, would be that the Corbeaus have 3 dedicated slots for the seat belts. A major plus.

EMPI® 62-2880-0 - Race-Trim Roadster Lowback Bucket Seat, Black, Vinyl, Medium

Baja Low Back - Fixed Back Seats - Corbeau Racing Seats

So, I'm hoping that when the body arrives and I can play with the measurements, I can get the Corbeaus to work. Otherwise, it'll be the Empis.

What year mini vans?
If you are asking about mini van seats, I found one from a mid 90's chrystler 96', I think, was about right. I had to remove the arm rest, but it would have fit ok with minimal mods. I did, however modify it because I was, am, trying to get as much space as possible, but I have a standard '23 tub with manual shift. I listed the details in my photos, if the FB didn't remove them.

I thought you guys with a door or doors, would like to see a pretty cool door return setup. This was built by "Blue One", on the HAMB and is in his '27 Roadster P/U. As you can see, as the door is opened it pulls an assembly with a spring attached. The slot keeps the door from opening too far. The only thing I'd do, is install a roll pin behind the strap. His cars not done, so I'm sure he thought of that too. Kinda neat.

door_spring.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back