Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket Interiors

Ben T, I like the compartments you guys installed. Very nice!

bent_seat.JPG

I thought you guys with a door or doors, would like to see a pretty cool door return setup. This was built by "Blue One", on the HAMB and is in his '27 Roadster P/U. As you can see, as the door is opened it pulls an assembly with a spring attached. The slot keeps the door from opening too far. The only thing I'd do, is install a roll pin behind the strap. His cars not done, so I'm sure he thought of that too. Kinda neat.

View attachment 14057
cool! Love seeing people come up with different ideas.

Okay, here's the quick sketch for my idea on a one piece bench seat assembly. The inside edges of the upholstered cushions, where the bottom of the back and the rear of the bench meet, could be beveled. Or not, for a tighter fit. The entire assembly would weigh less that 20 lbs. The cushions are 3" firm foam. Covered in black vinyl. The frame work is made of metal strips, 1 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick. The back and bottom are bent at a 70* angle. Cut to size and welded. The cushions are bolted to the frame work. Not shown are rubber "stops or bumpers", on the upper corners of the back. To keep the frame corners from cutting the rear body lining. Thoughts or input?

I forgot to add the pins in front. And I'd have a 4" bolster in bottom cushion, but I forgot to include it in the sketch. Hey, it's a QUICK sketch!

IMG_1792.JPG

Or.....you could just make a seat bottom with webbing and upholster the back panel. Attaching it like Speedway does. That would free up a lot of room and eliminate a metal frame all together.

Are you going to use nylon webbing? My body has 3 plywood "ribs" on the back supporting the back, it had three matching "ribs" on the floor (it wasn't channeled) I cut out the floor out so I can channel it and I have to see if the tunnel will get in the way of the middle rib yet

Are you going to use nylon webbing? My body has 3 plywood "ribs" on the back supporting the back, it had three matching "ribs" on the floor (it wasn't channeled) I cut out the floor out so I can channel it and I have to see if the tunnel will get in the way of the middle rib yet

These are just thoughts and ideas I'm playing with. I'm undecided on whether to make my own seating or buy seats. But yes, if I was to do a bench, I'd use webbing.

I just did a set with plywood bottoms, no webbing. Forget that, use webbing. That set is now out waiting for tomorrow's trash pick-up. Here's a picture of the Rotten Leonard ones that I just finished for my Model A. They have Mazda Miata bottom frames and foam on plywood backs. The backs will probably be changed to webbing or something else later, they are a little stiff but will do for the moment.

seats.jpg

I just did a set with plywood bottoms, no webbing. Forget that, use webbing. That set is now out waiting for tomorrow's trash pick-up. Here's a picture of the Rotten Leonard ones that I just finished for my Model A. They have Mazda Miata bottom frames and foam on plywood backs. The backs will probably be changed to webbing or something else later, they are a little stiff but will do for the moment.

seats.jpg

409, I've seen the bottom of Leonard's seats and it appears it could be cut out and webbing added. Maybe it was the angle and size of the pics? I like the look of his seats and the price, but being I like to drive a lot, a hard base is a downer.:(

seats.jpg

409, I've seen the bottom of Leonard's seats and it appears it could be cut out and webbing added. Does it look like an option?

409, I've seen the bottom of Leonard's seats and it appears it could be cut out and webbing added. Does it look like an option?
I just bought the 4 sides from Rotten Leonard and added my own seat bottoms and backs and then did my own upholstery so I don't know if you can modify his completed seats or not.

I just bought the 4 sides from Rotten Leonard and added my own seat bottoms and backs and then did my own upholstery so I don't know if you can modify his completed seats or not.

Thanks!

I looked at Rotten Leonards website and he sells just the side pieces for $100. I think they could be used to make a very nice bench seat. Even with the wood, foam and upholstery, it wouldn't weigh that much and the entire assembly could be removable. The only draw back is the loss of space, due to the seat leaning back.

rl_bench2.jpg

The red bench has a taper on the seat.

rl_bench.jpg

I think the reinforcement could be a little longer, but the idea has merit and is worth consideration.

rl_bench_underneath.jpg

Last edited:
Fred, the "rake angle" of the back of the seat is there for proper comfort. An engineer once told me that the preferred angle should be about 22 degrees. My seat has the backrest at 25 degrees from vertical and the seat bottom at 15 degrees from horizontal. My wife, Nan, and I have spent many pleasurable miles in that seat with a great deal of comfort. Considering the we are both in our mid seventies and we both have arthritis I consider that a great recommendation for a proper seat build.

Jim

Fred, the "rake angle" of the back of the seat is there for proper comfort. An engineer once told me that the preferred angle should be about 22 degrees. My seat has the backrest at 25 degrees from vertical and the seat bottom at 15 degrees from horizontal. My wife, Nan, and I have spent many pleasurable miles in that seat with a great deal of comfort. Considering the we are both in our mid seventies and we both have arthritis I consider that a great recommendation for a proper seat build.

Jim

Jim, there's no doubt that the angle is good for back support. I just felt that people should take note, that if they choose that route, there is a sacrifice and that's space. Depending on the seat angle and where it's mounted, it could be minimal. RL's are 22 degrees.

I am going a different route with my T-bucket. I plan to use diamond plate aluminum sheet for the flooring. I was thinking of 1/4' thick. Would that be sufficient or should I go thicker? The car will see some track time so needs to be strong. The aluminum will be bolted to steel tabs welded to the frame.

Thanks

SM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back