Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket Interiors

I've really enjoyed this thread, good information and ideas. I've made a bit more progress on my interior, not through yet but getting closer.

I also used 3/4" plywood for bench seat with cutouts and webbing on the seat bottom. There are two t-nuts in the front with bolts screwed through and sticking out the bottom which go through holes in tabs fastened to the cross front seat frame. Modified the CCR cross frame to lower the front of the seat bottom slightly and the back edge of the seat bottom rests on the floor. That minimized space under the seat bottom so fuse box is mounted behind the seat on the tub.
Seat bottom.jpg

Initially, I left the seat back solid:

Seat wood frame.jpg

Later, decided to do cutouts in the seat back as well. Don't have a picture of that but done the same as seat bottom with webbing.

Seat bottom foam has slightly raised bolster across front:

Seat bottom foam.jpg

Here is a picture of current progress, door and front right side panels being done now:

Seat 11-1-17.jpg

Thanks for looking! Please feel free to offer any suggestions.

Jerry

I've really enjoyed this thread, good information and ideas. I've made a bit more progress on my interior, not through yet but getting closer.

I also used 3/4" plywood for bench seat with cutouts and webbing on the seat bottom. There are two t-nuts in the front with bolts screwed through and sticking out the bottom which go through holes in tabs fastened to the cross front seat frame. Modified the CCR cross frame to lower the front of the seat bottom slightly and the back edge of the seat bottom rests on the floor. That minimized space under the seat bottom so fuse box is mounted behind the seat on the tub.
View attachment 14329

Initially, I left the seat back solid:

View attachment 14330

Later, decided to do cutouts in the seat back as well. Don't have a picture of that but done the same as seat bottom with webbing.

Seat bottom foam has slightly raised bolster across front:

View attachment 14331

Here is a picture of current progress, door and front right side panels being done now:

View attachment 14332

Thanks for looking! Please feel free to offer any suggestions.

Jerry

Very nice!

So, I've been checking seat height and angle. I had my seat all the way back, but when I sat in it, it seemed like I was sitting straight up! Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Then, I remembered a while back, that I raised my rear shocks to the highest setting, fearing that the body may be too wide for tire clearance. This had given me a bigger rake. So, today I dropped the shocks to the lowest level (5" below axle center), have plenty of tire clearance and my seat angle is about 13 degrees and feels good. All is right in the world.:)

That got me feeling good, so I ordered the material for the body panels. I ordered twice what I should need, because honestly, doing the panels is feeling like they're going to be a real bitch. The inner lip of the body starts out at about 5/8" deep on the passenger side and as it goes along towards the back, it becomes a little deeper. In the middle of the back, it's 3/4". Goes to 5/8" after the other curve, then widens to 1" at the door.

So, I figure I can go with 1/4" thick wood strips along the top edge and since I was going to use a thin layer of foam on the panels, add more foam where the lip gets wider. I think 1/4" wood strips would be enough for the screws that will hold the upholstery. I plan on using 1/8" Luan for the panels. As for the rear curved areas.......... I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I have a few ideas.

Last edited:
Hmm.......on second thought, I think I can go with 1/2" wood strips. More meat for the screw threads.

Got off work and loaded up on supplies for the side and back panels. What I didn't get, I priced and noted the location. I plan on building the base for my seat tonight.

The classic rock station on the radio came through. I had already measured and marked my wood. A T Bucket base is pretty simple, so I didn't take any assembly pics. It's just a matter of planning and putting it together so it's strong. I used 3/4" plywood for the middle piece. 3/4" yellow pine for the back and side pieces. Those pieces were attached to 2 x 4's front and rear. I used the 2 x 4's as an anchor for all the other pieces. I installed corner braces in all the corners. I also cut a hole in the lower side of the middle and side pieces, in order to run my wiring through to the fuse box, which will be installed in one of the compartments.

full

full

full

Later today, I'll paint it black and call it done!

That is looking very stout!!! Are you wanting to make the body stiffer with the 2x4s and 3/4 inch plywood?

That is looking very stout!!! Are you wanting to make the body stiffer with the 2x4s and 3/4 inch plywood?

The body is plenty stout as is. CCR's bodies don't require wood bracing. I used the rear 2 x 4 because I plan to bolt the assembly in through the bottom and as stated, the other pieces are anchored to it, at some point. The corner braces are a bit of over kill on my part. I didn't plan on using so many. They were 98 cents for two at Lowes, so I just grabbed a few handfuls. As I was building, I was listening to the radio and day dreaming. Before I knew it, every corner had a brace on it!:D But since I'm not glassing the base in, that's actually a good thing.

I plan on using a drop down battery box, so I won't need to cut out a battery access hole. I was going to paint it today, but it's 47 degrees and raining here. I'm wussing out and staying warm, planning the side panels. The foam and material won't be here until early next week, so I'm just kicking back and researching how to upholster those dang rear corners. I have a couple ideas already, so I'm really just trying to decide which way will look better.

I guess you did consider the Odyssey PC680 that would fit under the seat laying down. Only
need two holes for the battery cables going thru the floor.

And now, wallet talk. My choice for bucket seats would have been $425 for a pair. My DIY bench seat came to about $250. Half of that was for Rotten Leonard's seat brackets. So, I think I did very well. The bucket seats would have looked better than my DIY seat and they may find their way into my car one day. But for now, I'm very happy with what I have.

I guess you did consider the Odyssey PC680 that would fit under the seat laying down. Only

Never heard of it or seen one. I'll check it out.

I Googled it and it looks good. The CCA's are lower than I like, but it appears to be a good battery, for the price. Considering the drop down battery box I'm looking at cost almost $100, this could be a nice deal. Thanks, I'll definitely check them out a bit more.

Odyssey PC680 Battery

Last edited:
You getting a commission?:D
I wish !!!

Remember if it fails when you are out-of-town, it will be hard to find a replacement. It happened to me on
the way to a NTBA event. Luck was with me when another TBucket came by on a trailer. We traded places
and I made it to the hotel. Also luck would have it another member had a brand new one still in the box,
saved my ass !!!

I wish !!!

Remember if it fails when you are out-of-town, it will be hard to find a replacement. It happened to me on
the way to a NTBA event. Luck was with me when another TBucket came by on a trailer. We traded places
and I made it to the hotel. Also luck would have it another member had a brand new one still in the box,
saved my ass !!!

Yeah, I considered that, but honestly, it's still worth it. And in a pinch, I could buy a regular battery and set it on the floor, in order to get home. If need be!:D

I have used one of these batteries for about 10 years in the Yelot and have never had to replace or jump the car....I also carry an extra with me on any fun run just in case, Bill Darr does also it sure did help Rick (indycars) at the lake of the Ozarks.............I have the same battery in three of my cars and put my extra one in my 1956 Ford pickup when I drive it.......For the 100 bucks and the size you can not beat it......

Fred you type faster than me..........LOL......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back