Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket meets tree

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
One of our local customers hit a tree last night in his bucket. He is fine but the front axle is not. While the axle is all bent and the steering was broken also. The Vega steering box ripped from it mount. His RPM radius rods were not hurt at all.

What caused this was his throttle hung wide open.
johnsaxle.jpg

One of our local customers hit a tree last night in his bucket. He is fine but the front axle is not. While the axle is all bent and the steering was broken also. The Vega steering box ripped from it mount. His RPM radius rods were not hurt at all.

What caused this was his throttle hung wide open.
johnsaxle.jpg
I have lots of questions, but first, is the tree all right? Next up, is that a forged or cast axle? Looks bent, so I would say a forged unit. I could be wrong. Where did the car impact? At what speed? How would a tube axle have fared? Was the Vega box a cross steer? Can you tell us why the throttle hung open? How much to fix it back to driving? Along w/parts description.

Just kidding 'bout the tree (but you know, they have feelings too), good to hear that your friends "learning experience" wasn't too painful, and heres to speedy repairs, John

Was there a double spring on the throttle as required by the NSRA to pass the Safety 23? That is the main reason for the double spring so that if a return spring were to break there is another one for a safety backup so that the throttle does not stick open.

Jim

Was there a double spring on the throttle as required by the NSRA to pass the Safety 23? That is the main reason for the double spring so that if a return spring were to break there is another one for a safety backup so that the throttle does not stick open.

Jim

I am not that familiar with the car. This poor guy has the worst luck. He bought this car of of Craigs List a little over a year ago. It was a local car. On the way home the frame literally broke in half. He called a rollback and got it towed home. That's when I first met him. So we built him a new bare chassis. He switched all the parts over himself. Didn't have it back running too long and he put a rod through the oil pan. So new engine and fresh up the tranny. Now this.

Oh by the way this was a 383 stroker with dual quads so it is no slouch in the power dept.

I have lots of questions, but first, is the tree all right? Next up, is that a forged or cast axle? Looks bent, so I would say a forged unit. I could be wrong. Where did the car impact? At what speed? How would a tube axle have fared? Was the Vega box a cross steer? Can you tell us why the throttle hung open? How much to fix it back to driving? Along w/parts description.

Just kidding 'bout the tree (but you know, they have feelings too), good to hear that your friends "learning experience" wasn't too painful, and heres to speedy repairs, John

Is the tree hurt. No don't think so.
It is a Henry Ford forged axle.
I would say the impact was on the right front wheel.
What speed? I don't know and he probably don't either.
A tube axle would probably do the same thing.
The Vega was cross steer.
I don't know why the throttle hung, but you can guess he will fix it.
$$$$$$$$$$$$ wise I would say less than $1000 he said he broke the glass in the windshield when he hit it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back