Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T bucket newbie

Jeddie

Well, I figured I would start a build thread instead of having a hundred different posts all over the forum. I acquired my tbucket on a trade and didn't really know anything about them. I had seen them before at car shows and thought "what a cool car" but I never thought I would own one. Once I got mine home I started doing a lot of reading and researching in the internet. Man, I did not realize there was a whole other world of tbuckets. I thought it was just another kit car and very expensive to build. I really enjoy working on my tbucket. I also greatly value the knowledge on this forum. Anyways, I will get onto the car. It is a stretched body from an unknown manufacture and supposedly the frame was welded in a jig. It came with a 5.0 302 ford motor and transmission that I believe are in working order ( yet to be determined). The wheelbase is 118" and the bed is 39" not 42" like I said in another post. I don't know where I came up with that measurement from. The body is 58" total and the cowl is stretched to 16". A lot of the welds don't look so good so I am in the process of redoing most of them. The frame was also welded crooked at the kickup. I have cut it loose and I am in the middle of straightening now. Wow, I do not believe I have wrote this much since high school. Now for the pics!!!

The actual frame welds look ok but the stuff that was added to the frame like motor mounts and springs hangers just look horrible. I am trying to clean them up and redo them. This is how the motor mount started.

Almost got it cleaned up ;)

Just make sure you don't grind so much away that you are actually weakening it by making the metal too thin....I don't know if you re-welded it, but if you are taking an already bad weld and grinding most of it away along with the surrounding metal, it can only make it worse...

Those attempted welds show almost no penetration , you'd be far better off to cut those off , or at the very least grind them almost thru w/ a hard wheel & reweld !!! As it stands you have no way of knowing how much slag is hiding under there !!
dave

Those attempted welds show almost no penetration , you'd be far better off to cut those off , or at the very least grind them almost thru w/ a hard wheel & reweld !!! As it stands you have no way of knowing how much slag is hiding under there !!
dave

I agree 100%.

Jim

I would guess those welds were made with a flux core welder, looking at all the splatter. I would cut them out and redo them. I have a flux core welder and do not like it, and would not use it for anything that has any stress on it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back